Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

An Interesting Conversation

Eastside Urchin

Just picked up a family from a Restaurant in Shenfield earlier this evening and got Talking about Footy to the father,who is a Dagenham Fan but more importantly works for London Borough of Havering.

I was talking to him about the Hornchurch v Dagenham cup game when he said the strangest thing "could be the last Hornchurch v Dagenham" game at the Bridge.Obviously this didn't sound good,so when I asked him if the council were thinking of selling the stadium,he said yes but only if a suitable ground for all THREE parties could be found?

He then remarked that they had been talking about this for some time but wouldn't elaborate any further apart from the 3 parties were us,the athletics club and another local football club.

Edited by Eastside Urchin

and would this so called Havering Council be willing to pay for a brand new stadium just for Hornchurch if this ground share with three clubs doesn't go ahead.......Of course not, IMO!

Of course there has been recent interview in local paper about Romford FC being brought into the equation, where it didn't work before and the Athletics Club never puts their hand in their pockets to help with bills etc of a stadium that is shared....

Just picked up a family from a Restaurant in Shenfield earlier this evening and got Talking about Footy to the father,who is a Dagenham Fan but more importantly works for London Borough of Havering.

I was talking to him about the Hornchurch v Dagenham cup game when he said the strangest thing "could be the last Hornchurch v Dagenham" game at the Bridge.Obviously this didn't sound good,so when I asked him if the council were thinking of selling the stadium,he said yes but only if a suitable ground for all THREE parties could be found?

He then remarked that they had been talking about this for some time but wouldn't elaborate any further apart from the 3 parties were us,the athletics club and another local football club.

and would this so called Havering Council be willing to pay for a brand new stadium just for Hornchurch if this ground share with three clubs doesn't go ahead.......Of course not, IMO!

Of course there has been recent interview in local paper about Romford FC being brought into the equation, where it didn't work before and the Athletics Club never puts their hand in their pockets to help with bills etc of a stadium that is shared....

Would it really be that bad Rob. A new stadium would benefit everyone concerned surely.

As I have said before,no,it would be fine.

I just don't think Bridge Avenue could possibly have two football teams playing there,which is the main reason I have always been against it

Absolutely agree. No disrespect intended but Bridge Avenue is not fit for purpose for any club with conference ambitions, and a self funded new stadium would be the perfect solution for everyone,

Obviously, this is just speculation at the moment until we have any solid facts to go on. Quite interesting though.

It could work however I have a number of questions.

Can you have three clubs playing in the same stadium? If we do then would there be a consideration for a 3G pitch? - Maybe Maidstone FC could advise on that one. Enfield seemed to have worked options with sharing both an athletics and football pitch combined that seemed to work well, so could we have a look at their setup?

Location an issue as well. Apart from Tom's suggestion where could it go?

Would there still be fans from Romford who think they should get preferential treatment or would everyone accept what is best for both clubs on this? Some old rivalries on both sides may need to be put aside for the greater good.

What would Colin's position be on this? That would be a really important consideration.

SAVE THE BRIDGE STADIUM !!!

I do not trust Havering Council. If they have money to spend why don't they just upgrade the existing facilities.

They would no doubt love to develop Bridge Avenue into a housing estate out of greed but can not see them spending any / enough funds on suitable new facilities for the long term. They are not going to provide a prime location if any at all. Beware of local politicians making promises.  

Obviously, this is just speculation at the moment until we have any solid facts to go on. Quite interesting though.

It could work however I have a number of questions.

Can you have three clubs playing in the same stadium? If we do then would there be a consideration for a 3G pitch? - Maybe Maidstone FC could advise on that one. Enfield seemed to have worked options with sharing both an athletics and football pitch combined that seemed to work well, so could we have a look at their setup?

Location an issue as well. Apart from Tom's suggestion where could it go?

Would there still be fans from Romford who think they should get preferential treatment or would everyone accept what is best for both clubs on this? Some old rivalries on both sides may need to be put aside for the greater good.

What would Colin's position be on this? That would be a really important consideration.

As there's already planning consent for a stadium at Westlands I would imagine the LBH may well be thinking of that for a possible site. My own preference though would be for a purpose build football stadium to be built at Brettons Farm, with an athletics facility next to it, just like  they have at Barking. 

It would take millions to upgrade Bridge Avenue to a decent standard, and the council would certainly have objections from local residents, who for obvious reasons wouldn't want a larger stadium attracting much bigger gates on their doorsteps. Selling the tired old ground for housing is the only way to get decent sports facilities in Havering IMO.  

With the ever decreasing crowds we get I cant see Havering Council spending anywhere near enough money for the facilities mentioned above. No votes in it for them they would just pocket the money made from the sale of the site and provide empty promises and we would end up with the bare minimum if anything at all in the long run. IMO

With the ever decreasing crowds we get I cant see Havering Council spending anywhere near enough money for the facilities mentioned above. No votes in it for them they would just pocket the money made from the sale of the site and provide empty promises and we would end up with the bare minimum if anything at all in the long run. IMO

To be fair to the council they genuinely try to do their best for sport in the borough, but unfortunately in these financially challenging times its not easy.  Their idea of releasing land previously used to house the ice skating rink, to fund an improved facility and a new swimming pool in Western Road  are good examples of prudent financial management that benefits sport for generations to come IMO. 

I think there is a concern here - Romford have been without a permanent home for some time now and if we lose Bridge Avenue then there will be pressure on Havering Council to use the additional revenue elsewhere and we could end up being the same.

I'm not saying that it will go down like that and I'm sure that Havering council do care about sport in the borough, but as you have already alluded to, times are tough.

I think there is a concern here - Romford have been without a permanent home for some time now and if we lose Bridge Avenue then there will be pressure on Havering Council to use the additional revenue elsewhere and we could end up being the same.

I'm not saying that it will go down like that and I'm sure that Havering council do care about sport in the borough, but as you have already alluded to, times are tough.

To be fair Simon, a large proportion of the costs of a new stadium would come from outside funding, and as land prices are now rising again the council would certainly build first, and then sell Bridge Avenue. My big concern would be that the council has a tendency not to listen to the people that use the facilities they build, and if this project ever materialises its of the upmost importance for both clubs to work in partnership with the LBH to make sure they get it right. 

Wish you'd never picked up this fare Rob but if there is something occurring gurss it's best we were aware of it sooner than later.

But another thing to spoil the new year celebrations

i thought that it was stated in one of our match day programmes that the council had signed us a lease / renewed that would carry on for a good couple of years to come?

All this has cropped up due to the Romford manager mentioning it to the local Romford Recorder.

Until there is actual hand on heart news from Hornchurch, then I will, imo, presume that this is all a load of s**t stiring!