Jump to content
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Rhodes

Leighton Town

Recommended Posts

I see that Leighton Town have made the decision to unceremoniously ban all unaccompanied Under 18's from future home games at Bell Close following the crowd disturbances during their FA Vase Fourth Round win at Eynesbury Rovers earlier this month, this came into effect as from yesterday's game with Wembley. Surprisingly Leighton Town were unable to beat Wembley however extend their impressive run of just one defeat in their last twenty games, Ben Pattie was shown red near the end and could possibly miss the FA Vase Fifth Round tie at Bradford Town on 8 February as a result:

EPDMkclXsAAi7UW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can still go, they just need someone over the age of 18 that can take responsibility/blame for them acting like a bunch of little pr1cks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to note that Leighton Town had their highest attendance of the season yesterday --- an impressive 260 for a run-of-the-mill game v Wembley FC.

So what's happening here ?  Are the good people of Leighton Buzzard turning out in their droves to show their support for their club's brave stand against unacceptable behaviour ?

Or are the obnoxious ones actually turning up as usual but this time dragging along an aged person with them in order to facilitate entry ?

Fascinating times at Bell Close...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

Interesting to note that Leighton Town had their highest attendance of the season yesterday --- an impressive 260 for a run-of-the-mill game v Wembley FC.

So what's happening here ?  Are the good people of Leighton Buzzard turning out in their droves to show their support for their club's brave stand against unacceptable behaviour ?

Or are the obnoxious ones actually turning up as usual but this time dragging along an aged person with them in order to facilitate entry ?

Fascinating times at Bell Close...

 

More likely the latter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A match report from Saturday's game with Wembley and a recent article from the Leighton Buzzard Observer, the report doesn't mention anything about the exceptionally good attendance unless there was some sort of special offer or incentive to attend. Following this evening's visit to Potton United in the Challenge Trophy Leighton Town travel to Colney Heath on Saturday and then to London Colney before taking on Bradford Town in the FA Vase so four away games in succession:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/0-4590070/report

https://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/sport/football/leighton-town-still-have-everything-to-play-for-with-four-cups-and-22-more-league-games-1-9208423

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a great attendance on Saturday and no special offers. I think the success of the club is being well reported locally via regional papers and twitter.

The policy of adults with under 18s is a bit controversial. 20 years ago or so I used to go on my own and had no interest in being a yob, there is a danger this could alienate a lot of future supporters. Let’s face it the future of non league does rely on encouraging new fans.

A significant proportion of those causing trouble at Eynesbury are not regular match go-ers. They tend to turn up for the big vase games. It would be quite easy to identify the main trouble makers from the videos (10-15 of them) and ban them from entering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with everything in your post LL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that it could be interesting if there is a replay with Bradford Town or, alternatively, if Leighton Town manage to get through on 8 February and are drawn at Bell Close in the Quarter Final as they were against 1874 Northwich in 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Bradford Town could be the limit of the run. Checking this morning, they are top of their league and have won 9 of the last 10 in the league.

would love to go this game but apparently it isn’t what the wife wants to do on her birthday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2020 at 07:53, LeightonLad said:

It was a great attendance on Saturday and no special offers.

Leighton Lad - I just thought the Club might have been selling tickets for the Bradford Town FA Vase tie before the Wembley game last Saturday seeing as you are not playing at home again beforehand, have Bradford Town made it all ticket to avoid any possible crowd disturbances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only just seen the video from the shocking scenes at the Eynesbury Rovers v Leighton Town FA Vase Fourth Round tie, I initially thought it was just handbags at dawn but it really kicked off big time didn't it, like the good, sorry, bad old days of the 1970's:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great picture taken before the Bradford Town FA Vase Fifth Round tie, good luck tomorrow to everybody connected with Leighton Town Football Club for their Sixth Round tie at Corinthian:

Billede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leighton Town have issued a Club statement regarding the 'closedown' of the Club for as long as necessary:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/news/club-statement--club-closed--events-cancelled-until-further-notice-2523506.html

 

 

Share via
FacebookTwitter
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not this season but, as it's currently quiet, 14 April 2018 and Leighton Town 3 St Margaretsbury 1 in the SSML Premier Division, some excellent photos particularly of Bell Close, Ash Fuller with two and Alex O'Brien netted for Leighton Town: 

Leighton Town v St Margaretsbury (3-1) 14/04/2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go folks, some YouTube footage, courtesy of groundhopper Harry Mears, from Leighton Town's FA Vase Quarter Final tie with 1874 Northwich on 24 February 2018 for those who haven't seen it:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again after the Lord Mayors Show but over sixty photographs, courtesy of Sports Shots, from the FA Vase Second Qualifying Round tie between Leighton Town and Leverstock Green on 23 September 2017 which Leighton Town won 2-0. Clearly nobody knew at that stage that the Bell Close Club would go all the way to the Quarter Final taking care of Burnham Ramblers, London Lions, Gorleston, Norwich CBS and Wolverhampton Sporting Community in later rounds after seeing off Brimscombe & Thrupp and Leverstock Green at Bell Close in qualifying ties:

