Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

8 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Some other good news from yesterday.

Bath Have slipped out of the play-off places.

Wouldn't it be poetic justice if, when we eventually get to play our rearranged game, we stopped them from getting into the play-offs. 

Dover are all but down.

Havant look doomed. Realistically they can only catch Taunton and Truro who have 5 and 6 games in hand on them.

The biggest surprise of the season could well see Dartford relegated.

Justice would be us thrashing Bath and us pipping them on goal difference by 1 goal to grab 7th place instead of them. Then Jerry has a massive breakdown on the pitch, crys like a baby and resigns!!!

7 hours ago, GarySTFC said:

Given their result yesterday and being in administration, could Torquay possibly drop? Could be them and Dartford together! 

I was looking at our league table which still shows Torquay as having 51 points.

But you're right, they along with Dartford are in dreadful form and both could go down which would be quite something.

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

Dorking have hit a poor run of form, 8 points from their last 10 matches, and are now in danger of relegation.

Looks like we could be losing the entertainment value of Mark Cooper & gaining that of Marc White.

You could be right Curtis but it's so close a couple of wins and your propelled up the league.

Maidenhead are only 2 points above the drop zone, unfortunately they tend to do just enough to survive.

I'm surprised to see Boreham Wood so low down, they're normally somewhere around the play-offs.

23 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

You could be right Curtis but it's so close a couple of wins and your propelled up the league.

Maidenhead are only 2 points above the drop zone, unfortunately they tend to do just enough to survive.

I'm surprised to see Boreham Wood so low down, they're normally somewhere around the play-offs.

I see Maidenhead have a meeting with supporters on Thursday night to discuss their options given the latest decision by RBWM Council to not let them use Braywick for the new ground.

1 hour ago, DonnyNo6 said:

I see Maidenhead have a meeting with supporters on Thursday night to discuss their options given the latest decision by RBWM Council to not let them use Braywick for the new ground.

Not quite sure what the options are, but York Road has it's limitations and aside from the "new" stand has a serious issue with changing rooms, clubhouse, hospitality, accessibility and parking, none of which are really commensurate with a club in the National League. All of the aforementioned would have been addressed with a new ground at Braywick of course.

Regarding relegation, it's become a repeated theme, but they've escaped over the past few seasons and considering the manager's experience I'd expect them to negotiate an escape yet again.

14 hours ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Not quite sure what the options are, but York Road has it's limitations and aside from the "new" stand has a serious issue with changing rooms, clubhouse, hospitality, accessibility and parking, none of which are really commensurate with a club in the National League. All of the aforementioned would have been addressed with a new ground at Braywick of course.

Regarding relegation, it's become a repeated theme, but they've escaped over the past few seasons and considering the manager's experience I'd expect them to negotiate an escape yet again.

Indeed, my daughter plays for their Women's Teams but they have to train at Reading every Tuesday and Thursday due to a lack of facilities around Maidenhead.  One of their coaches was expressing recently that they are seriously considering moving away and selling York Road still but now out of the area completely which for me would be a shame all rivalries aside.

With us not having a game yesterday I decided to go on my travels to find a game, I decided to go and watch the huge berks and Bucks quarter final final clash between Beaconsfield and Flackwell Heath. There's been a lot of work done to the ground recently including a brand new car park behind the goal nearest the main road and no longer can you park along the road there.

I paid my £5 and entered the ground, upon walking around i was met by Jon Porter (ex director of ours) who informed me that both sides had made a number of changes, Beaconsfield had 6 of their under18's in the squad with 3 starting, Dobbo was on the bench.

The game it's self wasn't too bad but with the score at 1-1 and nearing full time those of us who were there were just hoping that there was no extra time and straight to penalties. Thankfully this was the case, Dobbo was first to take one he confidently walked up and smashed it against the bar, Flackwell scored all of theirs and went through earning them a mouth watering semi final against Reading ( well that was what the supporters were saying, even was it going to be all ticket )

But something happened during the game which I have never come across before but learnt last night. On 85 minutes Tom Mcelroy was substituted, then on 93 Beaconsfield made another substitution and Tom Mcelroy came on, well this totally confused me, was that Tom who came back on, on the final whistle i needed to find a Beaconsfield supporter was that Tom who came back on. I finally found one who told me yes but in the Berks and Bucks cup you are allowed to make rolling substitutions ( applies to levels 5 and below as well ) getting like ice hockey, well you learn something everyday.

Anyway not a bad evenings entertainment as well as being educational. In the other semi final Marlow are playing MK Dons who both got byes in the quarter final, crazy

Hopefully this was a reasonable read, no where on the level of HR reports but I'm learning.

COYR

1 hour ago, DonnyNo6 said:

Indeed, my daughter plays for their Women's Teams but they have to train at Reading every Tuesday and Thursday due to a lack of facilities around Maidenhead.  One of their coaches was expressing recently that they are seriously considering moving away and selling York Road still but now out of the area completely which for me would be a shame all rivalries aside.

Any proposal to relocate away from Maidenhead would most likely prove controversial. One of the problems they had with relocation in the past was that title to York Road was held by trustees who, understandably, would not agree to sell until a new ground was in place. Whether that is still the position, or whether the club's owners now have title to the ground as well I don't know. 

1 hour ago, bonjour said:

With us not having a game yesterday I decided to go on my travels to find a game, I decided to go and watch the huge berks and Bucks quarter final final clash between Beaconsfield and Flackwell Heath. There's been a lot of work done to the ground recently including a brand new car park behind the goal nearest the main road and no longer can you park along the road there.

I paid my £5 and entered the ground, upon walking around i was met by Jon Porter (ex director of ours) who informed me that both sides had made a number of changes, Beaconsfield had 6 of their under18's in the squad with 3 starting, Dobbo was on the bench.

