Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Retention of players for clubs like ours.

4wembleyfinals

Lets hope this is not the tip of the iceberg and that lighting doesn't strike twice. 

What amazes me is that having seen what BQ did before I would think players would be a bit more cautious of his intentions. After all last time many of them who followed him lasted, at best, 15 months before they were on the way  out. Hardly advancement!!!!!!

I must add that I entirely concur with the sentiments expressed in your last para Barney. Unfortunately we will have to wait and see what happens after this lockdown. 

PS.  On a lighter side do you know it is quiet alright for us all to make up a party to go Rough Shooting as this does not impinge on the Covid restrictions. Anyone fancy a trip to the Northern Moorlands, what-ho old boy!!!!! 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

30 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

PS.  On a lighter side do you know it is quiet alright for us all to make up a party to go Rough Shooting as this does not impinge on the Covid restrictions. Anyone fancy a trip to the Northern Moorlands, what-ho old boy!!!!! 

just getting me plus 4's and double barrel out the locker

get geevies the butler to bring the drinks  what-ho what-ho  old chap

It’s all a bit like the food chain really. We get players from lower league clubs and higher league clubs get players from us. Happens all the time. All the management team need to do is work as hard as possible to get the players playing as well as they can and get the results which will then encourage supporters to watch on a regular basis.

Very true Andy but when a club, like Welling, are trying to crowd fund players especially I would think twice before making a decisive move. Especially after the Manger's recent history I would be wary as to whether I make the mood.

I felt this about MO. It's good to move up but hardly wise to a club almost bankrupt.   

19 minutes ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Very true Andy but when a club, like Welling, are trying to crowd fund players especially I would think twice before making a decisive move. Especially after the Manger's recent history I would be wary as to whether I make the mood.

I felt this about MO. It's good to move up but hardly wise to a club almost bankrupt.   

If it was not Welling, then it could be another club.

Edited by andyetfc

I'll be very impressed if we hang on to them come December. I'd imagine Brad'll move heaven and earth to keep them on board. My only (probably futile) hope is that they don't fancy the travel to Welling, and perhaps Welling can't offer them any more in the way of ££.

Social media suggests it was more down to Errol rather than Brad that these players ended up at Welling?

Edited by The Crowing Cockerel

they both seem to be making a real impact there  .. and from what I've read on forums etc there doesnt seem to be much mention of them being there for just a month ...

IF the lockdown ends on 2 Dec I have a level of confidence they will be back - so long as no stupid money is thrown at them, why swap a pomotion chase for a relegation battle with a lot more travel? PLus with Welling struggling, how long will BQ be manager there - some of their forum members predict he'll be gone by xmas ...

Ryan loves the town and  already in my all time town XI.

As for Lyle, looking at his wiki page, Town are his 13th club and he has yet to make 30 appearances for any of them. He has settled with us, has been our best player this season.

They know they are both fan favourites here .. so hoping that is enough ..

if our level is shut down for longer it will make it easier for them to stay at Welling longer, and then who knows ....

2 hours ago, Raingod said:

they both seem to be making a real impact there  .. and from what I've read on forums etc there doesnt seem to be much mention of them being there for just a month ...

IF the lockdown ends on 2 Dec I have a level of confidence they will be back - so long as no stupid money is thrown at them, why swap a pomotion chase for a relegation battle with a lot more travel? PLus with Welling struggling, how long will BQ be manager there - some of their forum members predict he'll be gone by xmas ...

Exactly my thoughts RG in a nut shell. The only proviso is that if BQ is allowed to takes more players, as he did in the past, will he become a saviour to the Welling forum members??? as at Braintree. 

Others will say that it is the way things are. Of course it always will be until someone stands up to it.

If other clubs who , with financial restraints, find it hard to contract players but feel strongly about the current situation it may be worth their while to try and raise a quorum of Teams within the league to request a vote, as to whether or not, to increase the 7 day approach to a longer period. With the proviso of allowing a shortening of the period if the pursuing club agrees to pay a nominal set fee.  If such a proposal was voted in then it should become part of the leagues rules. Of course it would be better the FA introduced such a rule.

It may sound preposterous to some but at least it would be a start. But just a thought.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

It is difficult not to understand and share the genuine concerns expressed by our members / supporters on this Forum over the agreed dual-registration of Ryan and Lyle to Welling Utd.

I find myself agreeing with many of the comments posted on this topic (including those from old friend 4wembley finals) and very much hope our Board members remain steadfast and stick by the statement published on the ETFC official website on 06/11/20, and there is no change in our clearly stated position with regard to these two players. Time will tell !

Both players are, without question, much respected, influential members of our first team squad, and we can't afford to lose them if we are to continue our push for promotion, and achieve our own ambitions this season. Ryan will likely stay, and remain as Towns Club Captain, but Lyle's social media comments after yesterdays match, do pose serious questions about his future commitment.

Let's hope these fans favourites make the right decision and stay with the Town.

another way round this 7 day thing  it is between teams in that league  and not conferrance

i can see brad taking a few more if he gets his way  and as the board dont seem to worry who goes we could be left with ???????? over to you A L

Thank you LH for your generosity of spirit for my concerns, along with others, regarding the current sharing of our players.  I do hope that you are  right in that the Board will insist in asking BQ to stand by his " amicable agreement " as stated in their Official announcement. But as you say " time will tell".

I also concur with OT remarks. But It seems that all we can do is to continue to the Board know our feelings on the matter. Surely "Once bitten twice shy!!!!" should be the watch phrase  and not accept any more proposals from BQ again under similar circumstances.  I suppose one response has to be tailored depending on whether it is obligatory to accept a 7 day notice. Then if it is it is another stupid rule that needs challenging.  

On another note you are quiet right RG regarding the Bosman Ruling.  Basically under a ruling of the ECJ  which, by re-affirmation of the EU Treaty regarding freedom movement,  allowed a player to move to a new club at the end of their contract without a transfer fee. In addition it allowed players to agree a pre-contract with another club on free transfer whilst the player was in the last six months of his  existing contract. Hence the large signing on fees etc, especially to agents, which are now being offered.

I have to say again we will have to wait and see what happens regarding what restrictions future lockdowns will bring. If they are as complex as they currently are our discussion on the above matter will be of no immediate consequence.

Ps. Another gem of Lockdown thinking. AS a friend said " I am allowed to sleep with my wife but can't play tennis or golf with her." No mention of girlfriends!!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Its an interesting situation. Welling are trying to crowd fund for their squad because they have as yet had no paying fans through the turnstiles. ETFC, on the other hand, have had some fans through the doors and therefore some funds coming in. It will be interesting to see what happens come December. I am presuming that we will revert to the pre-lockdown situation sooner rather than later. So I would hope that ETFC are once again allowed fans in attendance. I'm not sure that the National League can reasonably follow suit, can they? In which case, will Welling be able to pay Ryan & Lyle more than ETFC?

Brad does keep talking about 'players returning from injury'. He might just have to send them our way!

All we need now is Ryan to bag a couple of goals For Welling. Someone tell Lyle to saves his goals for when he's back with us - he's made his point!