Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen on the Chippenham fans forum that ex Oxford City and Wealdstone left back Freddie Grant has been released by Bath City.

On 22/05/2021 at 10:38, Reading Rebel said:

As we are in need of a left back Freddie Grant would be a very good signing.

I agree, and we may already have him. He would certainly be on Bakes and Unders radar. 

I didn't see enough of the games of last season to see our Norwich loanee left back play but as he is no longer with us, it is an area of concern. Bakes and Unders have recruited well at left back in the time they have been with us,so it was rather surprising they opted for a loanee last time out. To me it seemed we were trying to save money, and we may need to go that route again this season to save costs but I wouldn't think they will do it again with the left back slot. I'm expecting the defensive part of our team to have a few new recruits.

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

I agree, and we may already have him. He would certainly be on Bakes and Unders radar. 

I didn't see enough of the games of last season to see our Norwich loanee left back play but as he is no longer with us, it is an area of concern. Bakes and Unders have recruited well at left back in the time they have been with us,so it was rather surprising they opted for a loanee last time out. To me it seemed we were trying to save money, and we may need to go that route again this season to save costs but I wouldn't think they will do it again with the left back slot. I'm expecting the defensive part of our team to have a few new recruits.

Not sure about the saving money bit.

I would think it would depend on the deal that's done with the loaning club.

Defensively we need at least 2 players, a left back and a central defender to replace Sam Togwell. Any others will depend on what players are staying and which ones are leaving the club.

Of course as far as we know we still have the 8k debt to pay which won't help when it comes to financing the recruitment of players.

Edited by Reading Rebel

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Not sure about the saving money bit.

I would think it would depend on the deal that's done with the loaning club.

Defensively we need at least 2 players, a left back and a central defender to replace Sam Togwell. Any others will depend on what players are staying and which ones are leaving the club.

Of course as far as we know we still have the 8k debt to pay which won't help when it comes to financing the recruitment of players.

Well, we've done the business on the replacement goalkeeper but finding a like for like centre half with leadership qualities in place of Sam will be a challenge.

I would presume we will keep Guy, Mark and Ryan as our other centre halves, as well as the ever reliable Lee Togs as back up but with Guy's job and Mark's health condition and Ryan not getting any younger,we may have to think out of the box in how we try to remedy the situation. I would like to see if Josh Jackman could step into the heart of the defence, if we can hang on to him? He's a player I can see getting offers from other clubs above us.

I think Sean Fraser would have been on a sticky wicket this season,had coronavirus and our budget not taken a hit but because of his usefulness in different positions and that he has been so loyal to our cause being our longest serving player, I think we will now hang on to him. A new left back is a must have.

It's the first season for a good while,when the forward situation looks rosier than the defence,having addressed it with the early signing of Tom Derry, to add to Dan Roberts and Ben Harris, and if we keep Paul Hodges. We also have the possible return at some point of Ada Okorogheye.

In centre midfield I can't see many changes happening. We've nailed Matt Lench back on. Have Lee Togwell and Aaron Kuhl, and now have Scott Davies as cover and I would presume we will be hoping that Jack McKnight comes through his injury spells to be a regular starter. We may be looking out for a cheap back up for Warren Harris on the right wing, like when we had Joe Grant or the ageing Louis Soares but I don't see that happening on the left, if we get an experienced left back in and with the strong Max Worsfold over there.

Unless of course,if players decide to leave the club for pastures new.

Edited by 3spirit

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Well done to Sutton United who are promoted to the Football League as Champions after beating Hartlepool 3-0.

Those days when we used to stand under the big cover at the Dolphin and sing, "We hate Wycombe Wanderers, we hate Dagenham too, we hate Sutton United, but Slough Town we love you" seem even further away than ever now. 

2 hours ago, 3spirit said:

Well, we've done the business on the replacement goalkeeper but finding a like for like centre half with leadership qualities in place of Sam will be a challenge.

I would presume we will keep Guy, Mark and Ryan as our other centre halves, as well as the ever reliable Lee Togs as back up but with Guy's job and Mark's health condition and Ryan not getting any younger,we may have to think out of the box in how we try to remedy the situation. I would like to see if Josh Jackman could step into the heart of the defence, if we can hang on to him? He's a player I can see getting offers from other clubs above us.

I think Sean Fraser would have been on a sticky wicket this season,had coronavirus and our budget not taken a hit but because of his usefulness in different positions and that he has been so loyal to our cause being our longest serving player, I think we will now hang on to him. A new left back is a must have.

It's the first season for a good while,when the forward situation looks rosier than the defence,having addressed it with the early signing of Tom Derry, to add to Dan Roberts and Ben Harris, and if we keep Paul Hodges. We also have the possible return at some point of Ada Okorogheye.

In centre midfield I can't see many changes happening. We've nailed Matt Lench back on. Have Lee Togwell and Aaron Kuhl, and now have Scott Davies as cover and I would presume we will be hoping that Jack McKnight comes through his injury spells to be a regular starter. We may be looking out for a cheap back up for Warren Harris on the right wing, like when we had Joe Grant or the ageing Louis Soares but I don't see that happening on the left, if we get an experienced left back in and with the strong Max Worsfold over there.

Unless of course,if players decide to leave the club for pastures new.

By the sounds of what's been said already there are one or two who are looking elsewhere but as you say it's pretty much all conjecture until we know for sure who's staying and who's leaving.

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Of course the success story of Sutton is living proof that a well run part time club with what's reportedly not a big club budget can get promoted to the football league.

Compared to the numerous grounds and ground shares of Rebels, Sutton United have had 102 years of stability at their Gander Green Lane stadium :- 

Sutton United FC appear to own the freehold of the Gander Green Lane stadium but I can not find any record of when they purchased it. However :-

"During the 19th century, the Gander Green Lane site was used as allotments and open fields. A 1913 map shows the ground designated as a "Football Ground" with a small pavilion on the northern side of the pitch and a turnstile entrance in the north-western corner via the Collingwood Recreation Ground. Sutton United's first match at Gander Green Lane (then known as the Adult School Sports Ground) was in 1912 against Guards Depot F.C. in the FA Cup. Sutton left the ground at the end of the 1912–13 season as the ground became unavailable due to Sutton Adult School forming their own team. United returned to Gander Green Lane in August 1919."

Edited by Shredding Green

12 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

By the sounds of what's been said already there are one or two who are looking elsewhere but as you say it's pretty much all conjecture until we know for sure who's staying and who's leaving.

Yes but it was worth a discussion on our quiet forum ! ?

Edited by 3spirit