Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

Don't think Steve Heighway appeared until the 1970 team. The late Allan Mansley, who subsequently played for Brentford under Jimmy Sirrel, was the winger in the 1967 team-and very good he was too. The 1967 Skelmersdale side lost to Enfield in a replayed at Maine Road after Ian Wolstenholme ("Away Keith!") had saved a last minute penalty in the first match at Wembley. Also featuring for Enfield over the two games were Ian Reid, Alf D'Arcy, Laurie Churchill, John Connell, Ray Hill, Roger Day, and Joe Adams. 

2 hours ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

Don't think Steve Heighway appeared until the 1970 team. The late Allan Mansley, who subsequently played for Brentford under Jimmy Sirrel, was the winger in the 1967 team-and very good he was too. The 1967 Skelmersdale side lost to Enfield in a replayed at Maine Road after Ian Wolstenholme ("Away Keith!") had saved a last minute penalty in the first match at Wembley. Also featuring for Enfield over the two games were Ian Reid, Alf D'Arcy, Laurie Churchill, John Connell, Ray Hill, Roger Day, and Joe Adams. 

Steve Heighway played for Skelmersdale from 1966 to 1970.

I thought he played against us for Skelmersdale in that Amateur cup game in 1967 but I could easily be wrong. 

Perhaps someone with a better memory can shed some light on this.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Steve Heighway played for Skelmersdale from 1966 to 1970.

I thought he played against us for Skelmersdale in that Amateur cup game in 1967 but I could easily be wrong. 

Perhaps someone with a better memory can shed some light on this.

I was, as always, trying to be polite. He didn't play in the 1967 match, nor in either of the finals, the teams for which were set out in the FA Year Book 1967/68. Wikipedia indicates that he was at university from 1966. 

1 hour ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

I was, as always, trying to be polite. He didn't play in the 1967 match, nor in either of the finals, the teams for which were set out in the FA Year Book 1967/68. Wikipedia indicates that he was at university from 1966. 

The articles on the Skem website say he played in the 1970 game only - I guess they would know.

4 hours ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

Thanks for clearing that up KGB.

12 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Thanks for clearing that up KGB.

You're very kind. Sometimes postings on social media come across as unduly confrontational and I do try to avoid that. Certainly on this forum we are all very much on the same side.

Common sense and reason seems to have finally prevailed Seems odd to be writing that where the FA are involved but the ratification of our null and void season  I'm  sure brings 20/21 to an end and we can concentrate now on preparations ,subject to Covid19 being controlled, for 21/22  I'm sure there will still be loud noises from some but empty vessels etc.

13 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

Hhhhmmmm, most telling part of the entire statement is in the last section when listing out the people that Dorking feel for in this situation. Commercial partners first ?, before supporters, players, volunteers etc!

"Commercial partners" mentioned first and "management team" a penultimate fifth before "volunteers". 

As Marc White is the head of "management team" and all those mentioned are critical to the club being able to operate and be successful, I don't feel that there is any bias in the order in which they are mentioned.