Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ryman Relegation?

The sense of injustice comes when a team like Corinthian-Casuals can be reprieved three or for years and the one year we're deemed bottom (although Croydon Athletic finished with zero points) we have to go down.

I'm not arguing that we didn't deserve to go down and whoever finishes bottom should always go down.

But then you were giving the choice of which league you thought was easiest to get out of ;)

I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with a reprieve structure.

What you have to bear in mind is that the clubs up there have already earned the right to be there, and who's to say that some team that was second or third in a step five league would have done any better?

Let's use Cove as an example, seeing as they look like they'll be third this year. Should they be moved up ahead of Walton Casuals, a team that were former CCL Champions and have survived at step four for a few seasons now? Would Cove, a regularly midtable step five side that haven't been at the business end of the table for years have done any better than Walton did? I would say probably not. It's tough up there, and even teams that flew through this league like Chipstead and Merstham are purely surviving at that level (too early to make a judgement on Chertsey or Guildford).

if you finish in a relegation spot then you deserve to go down and shouldn't get or rely on a reprieve. Surely the whole point of the pymarid is that teams go up and down every season? Surely getting new teams either through promotion or relegation keeps things interesting and freshens up the leagues. New places to visit etc.

This is coming from someone whose own local League only has seven teams and therefore there is no such thing!

Edited by HKP

if you finish in a relegation spot then you deserve to go down and shouldn't get or rely on a reprieve. Surely the whole point of the pymarid is that teams go up and down every season? Surely getting new teams either through promotion or relegation keeps things interesting and freshens up the leagues. New places to visit etc.

This is coming from someone whose own local League only has seven teams and therefore there is no such thing!

What you need to consider HKP is how you deal with gaps at levels 1-4 caused by teams folding or taking voluntary relegation. There are numerous examples each season. You have to plug those gaps or those divisions will just whittle away over time. Normally such gaps are filled by reprievals. Reprievals don't affect teams that would be promoted under whatever rules are in place - they just affect teams that could be relegated.

Fair point, maybe just promote more, lol :)

Edited by HKP

Fair point, maybe just promote more, lol :)

And that highlights the next issue - of the current 42 "potential" promotees from Step 5 this season (top 3 from each of 14 leagues) 21 Clubs either don't want to be promoted, or don't have the grading for promotion. Add to that the issue that Lazarus highlighted with this League - there are few if any Clubs with gradings necessary to fill gaps at Step 6 created should extra Clubs be promoted to fill gaps further up the pyramid. 

And that highlights the next issue - of the current 42 "potential" promotees from Step 5 this season (top 3 from each of 14 leagues) 21 Clubs either don't want to be promoted, or don't have the grading for promotion. Add to that the issue that Lazarus highlighted with this League - there are few if any Clubs with gradings necessary to fill gaps at Step 6 created should extra Clubs be promoted to fill gaps further up the pyramid. 

that last bit is rubbish though GF.  So they shouldnt consider promoting another side because they dont have enough teams to fill a league below. 

that last bit is rubbish though GF.  So they shouldnt consider promoting another side because they dont have enough teams to fill a league below. 

Perhaps it didn't come across as I intended Krooner. Any team able & willing to be promoted under the rules should be, and to my knowledge always have been. HKP was suggesting "extra" promotees outside of the rules and my point was to highlight that once you go that route there is potential to decimate the lower levels.

When I am elected onto the FA Board I promise to push for a change.

Oh my god,have heard it all now,the powers that be would eat you up,and spit you out for breakfast.You have to have a backbone to stand up to the Suits,and follow through what you believe,you would do neither.

Thank Gawd the cricket season has started.

I see Surrey CC are sh1t yet again !!

Perhaps it didn't come across as I intended Krooner. Any team able & willing to be promoted under the rules should be, and to my knowledge always have been. HKP was suggesting "extra" promotees outside of the rules and my point was to highlight that once you go that route there is potential to decimate the lower levels.

Lower levels are already decimated - not just in our area. There's a shortage of clubs at step 6 around the country. The main cause of this is that their have been loads of clubs pushed higher up the pyramid by creating Conference north and south and having six divisions at step 4. The addition of more clubs from next season at steps 3 and 4 isn't helping matters.

In the past few years the step 5 leagues have been merrily promoting their clubs and getting hardly any back down in return. To keep their numbers up they've had to ruin step 6 by promoting clubs but not relegating the full complement from step 5.

Unfortunately step 6 has a big wall stopping it from recruiting as that's when enclosed grounds, floodlights and all the other stuff become necessary which means step 7 clubs aren't filling the spaces.

At lower levels teams are folding like nobody's business. If you look at the Surrey Elite and lower leagues in this area there are quite a few games where teams have been unable to field a side recently. The top division of the Surrey South Eastern Combination is down to nine teams following the recent resignation of Real Holmesdale (their last two games were awarded to the opposition so they still feature in the table).

The Surrey County Intermediate (Western) is taking clubs from outside the promotion positions in the Guildford & Woking Alliance to keep its numbers up - everything is just filtering down.

Edited by VPCTFC

But then you were giving the choice of which league you thought was easiest to get out of ;)

Loving the cut of your jib Kroons! :D

Ken Reed at Cobham reckons we are having an affair btw! :ph34r:

Oh my god,have heard it all now,the powers that be would eat you up,and spit you out for breakfast.You have to have a backbone to stand up to the Suits,and follow through what you believe,you would do neither.

My post was a joke...

Thank Gawd the cricket season has started.

I see Surrey CC are sh1t yet again !!

They seem to get the best part of a page in the local Advertiser, with club quotes, player quotes and 'tweets'

I know the season has only just started, but it been what I'd call a good start for them.

Edited by Big J R