Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

RIP Margaret Thatcher

There's no doubt that society has changed and in some respects not for the better - families are now more split and we have become more materialistic. Not sure I can blame Thatcher for that, although I didn't agree with a lot of her government's policies.

Being a materialistic society wouldn't be quite so bad if the material things we desire are made in Britain and supporting a largely British workforce. Unfortunately Thatcher destroyed our manufacturing base and almost everything we buy comes from abroad.

She stood by the ethos that the harder you work the more you achieved, and that no matter what social circle you were born in, if you worked hard you could achieve.

Shame more people don't think like that, the country would be in a much better place.

R.I.P

She stood by the ethos that the harder you work the more you achieved, and that no matter what social circle you were born in, if you worked hard you could achieve.

Shame more people don't think like that, the country would be in a much better place.

R.I.P

Problem is Ian, she denied so many people the chance to work harder by destroying the industries in which they worked in.

I do remember the UK before MT came in. My first reaction when she won was "now we're [****!!****]ed" and nothing she did made me feel different. I have been a trade unionist and never encountered homophobia in the movement. I have been "out" for over half of my 53 years. I was in the Navy (I wasn't "out" then) when the Falklands were invaded and was serving on HMS Charybdis on patrol round the islands (round and round and round - god it was dull) and on the two occasions we were allowed ashore the locals were not that pleased to see us. They wanted to be left alone. Thatcher's list of heinous crimes against this country and its citizenry are now being matched by the current regime. Thank you for taking part in my little game of seeing what happens when I throw a metaphorical pebble in an equally metaphorical pond. If you think Thatcher was the best thing since sliced bread then I feel sorry for you. To those who realise how evil she was I say save us a place in the queue for the dance. Goodnight.

I do remember the UK before MT came in. My first reaction when she won was "now we're [****!!****]ed" and nothing she did made me feel different. I have been a trade unionist and never encountered homophobia in the movement. I have been "out" for over half of my 53 years. I was in the Navy (I wasn't "out" then) when the Falklands were invaded and was serving on HMS Charybdis on patrol round the islands (round and round and round - god it was dull) and on the two occasions we were allowed ashore the locals were not that pleased to see us. They wanted to be left alone. Thatcher's list of heinous crimes against this country and its citizenry are now being matched by the current regime. Thank you for taking part in my little game of seeing what happens when I throw a metaphorical pebble in an equally metaphorical pond. If you think Thatcher was the best thing since sliced bread then I feel sorry for you. To those who realise how evil she was I say save us a place in the queue for the dance. Goodnight.

Mate,you've been listening to that prick Peter Tatchell for far too long,another left wing loony who uses gender and sexuality to his benefit when it suits him.Lets face it ,it was hardly easy being homosexual in the 40's,50's,60's,70's etc but each decade it got easier,by the 80's yes it still wasn't the norm but wasn't really frowned upon, a decade later,the enevitable happened,surprise surprise modern culture seemed to accept it,nothing to do with new labour although you would of thought it was,it was natural progression.Thatcher and her party were no more homophobe than the administration before her

Edited by Eastside Urchin

One more thing.

Why on earth in a discussion on a forum,do I have to know what your sexuality is???

Why should I,or do I care ???

I don't.

Should I look up at you or down at you because of your sexuality ,you decide because before you told me I just assumed that your sexuality was insignificant,it was and is never an issue with me but for some reason you deem it relevant to all this but why,I don't know???

Perhaps you just want that little bit of exposure that you are "different"???? Some people just like to feel different after all don't they ???

It is sad that some people threaten others with their sexuality or their skin colour or because they are in the forces or even in a trade union.

Such actions just highlights what a shallow person they really are.

Such threats should be illegal.

If I do not wish to mix with blacks, whites, gays, straight, soldiers, trade union reps or anyone else, that is my right. I will choose not to mix with them because of the way they treat me, may family and others and not because of any other fact.

Im not a big fan of any politician would any of them do it for a basic wage and a rented house do any of them really care.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/argentina-welc ... ml#b995OHN

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/margaret-thatc ... ml#M5ZaI71

It is sad that some people threaten others with their sexuality or their skin colour or because they are in the forces or even in a trade union.

Such actions just highlights what a shallow person they really are.

Such threats should be illegal.

If I do not wish to mix with blacks, whites, gays, straight, soldiers, trade union reps or anyone else, that is my right. I will choose not to mix with them because of the way they treat me, may family and others and not because of any other fact.

How on earth can anyone threaten others because of their colour or sexuality if they are members of a trade union, or do you just believe its acceptable that non white or gay people can be verbally or physically abused because they dont fit into your idea of what an ideal person should be.

How on earth can anyone threaten others because of their colour or sexuality if they are members of a trade union, or do you just believe its acceptable that non white or gay people can be verbally or physically abused because they dont fit into your idea of what an ideal person should be.

What a ridiculous statement Alan.everyone knows that if you go against a trade union they will go to any lengths to ruin your life,scum the lot of them.

Eastside does have a point - the tragic story of David Wilkie is proof of this.

However, I am sure that not ALL Union people are/were absolutely terrible.

Thatcher was a failure why on earth would anyone remember her except the Tory Dinosaurs.

Churchill would have despised the woman

Look at your utility bills paying through the nose thanks to Thatcher

She gave Galtieiri a shoeing and cosied up to Pinochet.

She was weak in the face of handing back HongKong to the Chinese.

She supported the Dockers in Poland while she created mass unemployment for the thousands of dockers in this country

she destroyed manufacturing industry by lifting import restrictionsand then allowed foreign companies to takeover

We now own not a single major manufacturing industry not even a single premier league club

She sold this country down the river to foreign powers all in the name of Rule Brittania

What a fraud

Aren't Stoke, Wigan, Swansea, West Ham and a few others owned by British people? :s

What a ridiculous statement Alan.everyone knows that if you go against a trade union they will go to any lengths to ruin your life,scum the lot of them.

That must be the most ridiculous post ever made on this forum.

If it wasn't for the trade union movement there would be no minimum wage, equal pay for woman, company pensions, sick pay, paid holidays, health and safety regulations, collective bargaining,and until working class people with brains the size of a gnat were stupid enough to buy into Thatcherism we mostly enjoyed better job security and an affordable council house for those unable to afford to buy.

Its a crying shame that people like you enjoy at least some of the benefits that generations of trade unionists fought for, and if you want to see what real scum looks like I suggest you look in a mirror.

Edited by missunderstood