Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lewes V Enfield Town

dwhe

FT 1-0 to Lewes.

With 8 games remaining (- and some very very tough ones at that!) I reckon we'll be fortunate to bag one of the away play-off spots.

Have the feeling that AL is going to have to do something very special to keep us in with a shout of the play-offs now. Will need to win against Casuals and Herne Bay (who are fighting for their lives). Then we have Hornchurch (who I'd say are now odds on for the title), Cray, Horsham, Haringey, Stortford, Aveley. 

Looks a very tough run-in. Call me a pessimist, but on current form I think we'll finish 7th or 8th.

I agree with you CC that AL will have to come up with something.  But then you know my view which is that he is reluctant to contemplate changes.

We can only hope that somehow the coaching staff can rekindle the winning mentality amongst the squad, which at the moment appears to be missing.

As you say it going to be a tough run in but  if the team is as strong as people have said then their pride should make them go that extra mile.

I will be the first to applaud if that takes them into the play-offs. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

In my opinion the money club at Hornchurch are now nailed on to win the title I think stortford and avely should make the playoffs which leaves 8 teams competing for the remaining 2 places looking at our remaining games it will certainly be a huge challenge to get one of those places especially with our best striker out injured. The only plus from today’s game is that we didn’t ship our customary 4 goals against Lewes

Edited by Rebel without a clue

3 goals scored in the last 6 games (which includes the 2-0 Bognor win) tells the story with no Mo to bail us out this season.

I think a 7th or 8th place finish is probably about right from what I've seen this season.

I also think that should signal the end of AL's tenure as manager of the club.

Lets see whether the manager (and his players) can prove me wrong.

Win the next three games and everybody will be happy with AL being the best manager since sliced bread.

Anything can happen in this league. Bishop Stortford were 0-2 down going into the last few minutes in midweek and got a draw and were leading 2-1 today and then lost 2-3 in the dying moments.

Edited by andyetfc

wasnt there yesterday so be good to hear from those that were ... listened to most of the 2nd half on their radio show - doesnt sound like we had much in the way of chances, and reading their forum and seeing the 3 mins of highlights seems to back this up, an LDV free kick being our best chance

Why was Dequain out of the squad? Injured? Did we change the formation? Be good to hear

I have just looked back at the last 5 seasons that have been completed ... and 76 points is enough each time (I have converted 46 match seasons to 42)

So that means 16 points from 10 games - which should be acheivable in anyone's book ...

Shame that in a season where there is no "Worthing" that we didnt keep pace at the top, but the play offs are very much still there .. 

Very disappointing result, and there was almost a sense of inevitability when they went 1-0 up, as we always seem to struggle against Lewes. It certainly sounded a pretty turgid affair, and even our Twitter feed said that we barely made them break sweat over 90 minutes. 4 points from the last 9 isn't great, and as others have said, there are now some games coming up where we have to perform and take points to stay in and around the play offs.

Was anyone at the game who can comment? Did anyone come out of it with any credit?

RG I think you will find we have only 8 games to play. Of which we need to win five to get to 75pts. 

However, what is immediately crucial to us is to win the next two away games. This is essential for everyone. Because this should keep most of the teams below us at bay until the end of the month. Certainly points off Hornchurch would be a welcome bonus.

The reasoning behind my above observation is that several of those clubs nearest to us have to play one another during that period and only one can win. Although draws would be more acceptable to. Especially in the case of Canvey Island. 

That leaves us to contend with April which if we go into it with at least 66pts and should give us a chance to at least gain the rest required to at least get a further 9pts .  On paper not an easy one for us but yet again those around us are will be playing each other. Also we play 3 of our last games at home which will be up to us to win. Each one will be like cup finals.

It's certainly achievable but is the hands of the playing management and players. We can only support them and will them to give it their best shot!!!!! 

This could go all the way.  Let's hope for a good outcome.

pts

Thanks for this 4WF - what was I thinking! 

OK last 4 seasons finishing points for 5th place:

21/22 Cheshunt 76 pts

18/19 Merstham 70 pts

17/18 Leiston 79 from 46 games = 72 pts from 42

16/17 Wingate 75 from 46 games = 68 pts from 42.

So 3 out of 4 occasions 72 pts is enough - that is 4 wins from 8.

We have a very tough run in but with so many teams involved lets hope everyone drops against others (except for us!)

Still all to play for .. hoping Jake can be back in action sooner rather than later .. perhaps Liam Hope as a deadline signing to come off the bench for us??!!

And if Dequain has a hamstring issue do we need another defender to ensure we have the back 3 option? Remembering last seasons final when Chappell and Smith were unavailable did mean a last minute change .. 

On 14/03/2023 at 07:06, Raingod said:

Thanks for this 4WF - what was I thinking! 

OK last 4 seasons finishing points for 5th place:

21/22 Cheshunt 76 pts

18/19 Merstham 70 pts

17/18 Leiston 79 from 46 games = 72 pts from 42

16/17 Wingate 75 from 46 games = 68 pts from 42.

So 3 out of 4 occasions 72 pts is enough - that is 4 wins from 8.

We have a very tough run in but with so many teams involved lets hope everyone drops against others (except for us!)

Still all to play for .. hoping Jake can be back in action sooner rather than later .. perhaps Liam Hope as a deadline signing to come off the bench for us??!!

And if Dequain has a hamstring issue do we need another defender to ensure we have the back 3 option? Remembering last seasons final when Chappell and Smith were unavailable did mean a last minute change .. 

I don't think 72 points will be enough this year - and the predicted table agrees with me: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/isthmian-football-league-premier-division/league-table/predicted - suggests we'll finish 6th with 75 points and 77 points required to make the play-offs this season.

Somehow we need to play out of our skins to make the play-offs now. At present I can't see it as we sit 18th in the form guide.

I do hope you are wrong CC. But I have the same feeling. May I refer you to my earlier post under the title " Cup Defeat".........AS there is certainly "something rotten in the State of Donkey Lane"*  at the moment.

What ever it is it needs fixing quickly, by the Board, as it could not only affect our league position, but club plans for the future. 

* With apologies to Shakespeare. 

Hi CC .. yes it will be tough .. but still in our hands ...

At 1st glance the predicted table is worrying to look at ... but when you look at all the predicted results - if those results all happened but we simply beat Stortford 1-0 rather than lose 0-1 to them as they predict, we would jump up from 6th to 2nd in the table!

Hopefully our blip ends with a win at Corinthian on Saturday ...

21 hours ago, Raingod said:

Hi CC .. yes it will be tough .. but still in our hands ...

At 1st glance the predicted table is worrying to look at ... but when you look at all the predicted results - if those results all happened but we simply beat Stortford 1-0 rather than lose 0-1 to them as they predict, we would jump up from 6th to 2nd in the table!

Hopefully our blip ends with a win at Corinthian on Saturday ...

Can you really see us beating Stortford though? Certainly not on current form.

I think is more attitude CC than form. We can maintain our position if  everyone puts in an effort. I mean "everyone" including all the playing staff!!!! on and off the pitch.  

Even the league's news correspondent refers to our current plight in to days comments about tomorrows game.  Amongst his observations he includes the following phrase  " but Town will surely be determined to pick up three points"  

Perhaps his whole paragraph should be read to the players before the match!!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals