Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Monday and a POINT to prove

OldTowner

What you will probably find is that some people will say it was all the goalkeeper's fault that we went from 1-0 up to 1-4 down in less than 25 minutes. Yes, he dropped one ball which was snapped up but we never protected him at all. What happened in the second half? He saves a penalty but East Thurrock reacted quicker than us to score another goal. Did he get any credit for the initial save? Probably not!

A poor performance all round.

What was also disturbing was the amount of verbal abuse the referee got when he allowed their 'keeper to receive attention in the second half. Why should he have told them to substitute the 'keeper? Why should he receive abuse because people thought they were wasting time? He told players that the watch had stopped so what more should he have to do? Too many people blaming others for their own poor performance.

We should be safe but funnier things have happened in football.

Some very direct comments from The Crowing Cockerel. I couldn't get up for the match yesterday, but did see the Wingate & Finchley match on Saturday. Must say I was stunned by the score-line in the East Thurrock match. Surprised there has been few comments, so far, from Towners who were there.

What is happening, and where and why is it all suddenly going so badly wrong? One thing for sure, we certainly need to get our act together again before Saturday.

Would be interested to hear what someone in the know, Vauxhallman (?) perhaps, makes of this worrying dip in form.

On your first question, shellshock, probably.

On the second I think the run of games has just caught up with people. We're carrying several injuries to key players: take Noel Imber, Jordan Lockie and Tyler Campbell out of any team and it'll struggle. In addition several others who are playing look well below 100% fit.

Poor James Chalk had a nightmare 20 minutes, not helped by the defence going walkabout for the first goal. Hopefully the penalty save will give him a bit of confidence (even though the follow-up was scored) - apart from that he didn't have much to do in the second half.

Players switched off after going 1 up after 1 minute.

Then an 18 minute period where 4 goals are conceded, game effectively over.

Let's now focus on Saturday, all teams have bad days, and hopefully with Lockie and Tyler back in the squad we'll have too much for Cray.

Also, the young East Thurrock keeper was pretty useless, so I would expect Bognor to put a few past him as they need to secure second place. But it's in our hands, a few goals from Corey, Hope, the football genius, etc and we'll all have forgotten about yesterday.

What was also disturbing was the amount of verbal abuse the referee got when he allowed their 'keeper to receive attention in the second half. Why should he have told them to substitute the 'keeper? Why should he receive abuse because people thought they were wasting time? He told players that the watch had stopped so what more should he have to do? Too many people blaming others for their own poor performance.

I think it's not just about stopping the watch for the time. The players were probably argueing that at that point we were on the ascendancy and the stoppage certainly took the sting out of the waves of attacks at that time.

I think it's not just about stopping the watch for the time. The players were probably argueing that at that point we were on the ascendancy and the stoppage certainly took the sting out of the waves of attacks at that time.

So you would expect the referee to get on with the game whilst the goalkeeper was receiving treatment?

We were in the as ascendancy after one minute and then fell apart. You cannot blame the referee for that.

So you would expect the referee to get on with the game whilst the goalkeeper was receiving treatment?

We were in the as ascendancy after one minute and then fell apart. You cannot blame the referee for that.

why not andy in rugby they dont stop the game

It was a nightmare. Doyle scored within a minute and then the defence played as though they had never been introduced. It would be easy to blame Chalk who filled in for Noel but I think he could only be blamed for two of the goals. For at least one there was absolutely no cover in the middle of the pitch. Joe Stevens had his worse game for some time as the number 11 turned him inside out so often it was embarrasing. Went in 4-1 down but played better in second half though number11 still a threat. Pulled a goal back then they got a penalty which Chalk saved but like the rest of the game ETU responded to the save quicker and scored on the rebound. However heads did not go down and Liam scored a beauty from the edge of the box.

The only player who could be pleased with his display was Corey. One time he made a tremendous run down the right only to find that he was on his own as the rest of the side were still puffing away by the centre circle.

The side lacks pace. Raheem came on and, I am told, he has pace, however I noticed that early on he was rubbing his hamstring and, sure enough, he only lasted about ten minutes.

Now we have it all to do next week and the players have to realise their summer holidays have not started yet.

why not andy in rugby they dont stop the game

The laws of the game don't allow it. You don't think FIFA will suddenly change the laws just for us because we are getting beaten.

The referee was correct in stopping play and adding on the minutes at the end. There was nothing else he needed to do.

We were happy to wait for as long as it took with Noel at Wingate on Saturday and with keepers it not as simple as someone else dropping into a different position for 5 minutes.

