Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

1 hour ago, Glover said:

Having lived in Yeovil for a couple of years, I can tell you they hate the “Muff” it’s a bit like Wycombe Slough from non league days, I guess this is the first and last time they will play each other for many years. . 

They were in the National League Premier together for the 2021/22 season. But you're right; I don't think they'd played each other in the league for decades before then.

It's good to see such a rivalry survive for that long; I doubt that we'd get such crowds should we ever meet Wycombe or Maidenhead again in the league! Of course being top of the league after many years of mediocrity does help. 

29 minutes ago, Nathan said:

They were in the National League Premier together for the 2021/22 season. But you're right; I don't think they'd played each other in the league for decades before then.

It's good to see such a rivalry survive for that long; I doubt that we'd get such crowds should we ever meet Wycombe or Maidenhead again in the league! Of course being top of the league after many years of mediocrity does help. 

Of course you have to have the right manager, owners and infrastructure but there's nothing like success and playing good football to bring in the crowds.

29 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Of course you have to have the right manager, owners and infrastructure but there's nothing like success and playing good football to bring in the crowds.

Rather like when 1112 turned up to watch our B&B match vs Maidenhead in 2017 when we were both top of our respective leagues. The previous attendances for Maidenhead vs Slough in the B&B were 366 (in 2013), 151 (in 2012) and 280 (in 2004). Even last year's fixture attracted a mere 669.

The Yeovil v Weymouth game in Oct 21 had a large police attendance due to information received which involved a number of dog units and a number of mounted officers!

Edited by Irishadrian

2 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

The Yeovil v Weymouth game in Oct 21 had a large police attendance due to information received which involved a number of dog units and a number of mounted officers!

Doesn't sound like a friendly rivalry then. I know Weymouth have a reputation for having a few idiots (e.g. a Weymouth fan was arrested and banned from all football in the country after threateningly brandishing a bike lock at Maidstone fans during their game in September): it was probably these idiots who nicked our flag.

Unheard of but could some logic state that if fixtures were switched but the team meant to be away pays for the travel? so that Taunton don't incur more costs from having to travel when meant to be at home....... we would have had to pay it anyway

It seems there was a similar incident concerning a fan taking ill during the Truro v Taunton game yesterday.

He ended up staying the night at hospital.

Hard to get the exact details from the tweets that I've read, but perhaps the Taunton manager missed an opportunity to get the match abandoned and a second chance  to win a point or three, if he was to have taken a page out of  Mr Gill's sporting conduct rulebook.    

22 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

It seems there was a similar incident concerning a fan taking ill during the Truro v Taunton game yesterday.

He ended up staying the night at hospital.

Hard to get the exact details from the tweets that I've read, but perhaps the Taunton manager missed an opportunity to get the match abandoned and a second chance  to win a point or three, if he was to have taken a page out of  Mr Gill's sporting conduct rulebook.    

I suppose not every manager is as unsporting and lacking in integrity as Gill.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Like all of you on here I'm aware that we are apparently on our best unbeaten home run in something touching 50 years.
I haven't though seen any details of exactly which unbeaten sequence we are approaching.
Not in the match programme or anywhere else.
( If it has been highlighted somewhere and you've seen it and I've missed it you don't need to bother reading on ! )
I'm sure Alan Smith would know the answer straight off the top of his head, but I don't, so being a bit of a nerd for numbers and records etc I've tried to find out.
It's great having that fantastic database on the club website, which gives so much info about our previous games and results.
My first thoughts were that surely our Championship winning teams of 1980/81 and 1989/90 would have had long unbeaten home sequences, but according to what I could see we only went 15 unbeaten at home  in the first and only 8 unbeaten in the latter.
Yep, it is strangely exactly 50 years that we need to go back, to the season 1973/74 to find the unbeaten home run that we are getting close to.
According to the info on the club database, on September 8th 1973 we lost 2-3 at home to Dagenham in the league.
We then went 20 games at home unbeaten.
Ironically, our home record met its "Waterloo"  when Abba's "Waterloo" was No 1 in the hit parade.   
( Shows you how long ago it was ! )
On 6th May 1974 we lost 1-2 to Hayes in the Premier Midweek Floodlight League ,in the last game of the season.
Terry Brown scored our goal.  
The Top 5 in the UK hit parade that week were 
as already mentioned, No 1 Abba with Waterloo,
No 2, Sugar Baby Love by The Rubettes
No 3  Remember You're A Womble by The Wombles
No 4 Don't Stay Away Too Long by Peters and Lee
No 5 Shang-A-Lang by The Bay City Rollers.

