Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Year Honours List

This never ceases to amaze me and I wonder whether names are simply plucked out of a hat or a pin stuck in a list of 'deserving' names. Just a few names that caught the eye this time round are, wait for it, Paul Ruddock, a hedge fund manager, who profited from the collapse of Northern Rock, a dubious practice known as 'short selling' to bet on shares in a bank failing. Gerald Ronson who members will recall was convicted of theft, conspiracy and accounting fraud following the Guinness scandal in 1990. Christopher Preddie, a cousin of the two brothers found guilty of killing Damilola Taylor and was previously involved with drugs and gangs. Other award winners include Jeannette Orrey, a Nottinghamshire dinner lady, Irene Reid, a lollipop lady, Lorraine Kelly and Peter Bazalgette, a businessman who brought Big Brother to Britain.

I particularly liked the OBE for the founder of Ascot Park Polo Club "for services to polo"!! Made himself some dosh out of providing facilities for toffs to ride around on expensive horses and got a gong for it.

I know that government departments are asked to provide nominations each year, and lots of the OBEs and MBEs go to long serving lower grade civil servants who have merely behaved themselves for a very long time and are about to retire/ have just retired. Then of course there are the obligatory much higher awards for retiring Permanent Secretaries

I thought Ronnie Corbett fully deserved his 'gong' ! Probably the only celebrity that did.

I thought Ronnie Corbett fully deserved his 'gong' ! Probably the only celebrity that did.

Surely he has won a gong before and this was just an 'upgrade'

• 5 months later...

I know the New Years Honours List isn't the same as the Queen's Birthday Honours List but an MBE for Gary Barlow, I ask you. Okay there are always some deserving cases such as Kate Winslet (CBE) and Jenny Agutter (OBE) but the likes of Kwame Kwei-Armah, Richard Stilgoe and Barlow says it all really:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160118/Queens-Birthday-Honours-List-2012-OBE-Gary-Barlow-Kate-Middletons-dressmaker.html

Richard Stilgoe received his knighthood in recognition for his philanthropy. I don't know much about his charitable works but as a lyricist working on Starlight Express he gave all of his royalties to a village in India. Just an example but probably you can find more and then re-think why he was deserving of an honour Rhodesy.

You're a charitable man aren't you Rhodesy? I seem to remember you telling us about giving young men money for some unexplained reason. Perhaps you'll get your just desserts one day too!

Richard Stilgoe is also a former Lord Lieutenant of Surrey,

he gave all of his royalties to a village in India

Loosely - Well there you go, I rest my case

he gave all of his royalties to a village in India

Loosely - Well there you go, I rest my case

A weak case like most of them Rhodesy.

Loosely - Have you got letters after your name out of interest, you like to give the impression that you're distinguished

Loosely - Have you got letters after your name out of interest, you like to give the impression that you're distinguished

You always come across as someone with a massive chip on your shoulder Rhodesy. I wonder why that is.

Loosely - Not at all, I could say exactly the same about you. So have you got any letters after your name.

Gosh Rhodesy, that was an almost a supersonic reply. Perhaps I've hit the nail on the head there.

Loosely - I’m beginning to feel a bit like Jeremy Paxman interviewing Michael Howard, have you got any letters after your name

Loosely - I’m beginning to feel a bit like Jeremy Paxman interviewing Michael Howard, have you got any letters after your name

Tell us about this chip on your shoulder first eh Rhodesy? Did you have a father figure in the household while you were growing up?

OBE's what a load of rubbish most of the people that get these awards are overpaid, never got there hands dirty, got 10 mansions, greedy twats.

;)

Edited by Savagebee

Savagebee - You might have unwittingly hit the nail slap bang on the head there, that's possibly why Loosely is being so secretive as he has an OBE or CBE, I know that he owns a number of properties