Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Just fell off my chair hearing that with sponsorship deals worth over 1/2 million Dorking have only got a top 8 budget  :laugh(2):

If you have a top 8 budget surely that means you could be 8th or 1st  or anywhere between!

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

Adrian, we know what it means in theory but in reality we know Dorking have one of the best if not the best budget in the division.

Exactly the point I was making wonder why you nearly fell of your chair when you found out they had one of the best/the best budgets in our league when that is widely accepted?

37 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Exactly the point I was making wonder why you nearly fell of your chair when you found out they had one of the best/the best budgets in our league when that is widely accepted?

Exactly that point.

It's widely accepted that they have probably the top budget for this division so why be ambiguous and say top 8?

Ollie Bayliss has tweeted about 15 mins ago details of the combined N/S mini league some step 2 clubs want  Means playing each team only once and involves promotion  can one of our computer savvy members put it on here  it's only my phone that's  Smart?

3 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Ollie Bayliss has tweeted about 15 mins ago details of the combined N/S mini league some step 2 clubs want  Means playing each team only once and involves promotion  can one of our computer savvy members put it on here  it's only my phone that's  Smart?

Ollie Bayliss

@Ollie_Bayliss

A group of Step 2 clubs have submitted plans for a combined division to the National League, asking for its support. They propose that each side that wishes to enter play each other once, resulting in 2 promotions (1 automatic & 1 via playoffs).

One of the few details leaked so far (all the negotiating clubs subject to non disclosure) is that clubs who voted to end the season will be invited to participate if interested  also all midweek games will be "localised" Also claimed that there will be 1 automatic promotion place and 4 teams will decide the 2nd promotion place also teams will start on a PPG basis since there are large differences in games played .

Edited by Irishadrian

10 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Would they decide who gets the home game by a toss of a coin?

No - they will use the universal decision resolver of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock, where:

"Scissors cuts paperpaper covers rockrock crushes lizardlizard poisons SpockSpock smashes scissorsscissors decapitates lizardlizard eats paperpaper disproves SpockSpock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors."

Far more intresting than just tossing a coin.

On 04/02/2021 at 13:56, Windsor Rebel said:

Another one who should not be allowed anywhere near large amounts of money. Stick to your vuvuzela.

The proposed loans were 2% pa with no arrangement fees with an initial payment holiday. So very cheap to service compared with normal commercial loans and overdrafts.

The unknown factor to me was how much greater would the losses be for any particular club if they continued to play than if they stopped playing. The proposed loans were intended to finance those losses incurred in continuing to play, which would then have to be repaid out of the income of future seasons which are not guaranteed to be rosy for all clubs.

I notice that the Borehamwood chairman Danny Hunter mentions in his statement of 8th March 2021 :-

"As it is, it will take us all many years to repay the existing debts and these Winter Survival loans with their preferential rates and terms were seen as a real help.

I now feel I’ve been misled by the governing bodies and to be told, after we had voted to continue, that my club is not now eligible for these Winter Survival loans with the long-term payment terms and preferential interest rates is a blow, as they are open to most other clubs which I feel is unjust."

At least he is writing along similar lines to what I was thinking. But Borehamwood own their stadium and had considerable non-football income from it prior to the restrictions imposed because of the pandemic.

49 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Kettering Town the latest club to refuse to play in any proposed NLS/NLS mini league.

RR, you mean any proposed NLN/NLS mini league.

There would have been no point in Kettering Town taking part when they are 18th in NLN with a better PPG than the two clubs in the relegation places.

50 minutes ago, rebelbrewer said:

An article on our (losing) tussles with Skelmersdale united here. They seem to think we were a bit rough

Interesting to read that in the 1967 replay when Skelmersdale scored and the pitch invasion took place, during the 5 minute break the ref was so 'scared and frightened' he said that if any one else ran onto the pitch he would abandon the game. In fear of another pitch invasion the Skelmersdale director then proceeded to run furiously around the ground pleading with the young supporters not to run onto the pitch. 

The first game at the Dolphin in 1967 produced an attendance of 8,250.

The replay attendance at Skelmersdale was 7,500. 

1 hour ago, rebelbrewer said:

An article on our (losing) tussles with Skelmersdale united here. They seem to think we were a bit rough

I saw the two games at the Dolphin and on both occasions Skelmersdale offered very strong and skilful opposition, not the least through Steve Heighway's impressive work down the flanks second time around. That said, Slough did enough to win the first game and might well have done so but for Chris Mullen's penalty miss and the intimidatory encroachment into the grassed area inside the greyhound track next to Chris Reynolds's goal by a large and vociferous contingent of Skelmersdale supporters during the second half. And I heard it said that an iron bar had to be removed from the Slough goal area before the start of the first replay. 

1 hour ago, Kaiser Gibbs Batman (KGB) said:

I saw the two games at the Dolphin and on both occasions Skelmersdale offered very strong and skilful opposition, not the least through Steve Heighway's impressive work down the flanks second time around. That said, Slough did enough to win the first game and might well have done so but for Chris Mullen's penalty miss and the intimidatory encroachment into the grassed area inside the greyhound track next to Chris Reynolds's goal by a large and vociferous contingent of Skelmersdale supporters during the second half. And I heard it said that an iron bar had to be removed from the Slough goal area before the start of the first replay. 

I was at the 2-2 draw in 1967 at the Dolphin but didn't go to the replay.

It was so packed I didn't see much of the game but do recall that Steve Heighway gave us all sorts of problems down the wing. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

Was the 1-0 defeat at Skem really 54 years ago last week!?

I was there and one of my enduring memories was the  large number of Skem fans who had made top hats from cardboard which made them about 8' tall  Wasnt a spectacle to watch and probably the correct result on balance imo

This was the date of the 1967 league cup final and I remember some banter and comiserations with WBA fans at services on the way home They had more to feel down about They had led QPR 2-0  only to go down 2-3 in the end  Happy days!