Proper music.
They don't make them like that anymore.

So after Saturday's events we are I believe on 18 unbeaten.
And what home fixtures do we have left to try to  extend this longest running sequence since 1974?
Not easy one's !
Yeovil, well clear at the top of the table.
Eastbourne Borough, fighting for their lives to stay up.
St Albans, battling for points in the play-off positions.
Welling, another team battling for their lives to avoid relegation, but as we play them on the last day of the season their fate may already be decided.
And finally Bath ( I would assume ), the team who are so desperate not to lose they have to resort to very dishonourable means to avoid defeat.
I can't believe we have reached 18.
Not after the start we had.
The fact that it is 50 years since we've had such an unbeaten home run shows how difficult it is to do so.
As I've already said above even our Championship winning teams of '81 and '90 couldn't manage to equal the run that we are on..
If our unbeaten run ends short of the 20 unbeaten sequence of '74, it won't take anything away from what has been an incredible run of results and performances by Scott and the team.
They will live long in the memory.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Like all of you on here I'm aware that we are apparently on our best unbeaten home run in something touching 50 years.
I haven't though seen any details of exactly which unbeaten sequence we are approaching.
( If it has been highlighted somewhere and you've seen it and I've missed it you don't need to bother reading on ! )
I'm sure Alan Smith would know the answer straight off the top of his head, but I don't, so being a bit of a nerd for numbers and records etc I've tried to find out.
It's great having that fantastic database on the club website, which gives so much info about our previous games and results.
My first thoughts were that surely our Championship winning teams of 1980/81 and 1989/90 would have had long unbeaten home sequences, but according to what I could see we only went 15 unbeaten at home  in the first and only 8 unbeaten in the latter.
Yep, it is strangely exactly 50 years that we need to go back, to the season 1973/74 to find the unbeaten home run that we are getting close to.
According to the info on the club database, on September 8th 1973 we lost 2-3 at home to Dagenham in the league.
Ironically, our home record met its "Waterloo"  when Abba's "Waterloo" was No 1 in the hit parade.   
On 6th May 1974 we lost 1-2 to Hayes in the Premier Midweek Floodlight League ,in the last game of the season.

Proper music.

And what home fixtures do we have left to try to  extend this longest running sequence since 1974?
Not easy one's !
Welling, another team battling for their lives to avoid relegation, but as we play them on the last day of the season their fate may already be decided.
And finally Bath ( I would assume ), the team who are so desperate not to lose they have to resort to very dishonourable means to avoid defeat.
The fact that it is 50 years since we've had such an unbeaten home run shows how difficult it is to do so.
As I've already said above even our Championship winning teams of '81 and '90 couldn't manage to equal the run that we are on..
If our unbeaten run ends short of the 20 unbeaten sequence of '74, it won't take anything away from what has been an incredible run of results and performances by Scott and the team.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane sobering to have lived through it all

4 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Taunton Town saying they are "hopeful" of playing tomorrow but heavy rain is forecast later this afternoon/ evening so imo must be in doubt!

I was hoping they might move it to Gloucester and the 'Tiger Turf' but I guess not.

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Proper music.

Not easy one's !

I can imagine some of the younger ones who frequent this forum are right now looking up and listening to those memorable hit songs :laugh(2): 

As you say HR we've gone from losing our first 4 home games of the season to a run of 12 wins and 6 draws at home.

A quite remarkable achievement from Scot, his management team and the players.