Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Banter -v- Vitriol

When I first posted on this Forum the majority of 'non-factual' posts were banter with Cliff Rhodes the butt of most people's jokes.

Even with his withdrawal from the Forum, the banter continued but in recent weeks more and more posts have been vitriolic with HallSealsAPenis taking umbrage with Hertford and Reb and others expressing similar views on a wide range of topics including Hale Leys.

I know many posters will tell me "...not to read what offends me..." and they have a right to "...free speech..." but the bottom line is that too many of the younger generation believe this type of behaviour - which they no doubt exhibit in pubs and clubs on a Friday night - is perfectly acceptable.

And when you realise this is the way too many players and supporters react towards match officials is it any wonder there are fewer and fewer who want to referee SSMFL football...

When I first posted on this Forum the majority of 'non-factual' posts were banter with Cliff Rhodes the butt of most people's jokes.

Even with his withdrawal from the Forum, the banter continued but in recent weeks more and more posts have been vitriolic with HallSealsAPenis taking umbrage with Hertford and Reb and others expressing similar views on a wide range of topics including Hale Leys.

I know many posters will tell me "...not to read what offends me..." and they have a right to "...free speech..." but the bottom line is that too many of the younger generation believe this type of behaviour - which they no doubt exhibit in pubs and clubs on a Friday night - is perfectly acceptable.

And when you realise this is the way too many players and supporters react towards match officials is it any wonder there are fewer and fewer who want to referee SSMFL football...

It is why the forum is dying a death,,,,,,,,,no class with this new bunch.Rhodes, Footballman, NF, Wader, Keepz, Horace, Willo, Nelly, samuelsmiles refoffref and TA, to name just a few, were Forum legends.

Thanks for the mention...i feel honoured.

I think you will find im not fond of the Hertford manager for clear and good reason. Your last sentance can also be adapted to include some management and coaching staff at clubs, otherwise it is very much a one sided arguement and not expressive of what i see quite frequently. If anything i think its a bit harsh on the supporters. I know my own club the supporters are a lovely and passionate bunch.

"And when you realise this is the way too many players and supporters react towards match officials is it any wonder there are fewer and fewer who want to referee SSMFL football..."          

I think youre right though a forum is for freedom of speech and should be taken as just that and not to heart. I think if you end up taking things to heart that have been typed behind a keyboard, you need to move away and ask all your legendary chums from this forum to meet up for a beer....if youve even met them.

Anyway, please dont take the above in a negative manner, i wouldnt want to offend you.

Thanks for the mention...i feel honoured.

I think you will find im not fond of the Hertford manager for clear and good reason. Your last sentance can also be adapted to include some management and coaching staff at clubs, otherwise it is very much a one sided arguement and not expressive of what i see quite frequently. If anything i think its a bit harsh on the supporters. I know my own club the supporters are a lovely and passionate bunch.

"And when you realise this is the way too many players and supporters react towards match officials is it any wonder there are fewer and fewer who want to referee SSMFL football..."          

I think youre right though a forum is for freedom of speech and should be taken as just that and not to heart. I think if you end up taking things to heart that have been typed behind a keyboard, you need to move away and ask all your legendary chums from this forum to meet up for a beer....if youve even met them.

Anyway, please dont take the above in a negative manner, i wouldnt want to offend you.

For once a 'reasoned' argument - instead of the vitriolic comments you post most of the time.

Maybe you ought to treat others with a similar level of respect?

I think you will find i do, i think youre being very selective with the posts you may read from what i do post tbh.

I have posted plenty of good natured comments, but i admit i do treat people the way they treat me...if you want to assume or take a swipe at me, then i wont hesitate in most instances to bite back. Who wouldnt.

I show a lot of respect in every day life, i just dont bow down to people that want to take advantage.

As ive said my comments i feel have been justified on many occassions regarding many relating to just that "respect", if you dont show it in the "real" world or on here, why expect it to be returned?

If you see my last post on another thread, please see that situation....riling perhaps but do i actually care much for it...no not really.

Anyway have a good day all, plenty of football to enjoy this weekend.

Rhodes is not a legend and im glad that HE has gone.

Is that a dig at me? Or a dig at Halsey'sPenis for being vitriolic? I sincerely hope it's the latter.

I think its a dig at both of us...but tbh would you really care?! Honestly.

I think people really read too much into the non-sensical cr*p thats posted most of the time....people have opinions, they differ, noones opinion is going to be changed by someone typing away on here.

If people get offended, then truly they should not comment on this platform....its weak.

Can we just keep stuff on here light hearted, well humoured, and ,dare I say it, reasonably intelligent? Makes for a much better read than mindless sh*t slinging.

