Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New season predictions

Well somebody had to start this thread sooner or later...

With London Colney falling apart, Hertford going up and a lot of upheaval at Cockfosters, we seem to have lost our top 3.

Was all very close behind them last season.

If Hoddesdon can keep their team together, they should do well. Wether they have or can resolve the ground issue of last year is another matter.

Welwyn seem to be building a Spartan All Star team. If the players buy into it and play for the club, rather than their modest travel expenses, they should do well.

Berko will surely mount their perennial challenge and seem to be setting themselves up for it nicely off the pitch at least.

Despite Wembley and Tring leading the chasing pack last season, I'm not particularly convinced by either.

Wembley were fantastic on a good day, but went off the back of a win at Welwyn to home losses to Edgware and Hadley to beating London Colney away.

Biggleswade could finally start to live up to all of the off the pitch hype.

Can see Edgware and Leighton making big improvements on last season.

Could well be the most open season in a long time.

Sorry for rambling. I'll make actual predictions when some dust starts settling.

I think Leighton town will do a lot better this season, as they have consistentcy now on the field with keeping the same manger something that hasn't happened in a while. I think most of the team will stay and they will just add to it.

Edited by Leighton Hatter

The problem with Biggleswade is they rely on their coaching ability and don't bring in experienced players which personally I think you need to do well in the Prem. Also they require players to train 2-3 times a week which is a lot for more experienced players, especially when they are not picking up any money and other clubs are paying it out! 

Welwyn Garden City are obvious favourites. However, over inflated egos, arrogance and keeping all the big time Charlie's happy will be their downfall. Wembley will strengthen and learn valuable lessons from last season. Tring Athletic will be the dark horses. Good manager, and if they can recruit two or three stronger players and keep hold of what they had, they have a chance. Colney Heath will also be challenging, Ryan Thompson knows the league well and his sides are never easy to lay against.

1) Tring Athletic

2) Colney Heath

3) Wembley   

Rumour has it, London Tigers' good players (you know, the ones who turn up when they get that shock 3-0 against one of the top 5 teams) are willing to play a LOT more games now that their home pitch will be at Northwood and not that tufty cow field. 

How's that for an outsider shout!

Welwyn Garden City are obvious favourites. However, over inflated egos, arrogance and keeping all the big time Charlie's happy will be their downfall. Wembley will strengthen and learn valuable lessons from last season. Tring Athletic will be the dark horses. Good manager, and if they can recruit two or three stronger players and keep hold of what they had, they have a chance. Colney Heath will also be challenging, Ryan Thompson knows the league well and his sides are never easy to lay against.

1) Tring Athletic

2) Colney Heath

3) Wembley

Would love to see Tring or Wembley win it.

• 1 month later...

Welwyn have to win it with that budget.

1. Welwyn

2. Berko

3. London Colney

4. Wembley

5. Tring

6. Cockfosters

I've just watched Cockfosters huff and puff their way to a glorious 3-0 victory...

Only four Cockfosters names recognisable from the top thirty or so names in last season's pecking order --- and with a combined total of ten first-team starts between the lot of them.

The opponents ?  Albanian FC --- who play in the third tier of the Amateur Football Combination --- which, depending on how you wish to quantify it, puts them some six or seven 

divisions below 'Fosters.  Albanian are basically Finchley Catholic High School Old Boys, and normally find themselves taking on the likes of Old Whitgiftians Thirds and Old

Radlettians Fourths, and yet despite this, more than held their own for over an hour, and should perhaps have even been in the lead.

'Fosters scored a fine goal in the 65th minute, and then two more on 84 and 90, when tiredness was clearly taking its toll on Albanian.

A win is a win, and it's early days yet, but if Cockfosters finish anywhere outside of the bottom three I will be truly amazed...  

I've just returned from the Old Elizabethans Ground, a beautiful place to watch football on a warm evening, where Hadley were taking on their new friends AFC Southgate.

My first sight of Hadley this season, and they looked in good shape --- they appear to have held on to the bulk of last season's squad, and the guys looked fit and keen.

My feeling is that last year's relegation battle may have been an aberration, and that this season they should be comfortably mid-table, or better.

My first-ever sight of Southgate, who included in their line-up a couple of players who have made the odd appearance for Hadley in recent seasons.  They are a mixed bunch,

as one might expect of a team making its first venture into senior football.  They have a lively attack, which may catch out a few teams, but I think they may struggle defensively.

Three of their back four, and two of their midfield, were at least half a stone overweight, and all were visibly wheezing as early as the third minute, when the first goal went in.

They stuck at it enthusiastically, to be fair to them, but further goals followed on 30, 49, 75 and 77.

Without wishing to be unkind, pub footballers will get found out fairly quickly in the Spartan, even in Division Two...  

Also was at Colney Heath to see a good Colney side completely outplay the AFC Southgate new boys. An absolute travesty should they finish anything other than bottom of the Spartan League Div 2. A bunch of has been non league players trying to resurrect their fledgling careers by dropping down. Can see them losing 5-0 to Totternhoe in the first game.

Colney looked bright. However, hard to see them beating the Welwyn Garden Spartan All Stars being assembled over there. Can see Welwyn winning it by 10 points.

• 2 months later...

Looks like a fight between WGC & Berko this year, both on great runs, with Harpenden and Biggleswade closely following,

WGC             (P18 W16 D1 L1 all comp)

Berko            (P17 W12 D2 L3 all comp)

Harpenden    (P17 W10 D2 L5 all comp)

Biggleswade (P17 W10 D2 L5 all comp)

what happened at LC (P21 W9 D2 L10 all comp) ? 19 points from 15 games ?

catdog has been right so far, going to be close i think between welwyn and berko

Edited by wgc daz