Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

Some seem to be hinting that Scott could be in the running for the next Wealdstone manager.

Although Scott played for Wealdstone for a period of time and whilst nothing in football is impossible I'm not sure his time at Wealdstone was a memorable time for him.

I see that after Saturday's results that this years FA Trophy Final will be between Gateshead and Solihull Moors.

This neutral fan  wouldn't have thought it was possible to have a more unappealing, unglamorous final than last year's, which was Gateshead (not again !) v Halifax, but it has somehow, in my eyes anyway, managed to happen.

I was really hoping that Macclesfield could have made it through.

Sorry Gateshead, nothing personal, but to this south based supporter seeing you at Wembley again  with your few fans doesn't get the taste buds flowing.

It seems so unfair to me that the semi-finals are now just a one off match played on one of the competing teams home ground.

I don't know the reason why they stopped the two legged semi's, I'm guessing because the National League teams didn't want to lose two Saturday's from their league campaign for a competition they don't care too much about ?  

Whatever, if the semi's are now only the one game, why can't they play them on neutral grounds ?

To anyone under the age of 25, 1997 must seem a bit like the Dark Ages, with its lack of today's modern technology, but somehow a semi-final replay was arranged and played that year at a neutral Wexham Park Slough Town ground for the Trophy semi-final between Dagenham and Gloucester just a few days after those two teams had finished their two legged games all-square.

Again, wasn't it just a few day's ago that the National League made Taunton play at Gloucester's ground for a league game (against was it Maidstone? ) just a few hours after their pitch failed an inspection ?

Are you telling me that  neutral grounds for a one-off semi- final match couldn't be found and arranged in the weeks following the quarter -finals, or even, more sensibly, before the competition starts ?  

Some of the most looked forward to, exciting, nerve racking and memorable  matches  that I have been to in my footballing watching career have been one- off semi's played at neutral grounds with a massive final as the prize for the winners.

Much better than two-legged semi's, (but better two legged semi's than one club having a massive advantage with a home one-off semi. )

Yes, I know being at home doesn't guarantee that you will win the match, as Bromley will testify, but it does give you a massive advantage.

I guess the F.A just don't care, and the National League aren't bothered.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

16 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

With 5 games left Wealdstone have sacked manager David Noble.

He was only appointed because Stuart Maynard let for Notts County.

Things don’t appear to be going well for him though…. 12 points from 15 matches. So he might be available for a return to Wealdstone at the end of the season!

5 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

Even if they did Glen, I can tell you now I won’t be leaving!

I can’t rule myself out of a job that I’ve not been approached for, but I wouldn’t leave Slough any time soon. This job, club, environment is perfect for me to learn, which I’m continually doing each day.

Glad to hear it Scott! Do you know yet whether you’ll be working with the same or an improved budget for next season? Also how confident are you of keeping the players who may be in demand and aren’t on contract?

51 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Glad to hear it Scott! Do you know yet whether you’ll be working with the same or an improved budget for next season? Also how confident are you of keeping the players who may be in demand and aren’t on contract?

I have no idea as of yet. There’s a lot going on at the moment at the club. Will be sorting all out in the next few weeks.

As for the players, I believe a very large number will remain which is good news. Talks have started but we won’t announce those that are staying who won’t be signing a contract until slightly later on as it’s pretty much a given that it’s just a case or ‘let’s go again’ with those types.

Scott, any news about an alternative venue for Taunton away? Presumably they must inform the club about the back up plan, so coaches know where they need to travel to

1 hour ago, Scott Davies said:

I have no idea as of yet. There’s a lot going on at the moment at the club. Will be sorting all out in the next few weeks.

As for the players, I believe a very large number will remain which is good news. Talks have started but we won’t announce those that are staying who won’t be signing a contract until slightly later on as it’s pretty much a given that it’s just a case or ‘let’s go again’ with those types.

When you say lots going on at the club, hopefully all positive and exciting?

Just when you thought nothing could surprise you in football Walton & Hersham have sacked manager Scott Harris

Scott Harris is Walton's most successful manager having achieved 3 successive promotions and this season has them sitting just outside of the play-offs.

Social media rumours are rife that Harris's sacking has coincided with Bobby Wilkinson being available. 

2 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

Alternate venue now being explored by Taunton as difficulties mount is Hungerford 

I spoke to the Hungerford chairman yesterday after seeing this suggestion on another forum. Neither he nor the club secretary had been contacted as of yesterday evening. 

23 minutes ago, BFR said:

I spoke to the Hungerford chairman yesterday after seeing this suggestion on another forum. Neither he nor the club secretary had been contacted as of yesterday evening. 

Im not surprised Taunton currently being run by two groups who dont seem to communicate  You probably  saw the other suggestion in Wales? Here in TA 19 weve had a lot of sunshine last few days. Sunny as I type and no heavy rain

Edited by Irishadrian

Once again as we didn't have a game last night I was searching around for my footie fix, I decided to go and watch Virginia Water v Wokingham and then news came through that there was a game at the home of football Badshot Lea v Hanworth Villa for only a fiver, how could I refuse.

I arrived for the 8.00pm kick off and took my seat in the main stand ( thankfully there was one left ) the teams came out. The Hanworth side contained George Wells and a couple of Mersons who I guess we're Paul Mersons sons but maybe wrong.

The game kicked off and it was a fairly even first half but a cracking effort  from a Villa player sent them in one up at half time.

The Baggies as Badshot  are known came out strong in the 2nd half and deservedly went 2-1 up. This sent the Villa side into meltdown, arguing with themselves and looking to have no interest left.

I sat by the Villa bench and heard their manager say about one of his players, if he could play football he would be a good player.

there were some great moments of enhancing the slightest of touches resulting in injuries, this resulted in the physio coming on to treat them but I guess they didn't trust him as another player came over to treat them instead leaving the physio to have a sip of water instead.

As the game entered the final stages i made a big error, wanting to beat the rush out ( attendance 78 ) I left early only to find out later Villa had equalised in the last minute. What a numpty

Anyway a very entertaining game only spoilt to find out later that Bath had won.

How did I do HR?