The game it's self wasn't too bad but with the score at 1-1 and nearing full time those of us who were there were just hoping that there was no extra time and straight to penalties. Thankfully this was the case, Dobbo was first to take one he confidently walked up and smashed it against the bar, Flackwell scored all of theirs and went through earning them a mouth watering semi final against Reading ( well that was what the supporters were saying, even was it going to be all ticket )

But something happened during the game which I have never come across before but learnt last night. On 85 minutes Tom Mcelroy was substituted, then on 93 Beaconsfield made another substitution and Tom Mcelroy came on, well this totally confused me, was that Tom who came back on, on the final whistle i needed to find a Beaconsfield supporter was that Tom who came back on. I finally found one who told me yes but in the Berks and Bucks cup you are allowed to make rolling substitutions ( applies to levels 5 and below as well ) getting like ice hockey, well you learn something everyday.

Anyway not a bad evenings entertainment as well as being educational. In the other semi final Marlow are playing MK Dons who both got byes in the quarter final, crazy

Hopefully this was a reasonable read, no where on the level of HR reports but I'm learning.

COYR

Nice one Bonjour.

COYR

I played in a B&B match in the Intermediate a few years ago in my last season and it was Rolling subs then which surprised us all at the time, seems to be quite a common theme now in cup comps.

COYR

Went for a footy fix to the Chertsey v Marlow game (1st v 2nd). I was expecting it to be a bit feisty, so approx 10 bookings, but nothing nasty, more an over zealous ref (or is it FA rules forcing him to issue yellows in order to pick up fines?). A missed pen by Chertsey after 2 minutes (innocuous coming together interpreted as foul play), a double save from a Chertsey free kick by the impressive National League sized Marlow keeper (one to watch?), an off balance effort with a virtually open goal from Dave Tarpey then 8 added minutes, much of that related to a nasty injury to a Chertsey player. 

Second half was dominated by Marlow for the first 20 minutes, but no chances of note then the best move of the game led to Oliver McCoy scoring a well taken goal against the run of play. Thereafter Marlow couldn't create anything worth talking about and Chertsey managed the game into 6 more minutes of added time. Much joy from the 770+ in the ground as the game ended 1-0 to the league leaders and still only one league defeat all season.

I was disappointed by the quality on display to be honest, perhaps my expectations from 2 leagues below our level were too much. There was a distinct lack of control in midfield and a tendency to launch the ball into no particular channel whereas playing the ball through the midfield might have brought a better outcome. Maybe the importance of the game didn't help!

So, positive things for me, Marlow's keeper (tall, assured, great handling, saved a pen), Dave Tarpey (quality, but no real support), Chertsey with a more or less completely new side this season topping the league, great grass surface, nice and neat Alwyns Lane, excellent crowd for the level/midweek game. Oh, and a sighting of Steve Cumber (but not in the Tea Bar Queue - for those that remember his Slough programme musings).

There you go Bonjour, likewise nowhere near as good as HR, but working on it!

7 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Went for a footy fix to the Chertsey v Marlow game (1st v 2nd). I was expecting it to be a bit feisty, so approx 10 bookings, but nothing nasty, more an over zealous ref (or is it FA rules forcing him to issue yellows in order to pick up fines?). A missed pen by Chertsey after 2 minutes (innocuous coming together interpreted as foul play), a double save from a Chertsey free kick by the impressive National League sized Marlow keeper (one to watch?), an off balance effort with a virtually open goal from Dave Tarpey then 8 added minutes, much of that related to a nasty injury to a Chertsey player. 

Second half was dominated by Marlow for the first 20 minutes, but no chances of note then the best move of the game led to Oliver McCoy scoring a well taken goal against the run of play. Thereafter Marlow couldn't create anything worth talking about and Chertsey managed the game into 6 more minutes of added time. Much joy from the 770+ in the ground as the game ended 1-0 to the league leaders and still only one league defeat all season.

I was disappointed by the quality on display to be honest, perhaps my expectations from 2 leagues below our level were too much. There was a distinct lack of control in midfield and a tendency to launch the ball into no particular channel whereas playing the ball through the midfield might have brought a better outcome. Maybe the importance of the game didn't help!

So, positive things for me, Marlow's keeper (tall, assured, great handling, saved a pen), Dave Tarpey (quality, but no real support), Chertsey with a more or less completely new side this season topping the league, great grass surface, nice and neat Alwyns Lane, excellent crowd for the level/midweek game. Oh, and a sighting of Steve Cumber (but not in the Tea Bar Queue - for those that remember his Slough programme musings).

HR and his two apprentices, love it 😅

29 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

The Marlow keeper is Aaron Watkins.

Looking at his profile, he started his career at the Reading Academy and has played for various clubs including:

Hanwell, Basingstoke, Flackwell Heath, Burnham, Thatcham, Binfield and Reading City.

Another ex rebel in the Marlow ranks is Ben Mulley having previously come through our A23 set up.

5 hours ago, bonjour said:

Their Twitter feed says that 3 of the 6 were in the starting 11, so either they have an injury crisis or they're resting some first-teamers for the league. They're 7 points clear of the drop (in the Southern Premier South) at the moment, but those behind them nearly all have games in hand, so they could find themselves back in danger quickly. More evidence that the higher up the leagues you go, the less important the B&B Cup becomes. Good luck to Flackwell in the Semi-Final.

It's interesting to see that our old friends from Harrow Borough, who seem to perpetually do just about enough to keep their heads above the water (that's when they're not being reprieved, as in 2017 due to the demise of Worcester City and again last season due to Met Police's voluntary relegation, a reprieve that they appeared to not want and considered appealing against!!! :confused:), look doomed this time around. They're 8 points from safety with 8 games to go.