Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hopkins should never work again

Emily

I have to say that in my opinion the only good decision last night was Mark Lindop's giving the Man of the Match award to Darius Charles to rousing cheers.

Being fairly new to all of this, the clue for me was when the Half-Way Liners started singing "The referee's a w*nker" BEFORE the kick-off.

Told me 2 things:

1. How amazingly clever our fans are to be able to sing asterisks

2. I could expect some "interesting" refereeing.

I am sure we will be having some interesting discussions at the Club over the next couple of days...

Originally Posted By: JimGNFC
The ref may have been over-zealous with the cards (9 yellow cards - 6 fleet 3 histon). However, Sentanta indicated he issued 10 yellow cards in his previous game in charge so presumably the players were aware as a ref he takes "no prisoners".

Given this fact and the rate at which he was dishing out cards tonight, why did Charles (1st booking) and Gash choose to remonstrate with the ref?

Granted, though why a player should have to be any more careful with one referee over another shows the inconsistency of officials.

They even contradict themselves inside 90 minutes. Barrett's first-half booking was for what I thought was a two-footed lunge (though he got the ball). I was under the impression that was a red-card offence? A similar two-footed lunge by a Histon player in the second half went unpunished.

Players can't be expected to change their game to suit the wiles of referees from one game to the next.

I came as a neutral to see a game between two decent teams. The game started well at a good tempo but gradually descended into stop start football aided by the w**ker in the black. It got worse as the game went on and he clearly wanted to be centre of attention. I particularly liked the way he ordered all players 20 yards away before he would administer a booking and towards the end of the game players from both sides were just walking around dazed and confused.

I didn't pay my

Originally Posted By: Stu M

Granted, though why a player should have to be any more careful with one referee over another shows the inconsistency of officials.

They even contradict themselves inside 90 minutes. Barrett's first-half booking was for what I thought was a two-footed lunge (though he got the ball). I was under the impression that was a red-card offence? A similar two-footed lunge by a Histon player in the second half went unpunished.

Players can't be expected to change their game to suit the wiles of referees from one game to the next.

Fair enough but lets not forget referees are "human" (at least most are) and prone to inconsistencies.

The whole point of the

Originally Posted By: Digitalis
I have to say that in my opinion the only good decision last night was Mark Lindop's giving the Man of the Match award to Darius Charles to rousing cheers.

Being fairly new to all of this, the clue for me was when the Half-Way Liners started singing "The referee's a w*nker" BEFORE the kick-off.

Told me 2 things:
1. How amazingly clever our fans are to be able to sing asterisks
2. I could expect some "interesting" refereeing.

I am sure we will be having some interesting discussions at the Club over the next couple of days...

I seriously hope that the club are lodging an official compliant to the powers that be about this idiot! I know the Ref

I have never been so furious due to a refs performance like last night. Still am seething about it now which is unusual cause by the next day I have usually calmed down. Yeah sure we probably would of lost anyway but that moron sure as hell did not help. I do not usually remember referees names but I damn will remember his.

A match delegate is appointed to all BSP games, it would be interesting to see what mark he received on the night and indeed in previous games. if the marks are consistantly poor a referee can be removed from games. I have some doubts about his marks as this was a high profile game seen by many on live TV, so somebody must be giving good marks

We all understand the concept of the 'Respect' campaign but it will never work unless it is implemented throughout all leagues. Premiership players are the role models to lower league players and supporters alike and their games are televised much more often so why shouldn't they be expected to lead by example in their treatment of the referee?

Likewise, I will never understand how a 'Respect' campaign can be in place in lower leagues, yet England have players like John Terry and Rio Ferdinand wearing the captain's armband!

Useless fact alert: Darius is the first Fleet player to receive a second yellow for diving since Moussa Sidibe in the first game of the 2004/2005 season. The difference being, in this case, that it wasn't one.

I think a mixture of both sides of the argument is the reality here - both more restrained players and less pernickety officials are required.

I don't know how he gets away with it Ray. Each time I have seen him officiate, probably four/five times, his 'mo' is exactly the same. He wants to be everybodys mate in the first 30-45 minutes then it's as if he takes on a different personality at half time throwing cards around as if they are confetti after the break.

As you and I know from our time 'in the middle' officials can't get it right every time but Mr. Hopkins takes the biscuit.

From his body language the assistant referee on the Stonebridge Road side seemed embarrassed my Mr. Hopkins too. I'd have loved to have been a 'fly' on the dressing room wall after the game.

Mr. Kettle, ha, I remember him. Almost as bad as Mr. Deadman, who loved to throw cards around. The scary thing was, I was watching a game on Sky Sports the other week, QPR coventry I think(championship level) and Deadman was the referee. So expect to see Hopkins promoted. It seems the more cards they dish out, the higher up the leagues they go.

Well this is only a personal opinion, not an official statement, but Rachel Cheryl and myself have watched the video this morning. Rachel caught on straight away, it took me a several watches to see it, but the Histon players trailing leg does catch the tip of Darius's left foot as he is starting to bring his leg forward. Definitely what caused him to fall in our view.

And the fact that Darius immediately tried to get up and continue play tends to indicate it wasn't a dive, too.