Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Time for the real stuff

Theodopolous

Having been to all but one of the pre season games I thought I would give my views and hopefully get a number of other views from the members..... 

personally I see a long struggle ahead... mid table could be an achievement but a relegation battle a possibility... I have seen nothing in our recent signings or trialists (apart from the lightning pace of Charles ) to see we can complete with the top clubs... the lack of height throughout the team will be a major problem again from free kicks and corners as happened against a Royston side which out jumped us and out muscled us throughout.... standout players have been McDonald and Weatherstone.... Mo was there Saturday but looked to still be gentle training... Josh hasn’t been sighted for weeks (holiday perhaps) and could be well off the pace... god knows why we had to make eight plus changes every game ... why not play our best side for ninety minutes getting their fitness to match conditions..... At least the manager seems to have listened and is trying to play out from the back but it seems foreign to them with the ball normally ending back with McDonald after panic sets in.... We definitely need a big season from Billy as I’ve no idea where the goals will come from otherwise.... My prediction 15th .....  other views please.....

A lot of hard work has been put in throughout the summer to improve our facilities at the QE2 Stadium, and strengthen our first team playing squad for the challenges ahead. A number of players have left to join Hornchurch, attracted by the silly money on offer, but Andy and his management team have replaced them with some excellent signings, who have performed well in our pre-season friendlies. Think most people would agree that our standard of play against United FC of Manchester and Spurs U23s was excellent, and we thoroughly deserved our wins against two very good sides, in enjoyable, highly competitive matches.

26 minutes ago, littlehampton said:

A lot of hard work has been put in throughout the summer to improve our facilities at the QE2 Stadium, and strengthen our first team playing squad for the challenges ahead. A number of players have left to join Hornchurch, attracted by the silly money on offer, but Andy and his management team have replaced them with some excellent signings, who have performed well in our pre-season friendlies. Think most people would agree that our standard of play against United FC of Manchester and Spurs U23s was excellent, and we thoroughly deserved our wins against two very good sides, in enjoyable, highly competitive matches.

Agree with that entirely,I have been very impressed with what I have seen at the 3 games I have seen this pre season,the club has assembled a very competitive squad that I am sure will do us proud this season.

COYT.

15 minutes ago, andyetfc said:

Nothing changes. Different opinions from the start. Here we go again.

Well that’s what makes a forum andy.... nothing wrong with seeing things differently.... at least people post their opinions and I respect all of them...it would be a complete waste of time having this forum and nobody posting....  

Way way too early to guess/assume/bet......as you will about our chances this year.   I have only seen the game on Wednesday and on the whole we looked quite steady.   Organised, Weatherstone hardly a mistake at the back and our shape looked decent.

Spurs Development will face worse teams than us this year and obviously our team will change as at this level they always do.

Here's to hopefully an exciting season if nothing else.

The three games I have seen have formed my opinion that the players who play first half, especially against Spurs  should challenge the best in the league but, when substitutions are made, the strength in depth looks weak, reserve goalkeeper appears sound.

Next week and the real thing will determine how good we are. We often struggle at the Dripping Pan 3 points will be extremely good.

Nice to have members views... seems like again I’m on my own with the pessimism... that is mainly due to the lack of height and strength in the team.... But after last seasons optimism when I actually invested my hard earned on us to finish top three I will be more than happy to be proved wrong again...

Not on your own, Theodopolous - I've seen most of the friendlies and have seen nothing to get too excited about.

Most of the results have been good but if we go into the season with this squad I think we'll struggle too. Nathan M and Weatherstone have been the stand out players for me so far, itself worrying as I don't think we're strong enough at the back for this league.

Disappointing that very few players have actually played 90 mins - I know we need to look at players but a good pre-season for fitness can't be bought later in the season. I also find it odd that so many players are unavailable throughout pre-season - must be frustrating for the management - some question over commitment there for me. I know its the age we live in but fans seem more committed than the players!

I see that Hampton, who beat us, lost their first game 4-1 yesterday and Royston, who also beat us, lost 3-1 to Bishops Stortford from our league in mid week.  Best performances for me were the FC Utd of Manchester and Spurs U23 games but I'm not sure how strong either of those sides were - be very interesting to see how the latter do against Liverpool U23s in their first league game on Saturday.

I go into the new season with more hope than expectation - but will get behind the team all the same. COYT.

Interesting comments from all. Having been away most of the summer haven't yet seen "new team" yet. I agree with PR and RK and will as usual reserve my judgement until at least the end of September. Always in hope and when faced with a choice have renewed my membership and Season ticket

Looks like me and AT are thinking on the same lines... obviously we need a few matches to make judgment but this thread at least gives people a chance to comment on what they have seen so far... Mo’s lack of fitness and the distinct lack of height are my big concerns but I’m sure our coaching team will have these problems covered.....

I have been trying to find out whether there is a provisional list of the playing squad already signed for the coming season. Having perused the new website I had hoped to see profiles of these players but it still shows players from the past. Can anyone help?

I suppose you could formulate ones own list from the various announcements regarding players who have formally signed.  But, even as only a partial internet literate, it seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a new website.

2 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

I have been trying to find out whether there is a provisional list of the playing squad already signed for the coming season. Having perused the new website I had hoped to see profiles of these players but it still shows players from the past. Can anyone help?

I suppose you could formulate ones own list from the various announcements regarding players who have formally signed.  But, even as only a partial internet literate, it seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a new website.

as I understand the squad is and I not sure if its 100% accurate  and I believe 3 players are on contract

Mr Bricknell

Mr Weatherstone

and not sure on other one I think it was Josh Davidson and im not 100 % so correct me if im wrong

Billy Bricknell
Dan Rumens
James Potton
Joe Payne
Jon Muleba
Josh Davidson
Junior Mubiayi
Kezie Ibe
Lewis Taaffe
Marc Weatherstone
Nathan Macdonald
Ryan Blackman
Sam Youngs
Scott Thomas
Muhammadu Faal
Sam Bantick
Nathan Livings
Ken Charles
Sam Hattom
Tyler Forde
Brad Empson
Lewis King

I think that we'll be ok to be fair. I didn't want the manager to stay but I've seen all the home friendlies and we've played two up top and kept it on the floor. The additions to the team are as good as what we've lost but the one position that we haven't strengthened, is replacing Dan Rumens with a solid centre half. If we do that, then I think that we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season, so long as the manager doesn't resort back to hoofball !

In defence (no pun intended) of Rumens, I think he's actually pretty solid defensively with players alongside him that can organise well, and nobody can fault his commitment. Hopefully Weatherstone and the new look midfield/back four will improve our defensive shape -  In my view Rumems looked better in the first season when he had Purse alongside him than he did last year. That said, he's not the most comfortable defender on the ball that I've seen... but I guess the oppo can't score if the ball is in the stand ?

Archived