Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sin bins

Been some interesting Twitter chat around this.

I think it will be a positive thing in the long run.  Possible may cause some issues in the early stages as it beds in but I do think in the long run it will improve things.  

18 hours ago, mug2football said:

I think it will change the type of players recruited by managers going forward 

Fair point !

2 hours ago, MoleseyMan said:

And good look to referees having to manage multiple sinbins at the same time - they're going to need a fourth official!

At least !  Who would pay for them in local leagues ?  The three officials fees are already too much for some of the smaller clubs.

Sin bins would have to be located well away from the dugouts as wll  -  More expense.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke to a number of referees in past weeks and whilst there is support for the idea most think it unworkable in the current system.

A thought

In ice hockey penalty boxes are maintained by officials of the home club. This may be an idea.

I am assuming that players rejoining play will only do so at a break in play and therefore can be checked when ready to come back with respect to the time. In ice hockey it is recorded on the scoreboard and they can re-enter play at any time which obviously is against football laws.

This is making the assumption that someone put into the sin bin is therefore say 10 elapsed minutes and not 10 minutes of actual playing time?

• 2 months later...

Not a great fane of these but is happening and got to live with it. 10 minutes of playing time ... referee will manage this and player can rejoin during play

Went to a really good presentation on this last Saturday at the CCL AGM. Still a little confused though on what happens when a player receives a second yellow etc etc

The better, more credible, referees will use it as a threat, only using it when really necessary. The lesser referees will be sinbinning left, right and centre. 

Footy Mad - it only gets complicated if the same players is penalised for dissent twice. Otherwise everything is as is - two yellows = red, and dissent before or after a yellow card is still only a 10 min sinbin.

Two dissents = two periods of 10 mins in the sinbin, unable to rejoin after the second, but can be replaced by a sub

However, if that player has been cautioned as well, on receiving a second sinbin for dissent, they are unable to return and can't be subbed, so are essentially sent off (although a red card will not be shown).

Hope that helps!

On 10/04/2019 at 13:19, The Wall said:

Spoke to a number of referees in past weeks and whilst there is support for the idea most think it unworkable in the current system.

A thought

In ice hockey penalty boxes are maintained by officials of the home club. This may be an idea.

I am assuming that players rejoining play will only do so at a break in play and therefore can be checked when ready to come back with respect to the time. In ice hockey it is recorded on the scoreboard and they can re-enter play at any time which obviously is against football laws.

This is making the assumption that someone put into the sin bin is therefore say 10 elapsed minutes and not 10 minutes of actual playing time?

How many officials do you think clubs have at this level?

13 hours ago, Chris Clapham said:

How many officials do you think clubs have at this level?

A very good point Chris.

The more I read about it, the less I think it'll work in non-league.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:26, mug2football said:

Good move or bad?

Thoughts?

Bad in my opinion but I guess only time will tell.

Archived