Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Thurrock / Purfleet fans

Jago

It's really great to see the new posters on here (MikeMike, Fleetside of the Bridge etc) and I assume there are a few more who don't post.  Mike seems to have embraced the club very enthusiastically - fantastic (though one does question his sanity!).

So my question is - is there a general drift of ex-Thurrock fans over to the Bridge, or is it an interest in the Stimson/ex Thurrock players, or what?   I saw some green and yellow hats at Harlow when we won but that seemed more anti-Harlow than pro-Hornchurch.    The 5 or 6 Thurrock fans behind the goal who used to sing their hearts out / do the Posnan etc were brilliant and it would be great if they came down here.

As I am very shy I can't ask people directly (and never go on the Riverside where I suspect they are settling) - hence I have to resort to the keyboard.

So - basically - what's the story Balamory?

well Since we folded it’s been a miss match of watching different sides I went to Waltham abbey and watched the team lose the first game then win 10-12 on the bounce and the club was flying then injuries took hold lost a few good players then mark said I’m going to take the Hornchurch job he took the players that can play with him. At Thurrock last year we did quite well although the season we only lost one player and he went to a higher league did quite well but the draw of working again with mark brought him back and watching them play Saturday I’m sure you’ll agree it was a good solid performance and we’ll worthy of the win. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season to see what we can atcheive and then I’m sure a few players will come and go and next season the squad will be even stronger 

up the Fleurchins

Hello chum - a former 'Thurrock singer' here :)  I attended my first Hornchurch home game on Saturday with a few of the other former singers (some of which have been to a few more games) having previously been at the away game at Harlow as well. Since Thurrock's demise us young, cool, trendy Thurrock fans - not old man Mike - have been looking for a new club to latch on to, and this season we've tried a few local clubs to see what floated our boat. We attended a few Waltham Abby games as obviously it was the old Thurrock lot there but it was nearly an hour to get to, and difficult via public transport if you wanted a drink up, meant this coupled with the terrible facilities meant we didn't really feel 'at home' there. So when we saw that Stimmo and the players had gone to Hornchurch, on paper it looked good for most of us - we can get to Upminster in 20mins on the train from our Thurrock/Basildon locations so was worth a look. Was very impressed with the setup/vibe on Saturday, seemed to tick a lot of the boxes, so the early signs are positive. I'll certainly be trying to get to as many home games as possible this season and then take it from there in terms of long term. I'm personally keen not to just follow a manager around, I don't see the point of following a manager/players as there is no stability there. So from our perspective, yes we are looking for a new club to support long term. It would be good to get to know the Hornchurch fans and help to support the team on the pitch! 

It's fantastic to hear that Thurrock supporters have joined our merry gang!

You are all welcome to attend our Supporters Association AGM on Thursday 9th May - 8.00pm start. It's a fantastic night to hear what is going on round the club. 

Also we ran away days on the train so if anyone fancies coming along with the GSS (Group Saver Specials) you are more than welcome. 

I am normally found by the Supporters stall or in the bar prior to home matches so come and have a chat with me if you wish. Welcome to the Club all you ex-Fleet fans!

I decided I would initially go wherever the majority of my favourite players went and take it from there and that was Waltham Abbey. Not constrained by public transport as I have always travelled under my own steam I added quite a few ticks at some pleasant grounds in the South Central Division (plus two absolute sh*tholes). When Mark moved to Hornchurch I stayed at Abbey for one or two games before the players also moved across. If everyone moves again I don't really know which way I'd sway but am hoping to not have to make that choice. Other Thurrock regulars seem to be spread between Grays, Aveley and Romford as far as I can tell.

Waltham's low attendance certainly felt familiar and it's been interesting adjusting to larger crowds again that I haven't seen since Thurrock's Conference South days. I quite enjoy the call and response between the hill and the east side and was very surprised at how many Urchins travel - especially Margate on a wet and windy Tuesday night. 

I'm aware of some strong disappointment over the player turnover as I went through that at least twice as Thurrock lost pretty much the entire team (including when Colin and Jimmy first came to Hornchurch). In my case we started again with players from youth teams and lower divisions and took a lot longer to get back to where we were but you just have to stay with your team regardless.

The anti-Harlow feeling comes from them singing about us having no ground and no team. I'm always up for banter but that was beyond the pale. Overjoyed at Worthing beating them 9-1.

I am usually on the Riverside - or West End as I prefer to call it. As to questioning my sanity you're not the first.

Meanwhile it's great to know there are some seeds of affinity growing. I do hope you can feel welcome and then part of scene.   Or "vibe" as Mr Shanghai states, straight out of the 1960s and crash-landing in UrchinLand.  Please note however that we do not tolerate Rom***d sympathisers so they will need to be turned round quickly. And given what Mike says about Harlow, maybe we should slide them into one of our songs - I've never liked them much either.

Fat Tom - you need to get the Leatherhead GSS info up quickly and add the meet-times for Basildon!... though not sure those Estuary boys'n'girls would keep up with your pre-match consumption.  (Lays down the challenge...)

Caliing any ex-Thurrock supporters.

Come into the club shop - it's on the slope to the right as you go towards the social club - and for £5 you can have an Urchins red and white woollen scarf and an AFC Hornchurch badge, and if you ask nicely you can have a mini scarf as well.

Did you support Thurrock when they were known as Purfleet?

Or as Essex Sports?

Or as Fondu?

Cheers Dagger and the other posters, sure you'll see some of us around over the remainder of the season and we'll pop into the shop.

The likes of Mike and a few of the older lot of fans were all Purfleet fans and go way back many years as i am sure he will tell you.

Those of us of a younger vintage first turned up during the Hakan Heyrettin years, so around 2008ish i think, as we were bored and wanted to watch local football over going to our various Prem clubs.  Watched as Thurrock flirted with promotion to the National League for half a season and then watched the numerous relegations that followed! 

Obviously not the way I would have liked to see new fans come and watch us and it’s a real shame what happened to Thurrock but all are welcome. I’d like to think we’re a friendly club. 

If any ex Thurrock fan would like to approach us just to let us know what they’d like to see at the football club or have any ideas/suggestions carried over from Thurrock then I’m sure that mr Daley would be interested to hear your input. No guarantee that those ideas can be implemented but you never know. We’re always going to listen.  

i have to say what happened to Thurrock i would not wish on any supporter or club and it was a real shame, but it's been good to see so many new face's popping up at the Urchins and whatever the reason for coming to our games your all welcolme.  it's been good to have a chat to a few of you as you pass by the players gate and to learn about some of our new players from your perspectives and i am sure they have settled in quicker for knowing you from last season.

I hope as you all settle in more with the Urchins that you all feel a part of the club going forward and find ways to get involved.

Archived