Leighton Town v Leverstock Green FAV

O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect that comparisons are being made, or will be when the pubs open again, between Leighton Town's FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round of the competition in both 2017/18 and this season and which was the better of the two. In 2017/18 it was more of a rollercoaster ride under that talismanic Scott Reynolds compared to the professionalism of Joe Sweeney who leaves no stone unturned in his approach and that was evident at Eynesbury Rovers, Bradford Town and so nearly at Corinthian who performed better than anyone expected them to on the day, including themselves. Scott Reynolds however pulled off a miracle in a Fifth Round tie at Wolverhampton Sporting Community who won their West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division and Cup double that season, Leighton Town led 3-1 in an enthralling first period at a hostile Pride Park (see photo) however Wolverhampton drew level to go in at the break 3-3 with tea cups flying everywhere in their dressing room. Scott Reynolds men won the tie with a hotly disputed penalty on the hour mark which Alex O'Brien calmly converted with the Black Country faithful literally baying for blood:

 No photo description available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:29, Rhodes said:

Scott Reynolds however pulled off a miracle in a Fifth Round tie at Wolverhampton Sporting Community who won their West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division and Cup double that season, Leighton Town led 3-1 in an enthralling first period at a hostile Pride Park (see photo) however Wolverhampton drew level to go in at the break 3-3 with tea cups flying everywhere in their dressing room. Scott Reynolds men won the tie with a hotly disputed penalty on the hour mark which Alex O'Brien calmly converted with the Black Country faithful literally baying for blood:

Photographs from that thrilling FA Vase Fifth Round tie at Pride Park on 10 February 2018:

Wolves Sporting CFC v Leighton Town FAV5R

 

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 100 photographs from the Leighton Town v 1874 Northwich FA Vase Sixth Round tie at Bell Close on 24 February 2018: 

Leighton Town v 1874 Northwich FAVQF

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:18, Rhodes said:

Clearly nobody knew at that stage that the Bell Close Club would go all the way to the Quarter Final taking care of Burnham Ramblers, London Lions, Gorleston, Norwich CBS and Wolverhampton Sporting Community in later rounds after seeing off Brimscombe & Thrupp and Leverstock Green at Bell Close in qualifying ties:

Photographs from the Leighton Town v Norwich CBS FA Vase Fourth Round tie at Bell Close on 6 January 2018:

Leighton Town v Norwich CBS FAV

 

Edited by Rhodes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:29, Rhodes said:

I expect that comparisons are being made, or will be when the pubs open again, between Leighton Town's FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round of the competition in both 2017/18 and this season and which was the better of the two

It would be interesting to get Leighton Lad's view on what was the better of Leighton Town's two recent FA Vase runs to the Sixth Round in 2017/18 and 2019/20 as he must have attended a lot of the ties. In 2017/18 Brimscombe & Thrupp (3-1), Leverstock Green (2-0), Burnham Ramblers (1-0), London Lions (1-0), Gorleston (4-2), Norwich CBS (5-2) and Wolverhampton Sporting Community (4-3) were taken care of before they fell 1-0 to 1874 Northwich at Bell Close and this season Bugbrooke St Michaels (3-0), Long Crendon (5-2), Hadleigh United (2-1), FC Broxbourne Borough (6-1), Eastbourne Town (2-1), Eynesbury Rovers (4-3) and Bradford Town (3-1) were put to the sword before Corinthian played out of their skins to win 4-3 at Gay Dawn Farm on 7 March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rhodes said:

In 2017/18 Brimscombe & Thrupp (3-1), Leverstock Green (2-0), Burnham Ramblers (1-0), London Lions (1-0), Gorleston (4-2), Norwich CBS (5-2) and Wolverhampton Sporting Community (4-3) were taken care of before they fell 1-0 to 1874 Northwich at Bell Close

Photographs and match report from the FA Vase Third Round tie at Eastern Counties League Premier Division Gorleston on 2 December 2017 which Leighton Town won 4-2 with two goals each from Tom Silford and Lewis McBride:

https://www.leightontownfc.co.uk/teams/11587/match-centre/0-3909925/report

Gorleston v Leighton Town FAV

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leighton Town had a very disappointing FA Cup Preliminary Round exit in 2017/18 at the hands of Hellenic League Premier Division Tuffley Rovers at Bell Close on 19 August 2017. Having led 2-0 at the break and looking more than comfortable with just ten minutes remaining, Tuffley Rovers somehow managed to turn it around to win 3-2 with two goals in stoppage time:

Leighton Town v Tuffley Rovers FA Cup

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photographs from Leighton Town v Berkhamsted in a SSML Premier Division fixture on 13 March 2018 which resulted in a 0--0 stalemate, Berkhamsted were promoted to the Southern League Division One East despite finishing second to Welwyn Garden City that 2017/18 season, Leighton Town finished fourth:

Leighton Town v Berkhamsted SSMFLP

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...