Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Building bridges

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
morning peeps....see that the mod instigated moaning thread has now gone off topic....grin

Yes, I thought that myself ... and it doesn't matter that this thread has been consigned to the pub, we know it's still really part of the EUFC forum yay

Originally Posted By: Special Juan
Why isn't this in the EUFC forum? all you do is talk about that forum?

Well oh Special Juan - of course it WAS there and then it was moved in the middle of the night by the mods just as it threatened to become the longest thread on the EUFC site. We didn't want it to be moved and we still think it's an EUFC thread ......

Originally Posted By: Special Juan
Originally Posted By: Darter
We didn't want it to be moved and we still think it's an EUFC thread ......

Who are 'we'?

"We" are the people who were posting on it in the EUFC forum! And we are still posting on it here ... so it's not very general, I'm afraid. But it should be back in the EUFC forum. Perhaps a mod would move it back for us???

okay here's a few thoughts for sunday debate regarding our bridge building classes....patman asked me yesterday on the shoutbox what I thought would ultimately happen with regard to MyFc and subsequently its ownership of EUFC...for obvious reasons I deferred a reply on there so here are MY personal views thus far....

the concept of MyFc is a good one in principle but this groundbreaker has been flawed from the outset for several reasons...

now without the usual wind up comments about get rich quick schemes and moonies etc I do actually belive that will brooks is proud of his idea and sees the whole thing as his baby...his lifes work...his legacy if you like and fair play to him....but therein lies the rub as will brooks forgot to think about the consequences of it all in the euphoric early days as he and his mates sat and sowed the seeds in that little flat in fulham...or perhaps they lacked the understanding of the NL football world and its tribalistic people and their mostly subjective views...a good example of that was the appearance of wanchai and several other offshore pretorians as mouthpieces for MyFc on the ebbs forum....it was quite obvious from day one that all this was doing was pi55 off the ebbs rank and file and bring derision from outsiders but they persisted to such and extent that wanchai unfortunately became a figure of ridicule...

I digress...what was actually needed was a small integrated PR board made up of MyFc people with NL experience and the less partisan supporters from ebbs...these people would collectively have understood the problems inherent with the takeover and could have dealt with the forum posts and uproars a lot more rationally than the few oversees lackies that tried it....

its about respect and earning it...not demanding it for 35 quid...!

so mistake number two really as the first mistake was buying a southern based club...I have no doubt at all that for this to work 100% successfully long term it had to be a midlands based club accessible to all and it is plainly and painfully apparent from the MyFc message boards (and the ebbs attendences) that many members also think that...80% of the members just simply cannot get to the games on anything like a regular basis and without a substantial increase in the support on the terraces the finances simply will not work...had the chosen club been midlands based I have no doubt at all that its average attendences would have more than doubled by now...

okay... I know that merchandise will be higher in the first 18 months but there are only so many shirts scarves and caps that fans can and will buy before it dries up....and yes the trophy win was a bonus financially but will that happen again next season?...hopefully...maybe... but likely not I'm afraid to say...

the whole thing always depended on that increased support or alternatively the only other hope was a continued rise in membership each year...that is also not going to happen...it will fall..(especially if PTT is dumped) not dramatically next february (fall over figure is 15k I believe) but certainly by a few thousand as the internet peeps who have no understanding of football as a sport and certainly NL football in general will spit their dummies out and move on to the next trendy 35 quid investment through their keyboard...'tis the way of these things in the gloomy world of IT trolls and junkies...

some of the ebbs supporters who tend to be heard on both forums are hardly helping matters either....its okay screaming about MyFc and their secrecy and elitism with regard to finances and merchandise sales et al but the same practices are being perpertrated by some of the louder ebbs fans so the divide continues and gets ever bigger (see fleet shop thread)...

a new CEO is being sought and likely candidates are being interviewed....the successful person needs to have major NL experience at conference level to steady the ship and the mutineering sailors within it...only such a person will be able to command the respect of all parties in the interest of ebbs....(a bit of a show me your medals syndrome) it is vital that this happens and should it not and a MyFc or ebbs applicant be appointed I fear the worst and the divide will continue to grow...