I think the detate is not that a Keeper should (unlike outfield players) receive treatment on the pitch,but whether a ref can be pro-active in judging what is an appropriate delay in play.Otherwise a physio could theoretically be on the field for hours.Town had only just failled to make it 3-4 in the incident that saw the keeper get a knock on the nose.We were in the 'zone' for a big finish to the game.The keeper being treated for 10 minutes totally took the heat out of the game.Not saying it was a Muhammad Ali  'split glove' incident,but the physio certainly was not in any rush,and when he motioned to leave the field time and time again,only to step forward again to dab the keepers nose for the 20-ith time,i think the ref should have been more pro-active..Ps..In my experience a referee rarely adds on all the time wasted in these sort of incidents.Indeed the ref did NOT add on the full amount of time the keeper was being treated (plus 30 seconds for each sub),let alone any other stopages. 

Regarding the keeper situation.Its a difficult one.In my opinion the young keeper was at fault for 3 of the goals,although he was let down by our players not getting to his penalty save first.Big call for George on Saturday.Hope Noel's late injury has not cost us a place in this league as I'm sure we would have got at least a point on Saturday with him in goal.

Will Jordan or Tyler be available for Saturday?

Edited by lovely stuff

All the time that blood was flowing the physio had to keep cleaning it away.

Quote from LS.

I think the detate is not that a Keeper should (unlike outfield players) receive treatment on the pitch,but whether a ref can be pro-active in judging what is an appropriate delay in play.Otherwise a physio could theoretically be on the field for hours.Town had only just failled to make it 3-4 in the incident that saw the keeper get a knock on the nose.We were in the 'zone' for a big finish to the game.The keeper being treated for 10 minutes totally took the heat out of the game.Not saying it was a Muhammad Ali 'split glove' incident,but the physio certainly was not in any rush,and when he motioned to leave the field time and time again,only to step forward again to dab the keepers nose for the 20-ith time,i think the ref should have been more pro-active.

The issue is that more often than not the physio is qualified to deal with player injuries. The referee is not. Would you expect the ref to book the physio for not tending to the player as quick as he should? No. We lost the game in the first half. Let's move on and look for promising results on Saturday.

Edited by andyetfc

Without wishing to be pedantic ;) Say the keepers nose would not stop bleeding? How long would you give it? Hours?.. What if the keepers nose started to bleed every couple of minutes after the injury was first dealt with? Would the physio be able to come on every time for an unlimited period..At some point a ref must say 'if you can't get the player ready to restart,he will have to be substituted'.

Edited by lovely stuff

I think the behaviour of some people fell well below the expected standard at our club over this event.

Just think if the roles were reversed and it was our keeper needing treatment with the opposition fans screaming for the game to restart and the keeper replaced.

I was sent off from the bench at a Ladies game during a game when this was happening and the opposition were trying to get the game restarted while one of our players was being stretchered off.

(I was innocent of what I was supposed to have said though ;-))

Edited by MbrunoB

Yes,i think some fans were a bit 'previous' in berating the ref..I know one person in particular overstepped the mark (and not for the first time - old enough to know better.)..Only after 7-8 minutes of seemily no progress in the bloke dabbing away at the keepers nose,did I make an inquiry to the referee to maybe take charge of the situation a bit more.Or at least converse with the keeper and physio and maybe give the situation a liven up,rather than being inactive and just chatting away to various players.

On another point,the feeling of the supporters around me was that after the ref called the steward over to have a word with our supporter,no further on-field decision went our way and he seemed to want to get the game over as soon as possible..I very much doubt he even added on half of the time spent treating the keeper.

Thats my rant over. :unsure: .First time I've commented a refs performance this season.

Edited by lovely stuff

Without wishing to be pedantic ;) Say the keepers nose would not stop bleeding? How long would you give it? Hours?.. What if the keepers nose started to bleed every couple of minutes after the injury was first dealt with? Would the physio be able to come on every time for an unlimited period..At some point a ref must say 'if you can't get the player ready to restart,he will have to be substituted'.

You will have to enquire at the doors to FIFA then as the referee does not have authority to tell a team to substitute a player.

Yes,i think some fans were a bit 'previous' in berating the ref..I know one person in particular overstepped the mark (and not for the first time - old enough to know better.)..Only after 7-8 minutes of seemily no progress in the bloke dabbing away at the keepers nose,did I make an inquiry to the referee to maybe take charge of the situation a bit more.Or at least converse with the keeper and physio and maybe give the situation a liven up,rather than being inactive and just chatting away to various players.

On another point,the feeling of the supporters around me was that after the ref called the steward over to have a word with our supporter,no further on-field decision went our way and he seemed to want to get the game over as soon as possible..I very much doubt he even added on half of the time spent treating the keeper.

Thats my rant over. :unsure: .First time I've commented a refs performance this season.

But nothing was done, or will be done about this so called supporter's behaviour.

No doubt on Saturday when we are winning, we will applaud the referee if he doesn't add on every second after 90 minutes. No win situation really.

Andy

Still paying your union fees I see. :-)

A match cannot be played without a referee though the fuss that is made over blood nowadays is totally unrealistic. The risk of getting an infectious disease from dried blood is virtually nil. There is greater risk from the physical nature of football.

Why is so much fuss made over a blood injury yet players are not even booked for spitting when the infectios disease riskmis so muh greater.