Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today's Results (30/06)

Just my opinion, but our whole pre season last year involved the balls, (and will be the same this year), and we did no long distance running at all, in fact the longest straight run we did was 40 yards, which is about the max distance long run you will make in a game.

The sessions were very hard, but involved lots of 1 v1 's 2 v 2 's 3 v 3 's etc, various keep balls, core work with balls, i could go on and on, thing is as others have mentioned because their is a ball involved the lad work hard but enjoy it also.., we started last night and part of our warm up is just keeping the ball whilst moving round a grid, we then move into 5 lots of 4 v 1 scenario's where the 1 is chasing the ball, in reality 4 v 1 he should never get the ball, but for 30 seconds he is working his nuts off "and running" with the hope he will intercept etc....

The results we were one if not the fittest sides in our league last season, and this was backed up at the Ryman league awards talking to other managers who could not believe how fit our lads were...

Football has moved on a lot, from the days when i was doing cross country runs as an apprentice at Wycombe or a load of hill runs... i am not saying that is wrong, but it is not what we are set up to do, and it has done us no harm.

Majority of my training methods come from coaches i watch etc, including 2 of the 1st team coaches at Fulham, and the days of bleep tests etc in their mind are gone...

More Bollix from a Fake and sombody whio is still cutting his teeth at this level all decent players are fit not fat all decent players train properly and don't just want a ball so as they can hide in a corner. its as much about a fit mind as it is a body,so why train at all if you just want to chase after a ball ask any pro there is a sense of achievment to getting yourself in tip top condition why do they measure body fat content and go on nutricious diets to keep themselves in shape,pre season when it starts should be about hard work and stamina its not for the faint hearted so it will give you an indication as to who is up for it and can give you that extra yard and who is gonna kick a ball about on the sidelines with his mates cos he aint fit enough to give you that extra lung busting tackle or sprint 50 yards and score the winning goal,just do the training and feck all the excuses you kents.

Cutting his teeth at this level....well of course you would know Uncle Fester, but you have missed the point completely. This isn't professional football its CCL get real. go on nutricious diets..... what you mean kebab and kopparburg ;) !

From what I saw, even decent players watching them play didn't look fit during the season let alone pre-season, you live in cuckoo land and what, players don't just want the ball, ask them, players have even posted it on this thread. If you read my comments carefully, running is essentual for stamina and fitness, but you can also work just as hard, if not harder with a ball and its more technical and enjoyable, and what does that mean ? the players actually do more without realising it, instead of just boring running !

I'll ask you the question, who were the best teams in the CCL Premier last season, and who were the most skilful ?

No wonder our game is far behind the other European and Continental countries.

You wanna chase a ball about then go down Brighton beach theres loads of people down there doing it maybe we should sign them all up if thats all it takes to play football,how you gonna compete with fit men if all you've done is play piggy in the middle what a kent you are now feck off and irritate some other kent Thrush.

Go back and seek anger management Uncle Fester you almighty Mr. Motivator !

Go back and read my original post. It mentions nothing about chasing the ball infact, when you read it its completely the contrary. By working on ball skills during pre-season, that's control, pass and move sessions by the way, it will be handy that YOUR methods of run, run, run is ideal so those players who can keep chasing trying to get the ball....get you facts right Dunc the Uncle Fester.....ps: Forumites I apologise for Dunc the Unc's delightful language... go.see a doctor ;) !..

Don't apologise Thrush cos I aint sorry what you lot need is a good old fasioned murder run and a dip for 2 minutes in the ice tub I do it every morning at 5.30 so I aint preaching what I don't practice unlike some of you huh Mr Fake.

Don't sit on the fence Duncs. LOL. :D

Is it me or are we going soft as a nation I can't imagine saying to any of my coaches Please sir my legs are tired can't we just play 5 a side or piggy in the middle or kiss chase ha ha WTF has happened to us ?.

Soft ! You hit the nail on the head, it isn't about being soft, perhaps that's we win nothing as a nation...I can imagine what Vicente Del Bosque tells his Spanish players tho'..... ;) !!!

Just my opinion, but our whole pre season last year involved the balls, (and will be the same this year), and we did no long distance running at all, in fact the longest straight run we did was 40 yards, which is about the max distance long run you will make in a game.

The sessions were very hard, but involved lots of 1 v1 's 2 v 2 's 3 v 3 's etc, various keep balls, core work with balls, i could go on and on, thing is as others have mentioned because their is a ball involved the lad work hard but enjoy it also.., we started last night and part of our warm up is just keeping the ball whilst moving round a grid, we then move into 5 lots of 4 v 1 scenario's where the 1 is chasing the ball, in reality 4 v 1 he should never get the ball, but for 30 seconds he is working his nuts off "and running" with the hope he will intercept etc....

The results we were one if not the fittest sides in our league last season, and this was backed up at the Ryman league awards talking to other managers who could not believe how fit our lads were...

Football has moved on a lot, from the days when i was doing cross country runs as an apprentice at Wycombe or a load of hill runs... i am not saying that is wrong, but it is not what we are set up to do, and it has done us no harm.

