Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

5 hours ago, bonjour said:

With us not having a game yesterday I decided to go on my travels to find a game, I decided to go and watch the huge berks and Bucks quarter final final clash between Beaconsfield and Flackwell Heath. There's been a lot of work done to the ground recently including a brand new car park behind the goal nearest the main road and no longer can you park along the road there.

I paid my £5 and entered the ground, upon walking around i was met by Jon Porter (ex director of ours) who informed me that both sides had made a number of changes, Beaconsfield had 6 of their under18's in the squad with 3 starting, Dobbo was on the bench.

The game it's self wasn't too bad but with the score at 1-1 and nearing full time those of us who were there were just hoping that there was no extra time and straight to penalties. Thankfully this was the case, Dobbo was first to take one he confidently walked up and smashed it against the bar, Flackwell scored all of theirs and went through earning them a mouth watering semi final against Reading ( well that was what the supporters were saying, even was it going to be all ticket )

But something happened during the game which I have never come across before but learnt last night. On 85 minutes Tom Mcelroy was substituted, then on 93 Beaconsfield made another substitution and Tom Mcelroy came on, well this totally confused me, was that Tom who came back on, on the final whistle i needed to find a Beaconsfield supporter was that Tom who came back on. I finally found one who told me yes but in the Berks and Bucks cup you are allowed to make rolling substitutions ( applies to levels 5 and below as well ) getting like ice hockey, well you learn something everyday.

Anyway not a bad evenings entertainment as well as being educational. In the other semi final Marlow are playing MK Dons who both got byes in the quarter final, crazy

Hopefully this was a reasonable read, no where on the level of HR reports but I'm learning.

COYR

Yes Thanks for that post bonjour Im sure most of us learnt something we didnt know before!

Speaking of old friends, Hitchin Town are only 4 points above the drop (in the Southern Premier Central) and are now looking over their shoulders, following 11 successive league defeats and only picking up 1 point (which they've lost as it was again the now defunct Nuneaton Borough) from 12 games since the new year.

Meanwhile in the Isthmian League, Cheshunt are on 33 points from 34 games (so not even a point per game) and not only are they not in the bottom-four, but are actually 8 points clear (with same number of games played) of 19th placed Margate, and 9 clear of 20th placed Haringey Borough.

Concord Rangers are 21st and in deep trouble with 21 points from 30 games, and will only draw level with Cheshunt even if they win all their games in hand. They'll need a late-season recovery like last season (and then some) to avoid successive relegations.

On 20/03/2024 at 11:48, Bernie Gogan said:

Went for a footy fix to the Chertsey v Marlow game (1st v 2nd). I was expecting it to be a bit feisty, so approx 10 bookings, but nothing nasty, more an over zealous ref (or is it FA rules forcing him to issue yellows in order to pick up fines?). A missed pen by Chertsey after 2 minutes (innocuous coming together interpreted as foul play), a double save from a Chertsey free kick by the impressive National League sized Marlow keeper (one to watch?), an off balance effort with a virtually open goal from Dave Tarpey then 8 added minutes, much of that related to a nasty injury to a Chertsey player. 

Second half was dominated by Marlow for the first 20 minutes, but no chances of note then the best move of the game led to Oliver McCoy scoring a well taken goal against the run of play. Thereafter Marlow couldn't create anything worth talking about and Chertsey managed the game into 6 more minutes of added time. Much joy from the 770+ in the ground as the game ended 1-0 to the league leaders and still only one league defeat all season.

I was disappointed by the quality on display to be honest, perhaps my expectations from 2 leagues below our level were too much. There was a distinct lack of control in midfield and a tendency to launch the ball into no particular channel whereas playing the ball through the midfield might have brought a better outcome. Maybe the importance of the game didn't help!

So, positive things for me, Marlow's keeper (tall, assured, great handling, saved a pen), Dave Tarpey (quality, but no real support), Chertsey with a more or less completely new side this season topping the league, great grass surface, nice and neat Alwyns Lane, excellent crowd for the level/midweek game. Oh, and a sighting of Steve Cumber (but not in the Tea Bar Queue - for those that remember his Slough programme musings).

There you go Bonjour, likewise nowhere near as good as HR, but working on it!

Speaking of local talent, presumably we've still got our new talent scout Darren Edgar doing the scouting for us.

Young local talent like the Marlow keeper should hopefully be on his and the clubs radar. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

2 excellent young wingers on display for Burnham last night. 1 scored 4 goals in their 5-0 win v Risborough Rangers in which a certain Manny Williams played 55 minutes for RR before being subbed after a tackle against him did his ankle. Burnham's 7 and 12 ran through game as they do most times we have seen them this season. Probably not ready just yet for us but certain 2 to watch.

6 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

2 excellent young wingers on display for Burnham last night. 1 scored 4 goals in their 5-0 win v Risborough Rangers in which a certain Manny Williams played 55 minutes for RR before being subbed after a tackle against him did his ankle. Burnham's 7 and 12 ran through game as they do most times we have seen them this season. Probably not ready just yet for us but certain 2 to watch.

Worth inviting them down to pre season.

It's only down the road so surely our new scout must have been to see them play and have them on our radar if he thinks they're good enough? 

1 hour ago, Irishadrian said:

Tuesdays abandonment of the game against Eastbourne now leaves them with 13 games in 28 days in their fight to stay up!

Forgot to name Truro but im sure you all got it looks horrendous on their site Sat,Tues,Thurs,Sat,Mon etc.etc.

1 hour ago, BFR said:

Dorking have finally realised they are in the doo-doo and recalled Kuhl from Farnborough 

Deep in it I would say.

Beaten 6-0 yesterday, & only 4 points from their last six matches…. Kuhl’s good but he’s not a superhero!

Maidenhead now only a point out of the relegation zone.

Maidenhead's next game is at home to 5th placed Aldershot on Friday.

Boreham Wood slip into the bottom 4.

Luke Garrard has done well for them over the seasons but his job could depend on the outcome of their game against mid table Dagenham on Friday. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

On 23/03/2024 at 19:45, GlenSTFC said:

Please make Chesham and not them as our Xmas fixtures.

🙏🙏🙏