Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

good news

old towner

A brief FA statement following today's announcement from the UK Government

Today the government announced new rules which should allow spectators to attend live sport once the second lockdown ends. We are, however, still short on detail, which will be further discussed between our governing body and the Department for Digital, Media, Culture and Sport. In response, the FA have released the following statement:

'We welcome the UK Government’s announcement today and we are very pleased that organised sports, which include Steps 3-6 of the National League System [NLS], Tiers 3-6 of the Women’s Football Pyramid [WFP] and competitive grassroots football, can look forward to resuming from 2nd December.

We are also delighted to see the beginning of the safe return of fans in stadiums for elite sports events and confirmation that spectators at non-elite sports will be able to attend events in line with Covid-secure guidance for each tier.

without 2 players playing for welling now in lockdown

The FA also said 'We will continue our ongoing dialogue with Government to clarify the details and next steps, and provide further updates in due course'.

No clarity yet on whether matches at our level will be allowed in Tier 3 areas - we'll find out on Thursday what tier we'll be in. Evening Standard is currently saying London is likely to be Tier 2, Daily Mail front page says London will be Tier 3.

The Welling players will be out of isolation before we're due to restart on the 8th December (Welling's statement on that subject was 20th November) - whether Ryan & Lyle come back is, of course, another matter.

Think would be good if we had an update.....obviously don't know about when exactly the Town will start playing again however......

you'd think there was some sort of dialogue going on between the management teams and players.....including Welling.......or are they being kept in the dark as much as we are??

As I understand it, Welling are due to play in the FA Trophy. I've not checked, but assuming Ryan and Lyle have both represented Town in the Trophy this season, then I gather they are ineligible to be selected for Welling. Would make sense for them to come back to Town for the Maldon game. 

We then kidnap them after the game and 'The Welling Problem' is solved.

Edited by The Crowing Cockerel

Gosh these " amicable arrangements*" certainly become confusing!!!!!!

From what I have learned about the football world in the passed, CC, there is no such thing as sense or logic. It seems that in their world the watch phrase is " hang on to what you have got what ever happens, or at least until the price is right, whether legit or other wise.  

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Yes CC they both played against Ramsgate so yes should play their next match for us ..

Given the Welling isolation it would be good to get confirmation they are returning ..

Whilst on the topic of good news, stumbled across Barnets live feed v Hartlepool tonight with 15mins to go - was a pay link but could be seen free - was interested in seeing Mo but he only played last few minutes - Barnet looked awful and their forum is doom and gloom about potential relegation  - so in theory there could be an Enfield - Barnet league game next season for 1st time since 89/90 !!

As i said before i think we somehow need to make sure players commit to the club for a full season.Otherwise don't let them play for the club.(Also no dual contracts).There is currently very little connection between playing squad and supporters due to the high turnover of players (Although this is not unique to our club).This lack of connection affects attendances, so cost the club money.

We are not in the business to be used as a convenient very short term stepping stone for players.And then to get no loyalty,benefit,or financial reward when they leave.

A settled squad  will be of more benefit to the club and our performances on the pitch than a transient ever-changing squad,even if that means missing out of some promising short term players

Edited by lovely stuff

It's an interesting debate and one we've clearly not managed to solve satisfactorily as a club yet. The one thing that needs to be clearly understood is that there's a difference between a contract and a registration.

A contract means obligations for both the club and the player (we have 2 players on contract, I believe?) - how large those obligations are will depend on the monetary value of the contract and how long is left on that contract. I think it has been suggested before that we put more players on smaller value contracts - but then it would be much easier for the contract to be broken on either side, with little monetary recompense. I suspect there may be minimum and living wage considerations here too, though I don't personally know how these apply to non full time employment. Whist a contract may mean the club receives monetary compensation if that contracted player moves to another club, it also means we are stuck with paying the value of that contract if we want a player to move on - remember the highly thought of centre back of a few years ago, who came in as club captain but for one reason or another it didn't work out? If you want them to leave you then either agree amicably between the two parties, pay up the remainder of the contract (can be very costly) or continue paying the player and not playing them (Ozil at Arsenal being a perfect example).

A registration means a player can play for us - but any club can make a 7 day approach so it only really gives you 7 days comfort. Dual registrations are allowable which I've always felt is a nonsense but that's not to say I can't see the logic of the decision ETFC took recently. It hasn't worked due to a Welling player catching Covid - but both players will be eligible again before we next play, it could have been that this happened in the last  2 weeks before our next game or they got injured and then neither would even have been eilgible! I've no idea whether either player will come back - though they are both cup tied for us in the FA Trophy as I understand it so that may help. I know there is a deep mistrust of BQ after what happened last time but he was (still is?) good friends with our Chairman so maybe that's where the 'amicable arrangement' comes from. I also don't think we should forget that at least one of those 2 players has shown considerable loyalty to our club over the last few seasons when he could have moved elsewhere. Lovely family too who also contribute a lot to our club.

So what's the answer? Who knows? Who'd be a football club chairman? Thankfully we have a good one whose commitment to our club is not in question. Though that doesn't make the decisions any easier!

7 hours ago, lovely stuff said:

As i said before i think we somehow need to make sure players commit to the club for a full season.Otherwise don't let them play for the club.(Also no dual contracts).There is currently very little connection between playing squad and supporters due to the high turnover of players (Although this is not unique to our club).This lack of connection affects attendances, so cost the club money.

We are not in the business to be used as a convenient very short term stepping stone for players.And then to get no loyalty,benefit,or financial reward when they leave.

A settled squad  will be of more benefit to the club and our performances on the pitch than a transient ever-changing squad,even if that means missing out of some promising short term players

Well said.?

On 25/11/2020 at 10:15, AnfieldTowner said:

Who'd be a football club chairman? Thankfully we have a good one whose commitment to our club is not in question. Though that doesn't make the decisions any easier!

The last few posts completely some up the problems of being a club like ours. Each submission has it's own merits. 

However, the one thing I think we can all agree with unreservedly is the last para of AT's comment quoted above regarding our Chairman who is continuing the tradition of service to our club started by other family members.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Any views on whether our football should re-start again next week?

The FA confirmed yesterday that no fans are allowed at our level in Tier 3 areas - so I think that's just Margate & Folkestone in our league? What seems less clear is whether food and drink can be sold in Tier 2 - though it does seem clear that the club bar could only open with table service and if a substantial meal is bought with any alcohol. So, in reality, that probably remains closed I'm guessing. Capacity limit remains at 600 at our level.

I believe that the Leagues at Step 3 & 4, including Isthmian Premier, met last night to try to achieve a consensus across the leagues. The trouble is that also includes the Northern Premier League where most clubs are in Tier 3. The clubs at Step 3 & 4 have, I understand, been asked to vote for or against the following:-

'That Steps 3 & 4 continue the current pause in the season with a regular review in the light of changes to the current Tiers and/or Grants becoming available'.

Voting for clubs closes at midnight tonight with results due tomorrow - I've no idea how our club will vote.

Personally, I hope we can get back to playing again next week, though I wouldn't expect the teams in Tier 3 to play without fans. I hope the Isthmian League decides to go ahead, allowing Margate and Folkestone temporarily to postpone matches. Their Tier 3 restriction could, after all, be potentially less than 2 weeks but we'll have to wait and see.

Really disappointed with that decision, just can't see the sense in it at all.

If that is the decision that's accepted by the league then I can't see anything other than another wasted void season. We're not going to be going into Tier 1 anytime soon as far as I can see - Tier 2 is as good as we're going to get for many months.

Why close down at a time when the rest of the football community is opening up? Charlton had 2,000 fans last night.