Majority of my training methods come from coaches i watch etc, including 2 of the 1st team coaches at Fulham, and the days of bleep tests etc in their mind are gone...

Never have liked Godalming its to Conservative whats wrong with blood sweat and tears and who in thier right mind would even think about a bleep test,you better tell Micky Adams not to do anymore crosscountry runs on his new team then because when he was interviewed on Telly on monday his lads were all doing one

Is it me or are we going soft as a nation I can't imagine saying to any of my coaches Please sir my legs are tired can't we just play 5 a side or piggy in the middle or kiss chase ha ha WTF has happened to us ?.

Soft ! You hit the nail on the head, it isn't about being soft, perhaps that's we win nothing as a nation...I can imagine what Vicente Del Bosque tells his Spanish players tho'..... ;) !!!

Cuckoo Cuckoo what the feck are you talking about

Cuckoo Cuckoo what the feck are you talking about

Sums you up Dunc the Unc...think about it durrrr ... ;) !

EXACTLY Bakes! Someone on the same level ............ maybe to incorporate a couple of 12 mins runs for the first few pre-season sessions wouldn't go a-miss ....... ;) !

The Gloucester City and Forest Green Rovers players will be doing three hill runs at Hartpury this week - now, THAT is a tough training exercise!

That does not suprise me "Boris" always used to love a run!!!! Top lad though Dave Mehew, what i hate about football is everyone thinks their opinions are right, i am not saying doing everything with a ball is right and i am not saying that not doing long distance is right.... We do what we do because we believe in it, but others do their own thing because they believe in it... i personally don't think there is a right or wrong way!!! Each to their own, i guess how well you do ultimately depends on how good the players you have are, and how determined they are to be winners!!!

The post Neil said about 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 sessions is exactly what we do, and the last two sessions have been really tough. One 12 minute run is all we've done and I've never been so bored doing it. Much more enjoyable playing small sided 1, 2 touch games being played at a high tempo, what's wrong with a bleep test?

i was late for training tuesday an proceeded to do my own thing is it weird that i actually felt i got more out of training on my own than in a group answers on a postcard please ??!

Totally agree with Redders. The fittest teams in the league will be those that train to play football in the limited time they have. Game related fitness. short sharp stuff and stops and starts.

Doing long runs for general fitness when you only have a few hours a week together is no help. Most players at this level I would think have a good general level of fitness. If not tell them as individuals that they need to improve that area in their own time. That said everynow and then a player comes along that is too good to leave out. Dunc Ash have had a few of them over the years, Maccaba, Blason, Moore to name a few, none of them were unfit but they were not in the team for their work rate. I used to hate playing against Shane Small-King, short, fat and a horrific attitude but what a player.

Newby, I will be training alone for a few weeks yet as I feel exactly the same. I get more out of it in the early weeks.

Training on your own for a team sport don't make any sense whatsoever,I think again it is an opt out you would never really push yourself and be in competition with other players who might be fitter and make you work harder and longer,1 12 minute run is that all my mum could do that and she is 76 come on fellas wheres your pride I go for 10k runs 2 or 3 times a week and I don't play anymore,I always prided myself on my fitness probably why I was still playing CCL when I was 46.

I used to HATE doing running, when playing. I did swimming every day for two hours, plus I always ate healthily but running used to bore the heck out of me.

I always wanted the ball, and I did tend to switch off when I didn't have it in training. When I did have it, I was happier and I gained more positively from the training.

I don't believe in a 'one method fits all' method of training - sometimes you have to approach different players differently. Yes, you'll have the fitness buffs who'd run five miles for you and be happy to do so, but then there's players like me who prefer to have the ball and then work on set pieces/volleys/passing/positioning (not heading though - I had the heading ability of a dead fly!) Look at Matt Le Tissier - never the fittest player but the Southampton fans didn't mind when he scored goals like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJeN96-6fw

Duncs - you mention a 12 minute run but don't say what distance is covered in that time and a 10k run but not what time is taken to do complete it.

If you are self-disciplined then training as an individual to develop your core and specific fitness can work. Three things to note are time, speed and distance, and the type of training that encompasses those elements is called Fartlek. This allows you to run whatever distance and speed you wish, varying the intensity, and occasionally running at high intensity levels for varying durations.

The majority of posters here have recognised that game specific training, ideally including the ball to practise technique too, can successfully prepare players for the season to come and, to me, is an adaptation of Fartlek training.

Edited by Gluck_ab

Duncs - you mention a 12 minute run but don't say what distance is covered in that time and a 10k run but not what time is taken to do complete it.

If you are self-disciplined then training as an individual to develop your core and specific fitness can work. Three things to note are time, speed and distance, and the type of training that encompasses those elements is called Fartlek. This allows you to run whatever distance and speed you wish, varying the intensity, and occasionally running at high intensity levels for varying durations.

The majority of posters here have recognised that game specific training, ideally including the ball to practise technique too, can successfully prepare players for the season to come and, to me, is an adaptation of Fartlek training.

(Puts on a Brian Blessed type voice:)

'FARTLEK?! SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE BEEN OVERDOING THE BAKED BEANS DEAR BOY!'