it is obvious from the twitchy nature and self defensive attitude of brooks and his close associates on the forums that they are still attempting to cherish and molycuddle their little baby....they should keep off the forum debates and restrict their posts to those of an informative nature for the members and fleet fans and stand back with an objective purely commercial viewpoint....this is a business with a multi million pound turnover and they have no place interfering with it at the sharp end....too many forum disagreements between members of the WT and the members and fleet fans for it to be healthy...

as for finances...well there was never enough money raised to really do the job properly and of course they had a limited time scale left before they had to call it a day so ebbs was the chosen one at the last knockings so to speak....can't blame the old board who actually pulled a rabbit out of the hat to be honest as I doubt that ebbs would have lasted the season..(certainly not next) carrying losses of 30k a month...I also think that the 170k of DL's should not have been paid back first year and DD costs should have been spread over 2/3 years and that should have been a condition laid down to whoever carried out the DD although its likely that brooks got sucked into the pallsy wallsy world of DDL who were probably calling the shots and smelling a couple of hundred grand....the figures at ebbs are very similar to the figures at Hx when we were in the CS and I therefore know that the input from MyFc without a continued rise in memberships or substantial increase in bums on seats will inevitably lead to financial problems...

so many early mistakes and more as I type being compounded....I do not know what will happen to MyFc but I do think that whatever happens then ebbs will now be able to carry on as a result of the recent takeover and is better for MyFc involvement now and hopefully in the future....yeah there are a few short sighted buffoons around at MyFc but there are a few at ebbs as well and it would not be hard to curtail their activities publicly....in contrast there are many good decent hardworking people on both sides who are desperate for this to succeed (well it has to really doesn't it?)

what would I do....

immediately appoint a CEO from within NL with a playing and management background who has had no dealings with ebbs or MyFc... a strong motivated person who can understand how important it is for both parties to become one and who is bold enough and committed enough to make that happen quickly...a major energy kick is required also from that chosen person...remunerations should be secondary to getting the right person..

appoint an FD from outside of ebbs and MyFc with football club/league experience to remove the financial burdens from the new CEO..a partnership in effect...

immediately remove the major stumbling block of PTT and carry the consequences (if there were any which I doubt)

integrate the names of both parties into one....won't suggest how but it can be done...

integrate the names into a new badge for everyone.... keeping the tradional aspects of it but also carrying the MyFc concept logo...

merge the websites and the forums to one home page...ebbs can still have the old forum link on the home page alongside of the new ones and hopefully more MyFc members will use it...any sign of the current abuse or bullying on there (either site) then remove the posts immediately and if it doesn't stop remove the poster/s ...it is stopping MyFc members/ebbs fans from posting...

stop the nonsense with who can have what and who can buy what from where...even to the point of giving all current ebbs season ticket holders a one off free membership...they WILL renew in due course...all the monies from the FT go to club anyway so why create a problem over it which is what is happening...

rudderless ships hit rocks...!!

the whole concept has to be integrated and all become one for this to work...no ebbs... no MyFc ..just all one like minded people behind a football club...

I am glad I didn't apply for the job..grin

Uncs, what a great post and one which deserves to be seen somewhere rather nearer to the MyFC faithful. I agree with a lot of what you say - particularly about the forum merger. I would never have agreed with that before, but these last few weeks have changed my mind.

PTT will be an issue - the silence from the Operator is deafening at the moment, even though I suspect that if there was full PTT by members it would look very little different to Liam's choice. MyFC members need to "have a go" to see what happens. The reason most aren't bothering is that it hasn't actually been anything more than a one-sided paper exercise. Make it real for a game (even at first a friendly) and see what happens - then we know where we are. And if it is an unmitigated disaster - then those who do not want it will have a lot more clout.

Re. the appointment of senior officers - I agree we need a very particular skill set for the CEO position and don't know if that is around for the money that will be offered. Personally, I can't imagine ANYONE wanting to do it for

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
you are free to copy and paste it over there with my blessing dartsy..smile

I will! Thank you x

(I might miss out the bit about the flat in Fulham etc, members have come under pressure for posting that sort of personal stuff before ... grin)