Eg, we all know your opinion on Mr Halsey, and we all know some people will defend him. We all know those opinions aren't going to change. So could we drop it now and resort to new, interesting topics relevant to the SSML.

And to those who constantly 'nibble', why? People don't have to kick off all the time

Can we just keep stuff on here light hearted, well humoured, and ,dare I say it, reasonably intelligent? Makes for a much better read than mindless sh*t slinging.

Eg, we all know your opinion on Mr Halsey, and we all know some people will defend him. We all know those opinions aren't going to change. So could we drop it now and resort to new, interesting topics relevant to the SSML.

And to those who constantly 'nibble', why? People don't have to kick off all the time

Agree in many respects...for myself. Today ive had a "i want you to nibble" post twice.

This post has kind of become a hypocritical one in itself.

Anyway i support WGC and i dont like Halsey....FACT lol....oh and im not a WGC player....fact also

Have a good weekend all.

Banter is banter, which can be very amusing between people who normally know each other personally and know that no offence will be taken.

Vitriolic abuse is wrong and offensive, and in certain cases can be deemed illegal, leading to police prosecution.

I think its a dig at both of us...but tbh would you really care?! Honestly.

I think people really read too much into the non-sensical cr*p thats posted most of the time....people have opinions, they differ, noones opinion is going to be changed by someone typing away on here.

If people get offended, then truly they should not comment on this platform....its weak.

It's hard to tell, but in my heart of hearts, I believe there is a comma missing in his sentence that excuses me. If not, I will, for the first time may I say, get a bit bit vitriolic on here.

It's hard to tell, but in my heart of hearts, I believe there is a comma missing in his sentence that excuses me. If not, I will, for the first time may I say, get a bit bit vitriolic on here.

I wouldnt let it upset you....muppet lol....oh and im still not a wgc player :-)

Banter is banter, which can be very amusing between people who normally know each other personally and know that no offence will be taken.

Vitriolic abuse is wrong and offensive, and in certain cases can be deemed illegal, leading to police prosecution.

Yes banter is banter....i think the OP has served his purpose with this post....i consider myself a naughty person for offending someone with a valid opinion on a forum..as they say, "if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen"

I wouldnt let it upset you....muppet lol....oh and im still not a wgc player :-)

Player...staff.... whatevs

I'm not upset, just offended (potentially). I am an upstanding member of this forum. My conduct is top notch. Never resort to vitriolic behaviour (such as name-calling (eg. muppet)|. Still waiting for WB to reply after opening this can of worms. 

I'm not upset, just offended (potentially). I am an upstanding member of this forum. My conduct is top notch. Never resort to vitriolic behaviour (such as name-calling (eg. muppet)|. Still waiting for WB to reply after opening this can of worms. 

Reb. Sorry for the delay in confirming but I've been busy today. A can of worms it may be, but the majority of the 'vitriolic comments' were made by HSAP about Hertford (and in response to LittleMissFootball, who does not post like a 'lady') and about you - not by you - because of your apparent dislike of Hale Leys. WB

Edited by Whitley Bay

Reb. Sorry for the delay in confirming but I've been busy today. A can of worms it may be, but the majority of the 'vitriolic comments' were made by HSAP about Hertford (and in response to LittleMissFootball, who does not post like a 'lady') and about you - not by you - because of your apparent dislike of Hale Leys. WB

Haha...i would really hate to see how you react in real life to criticism....seriously, my comments are an opinion...based on facts and now HTFC have made the right decision....next you will be protesting outside the ground at how badly hes been treated....our opinions differ....get over it...

Good for you....and again if youre going to start crying over being called a muppet, you must be a proper "wet lettuce"....man up ffs.

Have a good weekend all.

Ah, easy to see what you've done there, you've confused me with our friend rendon, he's the one with a dislike of Hale Leys. I personally don't know anything about them. 

I find the people hiding behind cartoon character profile pics and fake names are the most effervescent when it comes to vitriol on here. At least we all knew who Rhodes was and where he could be found. Not like most of the Scarlet Pimpernels who now frequent this forum!

Haha...i would really hate to see how you react in real life to criticism....seriously, my comments are an opinion...based on facts and now HTFC have made the right decision....next you will be protesting outside the ground at how badly hes been treated....our opinions differ....get over it...

Good for you....and again if youre going to start crying over being called a muppet, you must be a proper "wet lettuce"....man up ffs.

Have a good weekend all.

Yet more name calling...  :232:  

I find the people hiding behind cartoon character profile pics and fake names are the most effervescent when it comes to vitriol on here. At least we all knew who Rhodes was and where he could be found. Not like most of the Scarlet Pimpernels who now frequent this forum!

Sly dig at Karen.... bit harsh.