Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

In an Ideal World.

Smudge

With all the love around on this Forum,and similarly it seems between all CCL Clubs at this current time.Would it not be nice if all Clubs,bar those in the Premier involved in a Relegation battle,took their foot off the Gas a little,when playing Egham and Guernsey.Would be nice to grab 2 Promotion spots,now that the opportunity arises,with the added bonus,that neither will be contenders next year.Likewise in Div 1,a great opportunity for 2 Clubs to get promoted,who have the ground grading,could be stopped by 3 Teams who cannot because they do not have the grading,at this current time.SPREAD THE LOVE,you know it makes sense.

Sorry Smudge, not very often I disagree with you on here, but this post I do.

I know what you’re saying about it’ll look good for 2 teams to go up from the Prem up to step 4 etc but basically asking teams to not put in effort so that they can both go up is not something I thought I’d ever read from you. Surely both clubs would want to get promoted because they deserve it rather than other players let them win.

Also as a player that has to play both teams still in the next few weeks, I will never turn up to any game to lose or take the foot off the gas. I play to win and want to win every game I play in. Personally I could never turn up to almost throw the match. I play because I love the game and love waking up on match days. I’d also give up football if I ever turned up to a match and the gaffer says, ‘Take it easy today boys, they need to win to go up’ or something of the like. I’d want to test myself against the better teams and as, rightly so, both teams will be fighting for promotion, they are the better sides. More passion for me in the bigger games.

As much respect as I have for both clubs, I will not personally be turning up to be beaten.

Also as much respect as I have for you Smudge, I am a bit disappointed by this post.

Reminds me of a recent game of mine (different league). 2nd v (somewhere near the bottom). Final game of the season, although it was technically a LEAGUE DECIDER: If the 2nd placed team won, they would win the league!

However, they needed to win by a margin of 30 or so goals.

A few jokey comments were made about whether the lower-placed side might let in that many goals for a bit of a laugh, and the team in 1st place had a few people present to watch, perhaps with that in mind!

In the end, it was a standard game of football, but it did make me wonder what would have happened if all the defenders 'accidentally' fell off and let the ball through again, and again, and again, and again....

Reminds me of a recent game of mine (different league). 2nd v (somewhere near the bottom). Final game of the season, although it was technically a LEAGUE DECIDER: If the 2nd placed team won, they would win the league!

However, they needed to win by a margin of 30 or so goals.

A few jokey comments were made about whether the lower-placed side might let in that many goals for a bit of a laugh, and the team in 1st place had a few people present to watch, perhaps with that in mind!

In the end, it was a standard game of football, but it did make me wonder what would have happened if all the defenders 'accidentally' fell off and let the ball through again, and again, and again, and again....

Sunday league game by any chance lol

So, what would you have done if the lower placed team had rolled over and started letting in goals in an obvious way???

Sunday league game by any chance lol

So, what would you have done if the lower placed team had rolled over and started letting in goals in an obvious way???

That's a really good question, and I raised this at my Referee Society. Ultimately, the referee can only report it to the league and let them pick the bones out of it. I think if I made it clear to the players that if they did throw it obviously (let's face it, 30+ goals is hard to fake convincingly) it was going to be reported, they'd probably just crack on and actually play.

That's a really good question, and I raised this at my Referee Society. Ultimately, the referee can only report it to the league and let them pick the bones out of it. I think if I made it clear to the players that if they did throw it obviously (let's face it, 30+ goals is hard to fake convincingly) it was going to be reported, they'd probably just crack on and actually play.

Would be funny to watch though ha ha

Would be funny to watch though ha ha

Not if you'd paid a lot of hard earned money to get in !

In an ideal world?

Sounds like an 80s song ;)

Edited by The Mayor Of Simpleton

The Christians I believe!

On the subject of fixed matches, back in 1986/87 Isthmian League Division One South we had played our final match of the season and were one place above relegation but ironically were already relegated as Walton & Hersham and Oxford City still had a game to play against each other and they were both a point below us with a better goal difference. One or other of them were always going to finish above us, but any loser of that match would also go down.

Needless to say, they drew 0-0 in a chanceless encounter, which sent Tilbury down too! Luckily more leagues all finish on the same day than they used to back then.

Just goes to show you can get colluded results if you look hard enough and they're not always as obvious as a 30-0 requirement.

Match fixing/collusion is sport ???? Surely Not.

Hang on a minute - Professional cricket is now more bent than a cork-screw thanks to betting

And don't even get me started on professional boxing !!

Edited by Big J R

what is going to happen at the End of this Season i think we Egham should play at the same time as Guernsey i think they have got 2 games left after we finish. Would you think this gives them a advantage?

Sorry Smudge, not very often I disagree with you on here, but this post I do.

I know what you’re saying about it’ll look good for 2 teams to go up from the Prem up to step 4 etc but basically asking teams to not put in effort so that they can both go up is not something I thought I’d ever read from you. Surely both clubs would want to get promoted because they deserve it rather than other players let them win.

Also as a player that has to play both teams still in the next few weeks, I will never turn up to any game to lose or take the foot off the gas. I play to win and want to win every game I play in. Personally I could never turn up to almost throw the match. I play because I love the game and love waking up on match days. I’d also give up football if I ever turned up to a match and the gaffer says, ‘Take it easy today boys, they need to win to go up’ or something of the like. I’d want to test myself against the better teams and as, rightly so, both teams will be fighting for promotion, they are the better sides. More passion for me in the bigger games.

As much respect as I have for both clubs, I will not personally be turning up to be beaten.

Also as much respect as I have for you Smudge, I am a bit disappointed by this post.

Adam great post,but Just imagine last game of Season,nothing to play for your playing Hanworth Villa,if you beat them they are relegated,and by beating them you save Sandhurst.So next season instead of a local derby,decent crowd,you have to travel into the wilds of Hampshire on a January freezing night,what sense does that make? Anyway no one ever takes any notice of my posts,in fact they always seem to do the opposite,Hanworth Villa being a prime example last night,LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!, its called reverse Physcology.As no Club loves any other Club,more than themselves,except maybe Badshot Lea and Ash.Just hope Croydon give Colliers Wood a helping hand this Thursday,in their Relegation battle,as at least they will only have to travel 9 miles for that game next season,a local derby.

Edited by Smudge

Adam great post,but Just imagine last game of Season,nothing to play for your playing Hanworth Villa,if you beat them they are relegated,and by beating them you save Sandhurst.So next season instead of a local derby,decent crowd,you have to travel into the wilds of Hampshire on a January freezing night,what sense does that make? Anyway no one ever takes any notice of my posts,in fact they always seem to do the opposite,Hanworth Villa being a prime example last night,LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!, its called reverse Physcology.As no Club loves any other Club,more than themselves,except maybe Badshot Lea and Ash.Just hope Croydon give Colliers Wood a helping hand this Thursday,in their Relegation battle,as at least they will only have to travel 9 miles for that game next season,a local derby.

Nonsense post Smudge. Sandhurst is in Berkshire. ;)