Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Whitehawk

seemgee

Desperately need a centre back who can head a ball and add calm to the defence. I lost count of the missed headers in the first half. Letting the ball bounce before attacking it in our own half as well is simply not good enough. 

Glad Marcus is on a contract as he won’t be with us much longer if he continues with this form. Was outstanding tonight. 

Having watched the team for some time we are crying out for a leader at the back. A Kirby, Weatherstone ….

Luke Knight (Margate) 

Gerry Gyebi (Dulwich Hamlet) 

both would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have.

Still not sure where the money we were purportedly paying Mo went and this seasons cup run money must be reinvested so we don’t miss out yet again on the playoffs.

Edited by Comet

Andy- it’s not about opinions changing - it’s about letting gosls in and losing points.

How many goals have the team let in in the final 20 mins of matches this season

sure someone has the stats.

needs to be addressed or aspirations of a play off position will disappear which would be a great shame.

The same starting 11 as on Saturday vs. Hastings but our back 4 simply weren't as sharp (except Joe Payne, who I thought had one of his better games). I am all for playing the two out wide (Knight and Adjei-Hersey) but it does leave us short in midfield. Youngs and Thomas were outnumbered the whole game and it meant Whitehawk had far more possession that we should have let them have. Even though we scored 4, I thought we were more passive than we were against Hastings. No idea why, Hastings were stronger than Whitehawk (and better on the ball).

We looked threatening each time we went forward and Wyllie's opener summed up the season he is having - in the right place at the right time, and clinical. I thought we would go on and get a second but the Whitehawk equaliser seemed to knock us back. I thought Okotcha was unlucky - it was a low cross into the box that he had to try and clear, but unfortunately it ricocheted in off his shins for an OG. Whitehawk then had the better of the game without really threatening, and Youngs' goal for our second was against the run of play. But when the ball fell to him, he finished neatly with a low, curling shot to the keeper's right. Wyllie's second (and our third) to put us 3-1 up was yet another decisive finish (he really is playing well) but the game turned right on half time when we conceded a REALLY sloppy (how many times am I going to think that) free header from a corner. Dreadful defending, particularly as we had all 11 players back for the corner (a tactic I don't like). Better to leave at least 1 player up so there is an outlet. So 3-2 rather than 3-1 up at half time which was disappointing. Having said that, 3-1 would have flattered us, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Okotcha must have had a knock in the first half because he couldn't start the second, with Kyle Bailey replacing him. I thought we played a little nervously at the start of the second half and Wyllie's hat-trick goal (to make it 4-2) came out of the blue. Another ball over the top that he raced onto out wide. From the angle he was at, he had no right to score but he directed his first time shot so well, the keeper could only watch it roll into the far corner. A terrific hat-trick.

4-2 up with 25 or so minutes to go and all we needed to do was keep the ball. But we didn't and kept gifting possession to Whitehawk. They weren't doing much with all that possession though and with just 10 minutes to go, things were comfortable. But then Forster threw himself headlong at an incoming ball, didn't get there first, and the resulting penalty changed things completely. We were now in survival mode. And sure enough, Whitehawk took the chance that we gifted them. Not quite sure how the through ball reached their CF but he made no mistake with the finish, lobbing Forster for a well taken equaliser right at the death. An end to end game but definitely 2 points dropped.

We are scoring freely but the wheels came off the defensive bus last night (not for the first time). But our management team aren't stupid and I'm sure there will be changes against Chatham. I hope Okotcha is fit for that game, we look (reasonably) secure when he and Richmond are our two CBs.

Agree with some of the comments above regarding the defence a more commanding centre back is desperately needed as we are far to vulnerable with crosses into the box , obviously the title is going to Hornchurch but I’m still optimistic we can secure one of the playoff berths 

I have concerns regarding our keeper. He is young and does not command  the box. You rarely hear him in a game and he should not be shy. It starts with him instructing the defence. He has the best view!

All of the good sides have goalkeepers who command the box.

This is not a criticism of his shot saving or his command in the goal area but he has to command the defence from the back At one time many of us would have noticed on a long attack by Whitehawk their goalkeeper came out and had a long chat with their centre half we do not see that with our goalie.

Here are a couple of histograms of our goal times For and Against so far this season.

Goals For reflects the high energy we have at the start of each half.

Goals Against literally shows our problem at the end of games. It's notable that games where we finished strongly, e.g. v. Hastings, Wingate+Finchley, we are defending from the front, pressing their defenders as a unit, forcing errors. Its a big ask to do that every game, but when we don't the defence gets exposed and doesn't look like it's up to the task.  

The last column is 90'+n as FWP only lists them as "90'"

ETFC_Goals_Times_For.thumb.png.dc3a1c754ab8c85147051b4267f89b5e.pngETFC_Goals_Times_Against.thumb.png.9954ecb1d60f43c384d34fb5e5816001.png

Edited by symptomless

Sym it certainly makes interesting ready and shows again at what time in a game our steam starts to run out.

I am sure that Gavin and his coaches are aware of this and must be pulling their hair out currently trying to overcome it. But they can only do so much and it may have to make some strong decisions.

From what I read, it seems that the defence may require a rethink. Also, as Steph infers, perhaps the goalkeeper may be given a little more coaching attention, or even a short break, to help him recover the form that he showed at the beginning of the season.  Unfortunately being left exposed late in the game by those in front of him  must put his confidence under a lot of needless stress.

I'm not sure whether Gavin empowers certain players to oversee various parts of the field and to organise their part of the team ie. defence, midfield or attack. This is currently used in teams at all levels. As it helps the Captain to ensure the team keep their discipline for the whole period of the game. 

These are things that may help, but fitness and ability are still paramount.

What ever is decided I hope that it is  successful in bringing another string of wins starting on Saturday!!!!

Edited by 4wembleyfinals