Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ryman Relegation?

Can't see why Sandhurst would prefer the Hellenic League personally. Isn't the Wessex League a better fit? Can someone with a better geographical knowledge of the area confirm? With so many local CCL clubs in their area though, it sounds like a rumour that would actually be commercial suicide.

As for the Royston rumour, surely no decisions could possibly be made on the construction of the top four steps until all the qualifying teams are known? The only issues that might be known in advance are whether a club is to take voluntary demotion like Sholing.

As for Guernsey, technically the FA could ask them to use any airport, but the logistics of this season would surely convince the powers that be to remain with them as a Gatwick based club. Less available flights would be a nightmare for them.

This means Ryman 1 South all day long assuming they do achieve promotion, as looks likely at this stage.

Bad guy, thank you for classing me in the same category as GF and VPCTFC. A great honour to wear the same anorak! I don't know the answer to your question though, but the final Southern League tables are obtainable on the web so I'm sure someone could confirm.

Hellenic would be more suited, Wokingham, Ascot, Binfield, Bracknell all near by in the hellenic set up. Also Wokingham and Emmbrook have dropped out of the premier divison so would be good for Sandhurst to pick up some of thier players as Wokingham is only 5 miles down the road!

Easter has come and gone, (which is more than can be said of the poxy winter), and the Rumour-Season is off and running !

Interesting posts from Tony's NLF

"Fleet Spurs will be applying to transfer over to the Combined Counties. It was mentioned in an article in the Farnborough News. It's all part of an attempt to develop the club. They also have one of those development grants and plan to redevelop their existing changing rooms to include a boardroom, etc."

and

"There is a rumour starting in Hellenic circles that Highmoor IBIS are looking at trying to transfer to the CoCo, I was told on Monday and someone has "rumoured" it on the Hellenic League chatsite. This has been one of my fears for the Hellenic if the CoCo did start using the Thames Valley clubs to increase their numbers the Hellenic would be up the creek.

There is also the annual rumour that Rayners Lane are wanting to go to the CoCo or the SML.

Though as I said in "where did you go" there is also a rumour that Sandhurst and Holmer Green may be offered a step 5 lifeline in the Hellenic if they finish in relegation places this season, on the basis (I think) of them being B&B clubs.

I thought I was being paranoid about the Hellenic being left with just Oxford and Swindon area within 3 or so years, but I understand I am not the only one thinking this and questions are starting to be asked. In fact a couple of people have said only the Oxfordshire and "North Berks" clubs plus Highworth, Shrivenham and Fairford if they come back up could not placed in another league without increased travelling, not sure about Wootton Bassett. I said to one of the people Thame would not really lose out if they were in the SML as they have been there before and they would have as many if not more local games in the SML as they do in the Hellenic. As an aside a number of the Junior clubs in that area of Oxford have certainly moved from Oxfordshire football to Bucks football in recent seasons - Great Milton, Tetsworth, Thame Town (now folded) plus the likes of Haddenham who have played in both but are currently Bucks and even last season Long Crendon looked at moving.

We really need facts not rumours but many are worried that the Hellenic will be very short of numbers next season even with just one division 1. Also no one knows of any step 7 clubs that have applied to the Hellenic"

and

"Due to the Combined Counties possibly promoting two this season, probably getting none in return again and only one possibly coming up from step 7 the league have admitted they were going to invite a couple of reserve sides from the Suburban League into Division One to bolster up the numbers. They asked the Division One club's opinions on this but I don't know the outcome. The latest mentioned on another forum said it was three against, two in favour and no reply from the rest. With that in mind, I'm sure the CCL will welcome teams from the Hellenic and other leagues, especially at step 6 which is where the problem is.

P.S. - no one need mention their opinion that 16 or 18 or whatever should be enough for step 6. It's not what the clubs want and it's not what the league wants and their opinions are the only ones that matter."

I really hope that the Hellenic stays as two divisions at Step 6.

* NON CCL BIT:

Lydney Town v Henley Town midweek? No way! I think Lydney would rather take a step back into the GCL if that happened.

