Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Worthing v Enfield Town

seemgee

Listening to the Worthing chairman after the game it's very telling how surprised he was at our long ball game. He clearly expected a tougher game but said we played into their hands. I know this is a bit mischievious but it feels like someone said, "Tell the lads to ease off a bit 'cos the club can't afford to go up. We can't play that 'misspelling a player's name' again stunt."

That's the only thing I can come up with for the fall in performance. Am I being naughty? Has anyone at the club suggested anything better?

3 minutes ago, Crusty Lee said:

Listening to the Worthing chairman after the game it's very telling how surprised he was at our long ball game. He clearly expected a tougher game but said we played into their hands. I know this is a bit mischievious but it feels like someone said, "Tell the lads to ease off a bit 'cos the club can't afford to go up. We can't play that 'misspelling a player's name' again stunt."

That's the only thing I can come up with for the fall in performance. Am I being naughty? Has anyone at the club suggested anything better?

Management not good enough 

Listened to the Worthing live commentary. Disappointing but I think the Wingate game away was the one that really knocked our confidence. Worthing and Bishop’s Stortford are both strong teams and deserve to finish above us in the table.

Was surprised to see Faal, Cass, Sayoud and Cunnington start. If we learned anything from the Wingate game, it is that we are better balanced with Della Verde in the starting 11. Need to get back to winning ways quickly if we are going to make the play-offs now. Having said that, and on the back of 3 straight defeats in the league, I still think we have had a good season (cue accusations of lack of ambition) ?

I imagine the players aren't allowed to talk but does anyone know what any of them think? Are they doing what they're told or ignoring it?

I agree we've had a good season and still have every chance. I have a saying that the table doesn't lie but it doesn't tell the whole truth either. We are still 3rd despite the results but clearly the season could fall away alarmingly.

4 minutes ago, Crusty Lee said:

I imagine the players aren't allowed to talk but does anyone know what any of them think? Are they doing what they're told or ignoring it?

I agree we've had a good season and still have every chance. I have a saying that the table doesn't lie but it doesn't tell the whole truth either. We are still 3rd despite the results but clearly the season could fall away alarmingly.

I personally think the players should talk AND MANAGEMENT  should too

come on here and explain why we went wrong 3 games in a row 

someone must be accountable 

Just the normal we didn’t they didn’t . Not our players are what ever 

Come on management and the board the supporters have put in a lot of money into the club be honest with us do you want the team to go up or are you  just wanting a mid table team 

As you know OT I have actually been saying the same as C.Lee for several years. Perhaps somewhat more cynically.

Also something else I have been going on about since he first came is AL's insistence in using the long ball game as his main choice of preference. 

However, promotion is still in his hands and those of the team depending how much they want it. Obviously it must be clear to all this can only be achieve by way of the play-offs. 

Unfortunately, if we don't achieve this I feel the next few years will be tough for the club. You can't expect to continue to retain support if you are asked to accept the status quo for year after year. 

However, I still feeling that 21 more points, ie. 7 wins from ten games, will ensure us getting to stage one, the play-offs. From there it will be down to the luck of the draw.

It is now up to the playing staff, both management and players, to show us that they have the grit to get there.

1 hour ago, 4wembleyfinals said:

As you know OT I have actually been saying the same as C.Lee for several years. Perhaps somewhat more cynically.

Also something else I have been going on about since he first came is AL's insistence in using the long ball game as his main choice of preference. 

However, promotion is still in his hands and those of the team depending how much they want it. Obviously it must be clear to all this can only be achieve by way of the play-offs. 

Unfortunately, if we don't achieve this I feel the next few years will be tough for the club. You can't expect to continue to retain support if you are asked to accept the status quo for year after year. 

However, I still feeling that 21 more points, ie. 7 wins from ten games, will ensure us getting to stage one, the play-offs. From there it will be down to the luck of the draw.

It is now up to the playing staff, both management and players, to show us that they have the grit to get there.

4WF.   I totally agree  with all you said 

Edited by old towner

According to to the Worthing forum our hapless right back who was given a torrid time all game was Percy, if that’s correct I can’t understand Andy playing him in this position as previous attempts at playing him there have produced woeful performances by him, it is obviously not his position if andy wants to play a midfielder in that position he would be better off playing youngs there as in my opinion he is offering very little lately 

With Mo misfiring and none of the other strikers stepping up I honestly can't see us finishing above any of Bishops Stortford, Folkestone, Hornchurch or Lewes. Which means that we will miss out on the play-offs. And even if we did make it into the play-offs, we simply don't have the tactical nous to get past the other sides. I've watched with the interest the reactions of the Kingstonian management and fans as their team has fallen away from being at the top of the table. Despite being homeless, they have ambitions to play higher up the pyramid and their manager has fronted-up on camera after each recent defeat. We seem to have more resources than them - and a more talented squad, which makes our breakdown all the more disappointing. I want Andy to explain why the players are playing a long ball game?!

