Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

League Looking to Terminate Season

Fat Tom Daley

Statement from the league

A statement has been sent to all of our clubs by Nick Robinson, Chair of the Isthmian League. It covers issues around how the season will end, player contracts and Government support. We don't propose to repeat all of the detail here as much of it will be of interest only to clubs, but the main points around discussions on how we end the season are worthy of sharing. Nick explains:

'The Alliance Leagues held the latest of several conference calls last night (Monday) after our own Board, and those of the Northern Premier and Southern Leagues, met over the weekend to determine how we wish to proceed. We have also participated in calls with the Step 5/6 clubs.

The Step 3 & 4 Leagues share Clubs’ frustration that it is taking so long to determine whether the 2019/20 season is to end now, and if so on what basis. To maintain the integrity of our competitions, we ideally need to apply one solution across the whole of the National League System. However, this may not be possible.

The Isthmian, Northern Premier and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019-20 season immediately. The Step 5/6 Leagues also support the immediate termination of the season.
Whether that is done on the basis of determining final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null & void cannot be determined until the National League decides how it wishes to proceed.

Right now, the National League’s position is that they wish to be able to resume the 2019-20 season at some point. The feeder Leagues do not support this because our Clubs do not have the financial resources to continue to honour Player contracts indefinitely.

The Step 3 and 4 Leagues have therefore commenced the process to terminate the season. This has to be ratified by the FA Council, so there may be a short delay as the relevant documentation is submitted, distributed and approved.

Whilst this process is on-going, and once the National League has finalised how it wishes to proceed, competition issues can then be decided, together with the implications for promotion and relegation.

As soon as the National League’s position is finalised, we will be able to confirm the basis on which the 2019-20 season has ended. As I have already pointed out, we need as much commonality across the National League System as possible.

The FA is currently reviewing its Rules to understand whether any emergency changes are required for season 2019/2020 which impact on player contracts, registration deadlines and retention/offers of re-engagement in the National League System. Given the fast-moving nature of the existing situation this work is ongoing.

Finally, at this very difficult time, I hope that you and your families will stay safe.'

Once we have more information about this matter, we will bring it to you as quickly as we can.

This is a hard one to call. IMO i would go with voiding the season so that it is fair across the leagues, but only that reason.

I feel sorry for all at the club who have put in so much hard work on and off the pitch this season, to try and get us back to the Conference South.

Where does a club like Hornchurch FC go and do after a situation like this as it damaging financially!! ?

I read this last night and for all the great football we have had this season it is a sad end to the season but in view of peoples health including all the teams and officials it is the right decision.

What I hope is they void the season rather than award title seeing as nobody is in a clear uncatchable lead as how will they decide all playoff places and league movements as I dont see ppg as being a fair way to decide this either

More importantly I do wish all of us Urchins thats players,  staff, and fans the best of health and hope you get through this to see another season.

54 minutes ago, kimbles left foot said:

So basically the club has spent thousands throughout the season and volunteers working tirelessly all for nothing. I feel this could well be the end for a few clubs I'm afraid.

It's never for nothing... it's for the love of the club and football, we move on and do it even better next season ... COYU'S 

It could have been worse we could have been sitting at the top of the table with promotion in the bag and have the carpet pulled away. We as a club have been through worse hopefully the season will start in August and we start again. Come Urchins 

It's a real shame - we would have been at least in the playoffs and bearing in mind our unbeaten home form would have been a real contender. Isn't there a team 12 points clear at the top in one league?

Having said that, we live in exceptional times and people's health has to come first. The only thing that I will add is that football clubs at our level are usually in a precarious situation and the FA just for one need to step up to the mark and support lower league clubs rather than just concerning themselves with the Premier League. They need to put their hands in the pockets and help the clubs over this period.

Maybe clubs could arrange lots of friendlies to compensate..tues, sat, tues, sat etc..

The league could have played the remaining fixtures instead of friendlies in august..

Archived