Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Folkestone Invicta

seemgee

It’s unlikely we will play many teams better than Folkestone this season in my opinion they will definitely make the playoffs,our performance today was disappointing the defence was all over the place both full backs had a torrid time the midfield seemed to be overrun to many passes going astray at times it seemed Folkestone had more players on the pitch as they were first to everything and they totally had the measure of us,I really hoped we would be up for this game, the only positive was that we only lost by one goal

Started today with every intent to be at the game today. But didn't expect a routine follow up visit at the hospital to take 2 1/2 hours. I know I shouldn't grumble since I was lucky to have at least been given an appointment.

So that's my rant for the day.!!!!!

However, I much appreciate Rebel's views on the game. I suppose the result was to be expected sooner or later. But his remarks regarding our defensive play is quite worrying especially as it sounds a bit deja-vu of previous years. These past instances were mainly due to lack of discipline and organisation.

Allowing for Reb's comments on the ability of Folkstone hopefully these two elements can be readily addressed in training and we will quickly bounce back. Since it is so easy to fall into bad habits and undo what the team has so far achieved.   

That said we are still on 2pts a game which I believe is a guide target for us to be in the top 3. 

I look forward to reading more accounts of how different members giving their view of the game.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I think Rebel summed it up perfectly…. They did seem to have players everywhere….They flew down the left turning jon and Jere inside out…. When you keep giving free kicks and corners away sooner or later it will result in a goal…. Strange decision to replace Jon with Adam C knowing the problems down that side and their third was a carbon copy of about six goals conceded this year…. Free on the left cross to an unmarked forward in the middle of the goal…. Passing again awful but as Rebel stated we won’t come up against a better side…. After we got our second the in next fifteen minutes I think the ball was moving about five minutes… people lying everywhere… Subs …trainers on  the lot… how on earth did we get less than three minutes injury time… just as Adam flicked it on to Mo the ref blew… I thought that was shocking….results around us pretty much lessened the blow with only Two of the top ten winning… 

Theo, I hope this is just a hic up and is soon cured for the reasons I have already given.  I can only repeat my mantra, " Start on the front foot and take the game to them before they can get settled. Stay disciplined and keep it simple. Aim to try and make them play differently". 

Practically every successful top team plays this way no matter at what level. . This doesn't negate using the long ball to spring into attack as often shown by the top Prem League teams. But you must not be over ambitious when making such passes.

Your final remark describing obvious time wasting is a difficult one.  It is up to the captain to keep reminding the ref of the time being wasted. Although the Ref remains the final arbiter of this it would make him think twice when adding on time. It would also support a negative appraisal should it be thought necessary. 

But as you have said we seem to have again been helped somewhat by other results. But we cannot always rely on this. So lets hope we revert to another sequence of wins. 

9 hours ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

Theo, I hope this is just a hic up and is soon cured for the reasons I have already given.  I can only repeat my mantra, " Start on the front foot and take the game to them before they can get settled. Stay disciplined and keep it simple. Aim to try and make them play differently". 

To be honest most games we come out flying as we did yesterday…. We will lose games as every club will… remember FIFC lost 0-5 recently….clubs will find their position after a long season and I definitely think we are top five….. 

Of course you are right Theo, everyone has set backs during a season. Especially with 25 games still to play.

As I said earlier keeping to a 2pts average per game should be more than adequate to ensure a place well within the player off places.  Any additions to that will be a bonus!!!!!

Perhaps we shouldn't get to far ahead with ourselves. Let's see how things are at the end of this month.

Hope yesterday was just a bad day at the office.  Was going to start the thread off about how well we had been playing recently so was in good spirits beforehand.

However, thought we struggled all afternoon.     Couldn't string 3 passes along, Folkestone definitely had the lion's share of possession and most frustratingly we treated the ball like it was a helium balloon.     Defensively we never looked strong and not sure Ryan and Jon will have more challenging afternoons.

Cannot fault the effort again but our midfield definitely were overrun and they had 2 of the most useful forwards we'll see at Donkey Lane.

Was curious if their 9 and Andre knew each other previously as had to be separated on numerous occasions.

Hopefully be back to starting another long home streak on Tuesday night.

4 hours ago, djwilf said:

Hope yesterday was just a bad day at the office.  Was going to start the thread off about how well we had been playing recently so was in good spirits beforehand.

However, thought we struggled all afternoon.     Couldn't string 3 passes along, Folkestone definitely had the lion's share of possession and most frustratingly we treated the ball like it was a helium balloon.     Defensively we never looked strong and not sure Ryan and Jon will have more challenging afternoons.

Cannot fault the effort again but our midfield definitely were overrun and they had 2 of the most useful forwards we'll see at Donkey Lane.

Was curious if their 9 and Andre knew each other previously as had to be separated on numerous occasions.

Hopefully be back to starting another long home streak on Tuesday night.

I’ve seen that Andre was also at Maidstone ,Dartford and David Smith  was at Dover and Ashford. So there might be a Kent connection where they know each other 

41 minutes ago, djwilf said:

OT thought it was Yusuff that Andre was having issues with.....although I'm sure lots of players at this level cross paths at some point.

If it was Adam Yusuff then yes from any of 20 clubs he has played for in about 10 years so that 2 clubs per season approx Dover Hornchurch Dulwitch Tonbridge Welling East Thurrock  Haybridge Leatherhead  Folkestone to name a few !!

Hopefully just a blip ...

We started really well and first 10 mins or so we looked good, but then either took foot off the gas or they upped their game

The goals we conceded did look weak - and we didnt keep possession .. am I imagining it or did their second come from a break after we lost it attempting a flick on the touchline near our dugout?

We gave it a good go at the end and could have snatched an equaliser .. their timewasting at the end was embarassing .. and why did the ref blow for full time when we were attacking?

They are a good side - and their forum described it as "This has to be one of Invicta best ever away performances when you take into account the circumstances"

We've played them twice now and sit ahead of them in the table. By all accounts they have a bit of an injury crisis - so may drop points in the coming weeks.

Which brings me onto my main point - I think Andy needs to start rotation a bit more - it is a squad game, and we have a very strong bench these days - my worry is the non starters get fed up and look for football elswehere - we then have a few injuries and struggle ..

In the last few games, subs have changed us - they need to be rewarded 

With other results going our way, we still sit in 2nd .. but I would like to see a few team changes to the line up on Tuesday  .. and I expect a comfortable win if we are to keep up our promotion push ...

8 hours ago, Raingod said:

Which brings me onto my main point - I think Andy needs to start rotation a bit more - it is a squad game, and we have a very strong bench these days - my worry is the non starters get fed up and look for football elswehere - we then have a few injuries and struggle ..

In the last few games, subs have changed us - they need to be rewarded 

With other results going our way, we still sit in 2nd .. but I would like to see a few team changes to the line up on Tuesday  .. and I expect a comfortable win if we are to keep up our promotion push ...

I appreciate we've been winning and flying high in the table, but it is of note that fellow title/play-off challengers have moved to strengthen recently. Examples would be Worthing bringing in a striker from Dorking and Hornchurch signing Tom Wraight from Chelmsford. We've not been on this kind of streak since our days in the Ryman North, so I appreciate that this is uncharted territory, but should we be looking to strengthen still further even at the risk of losing a squad player or two?