Tuffley Rovers are said to have applied to the Hellenic as well as the Western.

* CCL BIT:

Unofficially heard that Leatherhead Reserves MIGHT be one of those teams coming in at CCL1 as I know for a fact that they are looking to leave the Suburban League. They take on players from a certain outfit ;) so that's how I know.

Bad guy, thank you for classing me in the same category as GF and VPCTFC. A great honour to wear the same anorak! I don't know the answer to your question though, but the final Southern League tables are obtainable on the web so I'm sure someone could confirm.

Pah! You're anorak-in-chief. Myself and GF just know where to look on the internet. Your info is kept in your head.

Yeah, Molders was the first person to mention Sandhurst going to the Hellenic that I'm aware of. It is just a rumour he heard at a Hellenic ground on Monday. If it happens then good luck to them but I don't think the FA would allow a team to avoid relegation that way.

The other ones, like Guernsey being put into the Southern League, are things that people said online months ago, sometimes having a laugh, that mutate into 'I've heard' at football grounds and then find their way back on forums again.

What everyone has to remember is that the FA Leagues Committee ultimately decide all promotions, relegations and sideways moves down to step 6 and, in some cases, step 7. They don't even have their first meeting until May when the season has finished. These are the people on that committee - I doubt they've all been in the same room at the same time for months so there's no way there could be a leak before May.

Peter Bentley

Keith Brown

Keith Compton

Mark Frost

Roger Howlett

Mervyn Leggett

Ray Lewis

Nick Robinson

Andy Shaw

Ken Turner

Brian Walden ©

John Ward (VC)

Hellenic would be more suited, Wokingham, Ascot, Binfield, Bracknell all near by in the hellenic set up. Also Wokingham and Emmbrook have dropped out of the premier divison so would be good for Sandhurst to pick up some of thier players as Wokingham is only 5 miles down the road!

Is this a way of trying to avoid relegation?

I thought the FA decided on transfers rather than leagues?

The Hellenic league is so widespread with trips to Oxford and beyond I wouldnt think a good fit.

Maybe O/T, but how many reserve sides are we talking about and also what would become of the non floodlight sides currently in Step 6?

I believe there was a mention on the Hellenic Forum about a possible league being set up for non-floodlight CCL1 and Hellenic 1 East sides.

I agree with the mockery NLN but it is possible that Div 1 will lose the top 3 clubs and have very little in way of replacements. What happens then. the league have to ensure the Division is viable.

Relegate 3 sides from the prem and bring it down to 20 teams

Again I agree but will the league do that ? I am not sure they will.

I think 20 teams is enough for a Step 5 division.

• 4 weeks later...

And not just because of my GFC connection, has to be better to promote more than reprieve more.. Reward success.

And not just because of my GFC connection, has to be better to promote more than reprieve more.. Reward success.

You're up against some FA bias there HKP - here's how their Rep responded when asked the question why in England we reprieve rather than promote extra:

Question: “Two years ago, of the five teams reprieved at Step 4, four got relegated last season – do you not just prolong the agony? You have other clubs who have just spent the whole season buoyant, so why shouldn’t they be given the chance? I can see the benefit of that.

Answer: “But the rules always help the teams at a higher level and the leagues were happy to offer it that way. We can’t just amend the rules, the clubs need to come forward.”

The sense of injustice comes when a team like Corinthian-Casuals can be reprieved three or for years and the one year we're deemed bottom (although Croydon Athletic finished with zero points) we have to go down.

I'm not arguing that we didn't deserve to go down and whoever finishes bottom should always go down.

You're up against some FA bias there HKP - here's how their Rep responded when asked the question why in England we reprieve rather than promote extra:

Question: “Two years ago, of the five teams reprieved at Step 4, four got relegated last season – do you not just prolong the agony? You have other clubs who have just spent the whole season buoyant, so why shouldn’t they be given the chance? I can see the benefit of that.

Answer: “But the rules always help the teams at a higher level and the leagues were happy to offer it that way. We can’t just amend the rules, the clubs need to come forward.”

When I am elected onto the FA Board I promise to push for a change.