Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Congratulations Cheshunt.

1 hour ago, Wildlife rescue said:

Well done Cheshunt.

They have been on a really good run and to finish 5th and win two playoff games credit where it's due.

Edwards is a very good manager.

Thanks W R . good luck next season. 

Congrats to Cheshunt. Will be very interesting to see how they get on in the National League South.

I'm sure our Chairman and Manager have some kind of idea about this, but I did start to wonder a few weeks back what the financial implications are of promotion to the National League. Promotion from the Championship to the Premier League is worth in excess of £100m, yet you don't even accrue any more prize money for winning League 2 and securing promotion from that division. So presumably the only increases in revenue with promotion from the Isthmian League to the National League South would be later entry into the cup competitions (so a better chance of more prize money), slightly more in the way of sponsorship opportunities and the odd increased crowd (e.g. Dulwich)? You'd have to weigh that up against the need to increase the playing budget for 'National League Players' and increased travel costs for trips to the likes of Chippenham, Bath, Dover(?) and Kings Lynn(?). Are crowds likely to dwindle after the initial promotion euphoria if you're looking at lower-mid-table mediocrity?

I hope its possible to succeed in the National League without the need for a Money Man and hopefully Town can find out eventually.

On 02/05/2022 at 20:33, The Crowing Cockerel said:

Congrats to Cheshunt. Will be very interesting to see how they get on in the National League South.

I'm sure our Chairman and Manager have some kind of idea about this, but I did start to wonder a few weeks back what the financial implications are of promotion to the National League. Promotion from the Championship to the Premier League is worth in excess of £100m, yet you don't even accrue any more prize money for winning League 2 and securing promotion from that division. So presumably the only increases in revenue with promotion from the Isthmian League to the National League South would be later entry into the cup competitions (so a better chance of more prize money), slightly more in the way of sponsorship opportunities and the odd increased crowd (e.g. Dulwich)? You'd have to weigh that up against the need to increase the playing budget for 'National League Players' and increased travel costs for trips to the likes of Chippenham, Bath, Dover(?) and Kings Lynn(?). Are crowds likely to dwindle after the initial promotion euphoria if you're looking at lower-mid-table mediocrity?

I hope its possible to succeed in the National League without the need for a Money Man and hopefully Town can find out eventually.

If Concord Rangers can survive then why shouldn't we ??  Our Chairman vowed at presentation night we are on the up. It took a long time to get the books straight after the previous regime left. Not only that but to get the club into a profit making business instead of making a loss. Craig Edwards applying for the job 5 years ago was a pleasant surprise and he was quickly installed and quickly turned fortunes around.   Money has to be spent and will be spent on the ground . We have some good youthful players here and I'm sure we will add some experienced faces in due course.  Thanks for your concern ?

4 hours ago, Albury_Walker said:

If Concord Rangers can survive then why shouldn't we ??  Our Chairman vowed at presentation night we are on the up. It took a long time to get the books straight after the previous regime left. Not only that but to get the club into a profit making business instead of making a loss. Craig Edwards applying for the job 5 years ago was a pleasant surprise and he was quickly installed and quickly turned fortunes around.   Money has to be spent and will be spent on the ground . We have some good youthful players here and I'm sure we will add some experienced faces in due course.  Thanks for your concern ?

AW, my friend, my concern was more for ETFC rather than Cheshunt. As you know, we don't have the money-man who could bankroll any extra expenditure. I think Cheshunt will survive in NLS, but having been the 5th best side in the ILP, I don't expect you to pull up any trees next season. It will clearly take some effort and expenditure - you can see that from the exploits of both Chelmsford and Billericay this season - with both struggling in a very tough league. I hope Craig can work some more of his magic and that we meet again in a year or two.

On 07/05/2022 at 16:18, Albury_Walker said:

Is spending money on the ground not a false economy? Isn't it going to be knocked down once the new housing estate starts going up and a new 'purpose built' ground built after the flats are finsihed? Also finding a conference standard groundshare will be harder to find and more expensive.Can't think of the nearest one to Cheshunt?  St Albans /Billericay/Braintree maybe?

Edited by lovely stuff

17 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

AW, my friend, my concern was more for ETFC rather than Cheshunt. As you know, we don't have the money-man who could bankroll any extra expenditure. I think Cheshunt will survive in NLS, but having been the 5th best side in the ILP, I don't expect you to pull up any trees next season. It will clearly take some effort and expenditure - you can see that from the exploits of both Chelmsford and Billericay this season - with both struggling in a very tough league. I hope Craig can work some more of his magic and that we meet again in a year or two.

I think we have to accept that we (as a club) decided to secure and guarantee our long term future by putting in place a fan owned system that prevents one person being able to buy and sell the club (and the stadium).We put that in place because of how events unfolded with the chairman at Enfield fc.

Unfortunately when you run a club based on just reinvesting gate money and bar money,you will always find 4 or 5 teams in your given league that are currently being funded by a businessman chairman.Sometimes this investment last 5 years or maybe even 10/20/30 if they are lucky.And success will come with that cash investment.

Even this week we learn that the historic Basingstoke Town Ground has just been given planning permisssion for a new housing estate with no prospect of a new ground to play at.The money man chairman who purchased the club 10 years ago is now using the site for housing.Sounds very familiar to what happened at Enfield FC..A chairman that owns a club outright is very risky nowadays what with the price of building land..And even if your current chairman is honourable and doesn't sell you dowin the river ,there is no guarantee the next person he sells it to will not do just that!

Supporter owned clubs will grow more slowly than financed clubs and maybe not win as much, but they are ensuring the club and the stadium will be right there at the heart of the community for their own lifetimes and for many generations to come

Edited by lovely stuff

1 hour ago, lovely stuff said:

I think we have to accept that we (as a club) decided to secure and guarantee our long term future by putting in place a fan owned system that prevents one person being able to buy and sell the club (and the stadium).We put that in place because of how events unfolded with the chairman at Enfield fc.

Unfortunately when you run a club based on just reinvesting gate money and bar money,you will always find 4 or 5 teams in your given league that are currently being funded by a businessman chairman.Sometimes this investment last 5 years or maybe even 10/20/30 if they are lucky.And success will come with that cash investment.

Even this week we learn that the historic Basingstoke Town Ground has just been given planning permisssion for a new housing estate with no prospect of a new ground to play at.The money man chairman who purchased the club 10 years ago is now using the site for housing.Sounds very familiar to what happened at Enfield FC..A chairman that owns a club outright is very risky nowadays what with the price of building land..And even if your current chairman is honourable and doesn't sell you dowin the river ,there is no guarantee the next person he sells it to will not do just that!

Supporter owned clubs will grow more slowly than financed clubs and maybe not win as much, but they are ensuring the club and the stadium will be right there at the heart of the community for their own lifetimes and for many generations to come

Agreed, LS. It seems as if we're heading in the right direction - getting a crowd of 2,000 into the ground shows that. Plus there definitely seems to have been a growth in sponsorship. If we can find a way of growing crowds to 'Dulwich levels' (- and I don't see why we can't in the long term), then surely we can be competitive at NLS level? Its hard to be patient as a football fan, but I guess we're in it for the long haul. I think we'd all rather that than going through a repeat of the demise of Enfield FC. You never know, perhaps a fan might win the Euromillions this week and decide to chuck a couple of million our way?