Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

1 hour ago, Irishadrian said:

Taunton Town saying they are "hopeful" of playing tomorrow but heavy rain is forecast later this afternoon/ evening so imo must be in doubt!

Heavy rain with strong winds started here in TA19 about 20 mins ago!

1 hour ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I was hoping they might move it to Gloucester and the 'Tiger Turf' but I guess not.

Gloucester City Reserves are at home in the Gloucestershire Senior Cup, in a game moved from the opponents ground to get it played. As I was reminded on Facebook it was Truro who moved the game last week, not Taunton as Truro were the home team, despite supposedly sharing at Taunton. Gloucester would have suited me as less than 10 miles down the road...

16 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

It's unreal how fast the time goes by Adrian.

It was only a few days ago that my partner informed me that its 47 years since Elvis departed!

2 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

It's unreal how fast the time goes by Adrian.

It was only a few days ago that my partner informed me that its 47 years since Elvis departed!

8 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Like all of you on here I'm aware that we are apparently on our best unbeaten home run in something touching 50 years.
I haven't though seen any details of exactly which unbeaten sequence we are approaching.
Not in the match programme or anywhere else.
( If it has been highlighted somewhere and you've seen it and I've missed it you don't need to bother reading on ! )
I'm sure Alan Smith would know the answer straight off the top of his head, but I don't, so being a bit of a nerd for numbers and records etc I've tried to find out.
It's great having that fantastic database on the club website, which gives so much info about our previous games and results.
My first thoughts were that surely our Championship winning teams of 1980/81 and 1989/90 would have had long unbeaten home sequences, but according to what I could see we only went 15 unbeaten at home  in the first and only 8 unbeaten in the latter.
Yep, it is strangely exactly 50 years that we need to go back, to the season 1973/74 to find the unbeaten home run that we are getting close to.
According to the info on the club database, on September 8th 1973 we lost 2-3 at home to Dagenham in the league.
We then went 20 games at home unbeaten.

Don't think it's been laid out anywhere other than a spreadsheet I have which I use for the radio team, so for reference: 

This is for all competitions (classifying the Premier Midweek Floodlit League as a first team fixture)

In order of length of runs (post war): 8th best in the clubs history (all time), 7th best since the war. 

54 home games unbeaten - ran from 23rd October 1971 through to 5th September 1973
36 home games unbeaten - ran from 28th December 1963 through to 1st May 1965 (this may be three more as the "home" defeat was a cup final against Chalfont, most likely as a neutral ground, not a home game)
29 homes games unbeaten - ran from 21st August 1968 through to 7th May 1969
28 home games unbeaten - ran from 26th April 1967 through to 3rd Jan 1968
20 league games unbeaten (twice) - ending August 1958 and again in May 1974
18 league games unbeaten - this is our current run which started with the 2-0 win over Aveley on the 9th September. 

If you look at League games only, there's been a few more longer runs. 
35 ending in 1973
26 in 1965
22 in 1969
19 in 1981
15 in 1924 and again in 2004
14 in 1913, 1922, 1952, 1958, 1975, 2012 and current run
13 in 1975, 1979, 2020

11 minutes ago, GarySTFC said:

Don't think it's been laid out anywhere other than a spreadsheet I have which I use for the radio team, so for reference: 

This is for all competitions (classifying the Premier Midweek Floodlit League as a first team fixture)

In order of length of runs (post war): 8th best in the clubs history (all time), 7th best since the war. 

54 home games unbeaten - ran from 23rd October 1971 through to 5th September 1973
36 home games unbeaten - ran from 28th December 1963 through to 1st May 1965 (this may be three more as the "home" defeat was a cup final against Chalfont, most likely as a neutral ground, not a home game)
18 league games unbeaten - this is our current run which started with the 2-0 win over Aveley on the 9th September. 

35 ending in 1973
26 in 1965
22 in 1969
19 in 1981
13 in 1975, 1979, 2020

Thanks for your time and effort in compiling this detailed info Its much appreciated!

Should actually be a huge nod to Alan Smith and Steve Chapman who have helped with the raw data which has been used for the website and Chris Boxall, Tom Gathern and Matt Webb for getting the website into shape to give us an amazing historical resource which I do keep trying to add to as time allows. 

That said, if there is anyone out there with time that can type up old reports I'd appreciate any help at all! 

47 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Wow !!!!!!

Great post Gary.

I was wondering how long our best unbeaten run was.

Thought I'd have to have a word with "Mr Slough Town"  Alan Smith to find out.

Didn't expect to get so much detail. 👍

It's largely from his records in fairness HR - we just took it from paper and put it onto computer and then I started to look at sequences and such things

15 hours ago, GarySTFC said:

35 ending in 1973
26 in 1965
22 in 1969
19 in 1981
13 in 1975, 1979, 2020

That defeat against Chalfont St Peter, in the B&B Benevolent Cup Final, was indeed incurred at the Dolphin Stadium. I know 'cos I was there. It was a huge surprise, given the team that Slough fielded, but they had already knocked a similarly composed Slough team out of the FA Amateur Cup earlier that season on their own ground.

This Saturday Truro are playing their "home" fixture v Chelmsford at Gloucester City's ground, and because Gloucester are playing there already at 3pm, Truro's game is kicking off at 7.30pm.

I'm guessing this arrangement is on a game to game basis ?

I don't know how bad Truro's pitch is, but we are scheduled to play away at Truro on Good Friday at 3pm.

If this arrangement of playing at Gloucester is still in place on that date, I've noticed that Gloucester City are also due to play at home against Brackley that day.

Does this mean we would be kicking off our game at 7.30pm on Good Friday, or play at 3pm on the following day (Saturday) ?

All complete conjecture at the moment, but something I guess to be aware of ? 

Edited by Holyport Rebel

2 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

This Saturday Truro are playing their "home" fixture v Chelmsford at Gloucester City's ground, and because Gloucester are playing there already at 3pm, Truro's game is kicking off at 7.30pm.

I'm guessing this arrangement is on a game to game basis ?

I don't know how bad Truro's pitch is, but we are scheduled to play away at Truro on Good Friday at 3pm.

If this arrangement of playing at Gloucester is still in place on that date, I've noticed that Gloucester City are also due to play at home against Brackley that day.

Does this mean we would be kicking off our game at 7.30pm on Good Friday, or play at 3pm on the following day (Saturday) ?

All complete conjecture at the moment, but something I guess to be aware of ? 

Truro are playing their matches at Taunton so it's any ones guess is their pitch will be playable.

Hopefully by the end of March the weather will be better and Taunton's pitch becomes a football pitch rather than a swamp.