If we finish 6th then I would be in favour of a new manager coming in - with new players and a new philosophy.

8 hours ago, Rebel without a clue said:

Comment from the Worthing forum, totally outclassed a frankly very disappointing Enfield side, they seemed to favour hoofball and weren’t very good at it…sums the last few games up

That made me smile coz it’s true  we are poor at the long ball as said by others on here . Andy read this and make note , we don’t do long ball 

I wasn't there so difficult to say too much -  based on the 5 min highlights Worthing have posted up - I will put in the other thread now, looks like we went with a back 3 with PK and Bilal as "wing backs"

Goals were poor to concede marking wise, PKs red didnt look a red to me, their player went down easily .. but PK didnt protest - so maybe it was fair? Their guy was clean through after he failed to cut it out ..

First half commentary they werent impressed with us, their forum likewise - so we can all agree it was not a great day...

So we are on a bad run of form, 3 poor performances in a row by all accounts ( I was only at Wingate of the 3) .. but I dont get the negativity and statements on this thread like the manager should go now?

- Still on course for BEST EVER finish - yes we are having a blip now, and I'm sure the playing staff and management will be working hard to correct this - but we only have 1 play off contender in our 10 games left .. a good % of wins and 2nd place is up for grabs - which means we have 2 home games in the play offs .. even 3rd would mean a home semi tie ..

- If we had decided we didnt want to go up, we wouldnt have invested in Cass - I'm sure that extra part of the wage budget wasnt just lying around .. and credit to the board and Andy for making such a great signiing, along with the squad we have assembled ..

- Attendences reaching 750 .. thats what we got in the GMVC in the 80s ...

So yes, right to be concerned as we are off form - but still 2nd place up for grabs ... and I-personally think the club have moved on at all levels this season - and every person who has contributed to that can be proud .. there is now a gap between 6th and 7th .. and unless there is an extraordinary run by one of the clubs in 7th or below, there are 5 of us competing for 4 play off places .. we simply focus on our own games and the others will drop points against each other

East Thurrock next who are fighting for their lives and won 1-0 v Carshalton yesterday .. this has to be 3 points .. 

Let's keep positive ... play offs was the target at the start of the season - still well within reach .. 

PS Worthing forum implies there was some sort of trouble at the end - can anyone shed any light on?

Edited by Raingod

2 hours ago, Raingod said:

I wasn't there so difficult to say too much -  based on the 5 min highlights Worthing have posted up - I will put in the other thread now, looks like we went with a back 3 with PK and Bilal as "wing backs"

Goals were poor to concede marking wise, PKs red didnt look a red to me, their player went down easily .. but PK didnt protest - so maybe it was fair? Their guy was clean through after he failed to cut it out ..

First half commentary they werent impressed with us, their forum likewise - so we can all agree it was not a great day...

So we are on a bad run of form, 3 poor performances in a row by all accounts ( I was only at Wingate of the 3) .. but I dont get the negativity and statements on this thread like the manager should go now?

- Still on course for BEST EVER finish - yes we are having a blip now, and I'm sure the playing staff and management will be working hard to correct this - but we only have 1 play off contender in our 10 games left .. a good % of wins and 2nd place is up for grabs - which means we have 2 home games in the play offs .. even 3rd would mean a home semi tie ..

- If we had decided we didnt want to go up, we wouldnt have invested in Cass - I'm sure that extra part of the wage budget wasnt just lying around .. and credit to the board and Andy for making such a great signiing, along with the squad we have assembled ..

- Attendences reaching 750 .. thats what we got in the GMVC in the 80s ...

So yes, right to be concerned as we are off form - but still 2nd place up for grabs ... and I-personally think the club have moved on at all levels this season - and every person who has contributed to that can be proud .. there is now a gap between 6th and 7th .. and unless there is an extraordinary run by one of the clubs in 7th or below, there are 5 of us competing for 4 play off places .. we simply focus on our own games and the others will drop points against each other

East Thurrock next who are fighting for their lives and won 1-0 v Carshalton yesterday .. this has to be 3 points .. 

Let's keep positive ... play offs was the target at the start of the season - still well within reach .. 

PS Worthing forum implies there was some sort of trouble at the end - can anyone shed any light on?

Agree totally, common sense really

18 hours ago, old towner said:

I personally think the players should talk AND MANAGEMENT  should too

come on here and explain why we went wrong 3 games in a row 

someone must be accountable 

Get the players and management on this forum ??????? how ridiculous, don’t ever lose sight of your Pub Football mentality-priceless comment- which you’re absolutely within your rights to say ??

I am not calling for Andy to be sacked now. What I am saying is that he has been manager for almost 5 years. Whilst they've not been a disaster, and we've had a few bright moments, he's not been able to get us close to the National League South. This year was his big opportunity. If he fluffs his lines now (in relation to getting into the play-offs) then it is time for change as soon as the season ends.