Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Cray Wanderers

seemgee

First game for some time.....

Couldnt tell which team was going for promotion and which was battling relegation.

Pitch was very dry and bouncy so we proceeded to play 80% in the air...really dont understand it.   Scott going off early didnt help.

Seems at half time Nathan and the back 4 were having a discussion of perhaps needing to be tighter: we didnt look composed in defence all afternoon.

Jake worked very hard for his hatrick, have to say I prefer Ryan at LB to try and build up play.

Going to be an interesting end to the season but I do wish we d get the ball down and try linking up together....little point going long if Adam is on the sidelines.

Good battling performance and got the point needed for the play offs. Pity goal of the season nominations are in as Jake’s second would be a contender. Agree with mixing up play a bit more. Lee’s long throws became a bit predictable and their no 6 was getting them away.

We got into the play offs, but wasn’t today a challenge? We never looked safe when Cray had a set piece situation and could have leaked one or two more. However, a cracking hat trick from Cass was enough to get the point we needed. 

Why do we seem to like hoofing the ball into the air from defence? Answers on a post card please.

Town didn't begin to string any passes together until Cray were 3-2 up and dropped off desperately trying to cling onto the 3 points. Up until that point the pitch had been a true leveller - bobbly, dry, dusty, hard. Not conducive to knocking the ball about or dribbling. The pitch really isn't doing us any favours. Not least because it doesn't suit Mo's game. He likes to pick the ball up, run at players, beat them with a bit of skill. But with the ball bobbling around he's giving it away more often than not. With Mo proving ineffective, Town can and do struggle. Throw in a Cray team battling for survival with a 17yo keeper playing a blinder on his debut and you have all the ingredients for a tricky day at the office.

Defensively, Town have the worst 'goals against' record in the Top 5. The goals we conceded yesterday were poor. Whilst it makes for exciting games, I'd much rather be heading into the play-offs with a stingy defensive unit. Does MacDonald ever come and collect crosses/corners??

Jake Cass was awesome. Chased every lost cause, won most of his headers and thoroughly deserved his hat-trick.

So what we need now is some luck - and quite a bit of it - if we're going to make it through the play-offs.

Andy as we know the team play the “Andy” way coz he knows no other way  long up to the front line and hope  C C 

you cant blame the pitch both teams played on it and Cray played better. Mo has been off for a long time 

The trouble with us is we don’t go for more goals when we get one unlike Hornchurch Bishops Sortford and Worthing  we needed a bigger goal difference than what we have  or am I wrong again 

20 minutes ago, old towner said:

The trouble with us is we don’t go for more goals when we get one unlike Hornchurch Bishops Sortford and Worthing  we needed a bigger goal difference than what we have  or am I wrong again 

Don't think goal difference is going to determine anything.

The spectre of Cheshunt going up via the play-offs is now looming large!

3 hours ago, The Crowing Cockerel said:

So what we need now is some luck - and quite a bit of it - if we're going to make it through the play-of

Well that was my first game I have been able to attend in 7 months.

It seems that I had gone back in time to when AL's initial team drew 1-1 with Folkestone at home, in August 1917. I can only paraphrase what I said a few days later on this forum  which was .... "Great Crowd, pity about the football"  I also went on to say that most of the players seems to be competing with one and other to see how hard and high they could kick the ball. I also ask where was all the smart interplay which supporters had been writing about over that Summer. Or was that delusional.

Off course I am as pleased as punch we have made my the play-offs again. But I find that our method of play shown yesterday was rather embarrassing. To me it was deja vu and I think CC and OT summed it better than I can.For my part I can only suggest that the team be allowed to formulate there own plan and for the management team to leave them well alone. I am sure they will come up something better than what we saw yesterday

2 hours ago, old towner said:

Andy as we know the team play the “Andy” way coz he knows no other way  long up to the front line and hope  C C 

2 hours ago, old towner said:

Eleven players thrown on the pitch again with absolutely no  tactics or shape… the organisation at the back is laughable… what’s Nathan doing… it’s happening right in front of him but he is silent like every other player on the pitch and those on the bench…. Opponents standing with not a marker near them and nothing…. All decent players (that’s why we are where we are ) but nobody having a clue where they should be at the back…. Twelve clean sheets in a row for Stortford… brilliant coaches and organisation and it’s what we should be aiming for …… still Jakes goal was worth the entry fee just a shame that piece of brilliance was cancelled out by joke defending….  Tactically we are a joke … probably the worst organised team at least in the top half …thankfully and credit to Andy we have a squad good enough and has managed to get points from the shambles…..

23 minutes ago, Theodopolous said:

Twelve clean sheets in a row for Stortford… brilliant coaches and organisation and it’s what we should be aiming for …… still Jakes goal was worth the entry fee just a shame that piece of brilliance was cancelled out by joke defending….  Tactically we are a joke … probably the worst organised team at least in the top half …thankfully and credit to Andy we have a squad good enough and has managed to get points from the shambles…..

Stortford are an absolute machine! Justice would tell you that they should be going up with Worthing. But play-offs are funny old things - I still say a little prayer for The Great Walid Matata every night before bed!

If we could defend then we might've even secured automatic promotion. Whatever happens during the season finale we need to recruit a couple of defenders and try to get Jake Cass on board again next season - particularly if Mo is heading off.

Absolute masterclass yesterday. Judging by all the results recently we appear to be approaching the playoffs with the weakest performances. Anyone scouting us go away thinking, "No worries. They can score but they let 'em in too. Nothing to see hear. Move on." Excellent. Just what we want.

Bobbly pitch? No worries, we'll be playing away.

By my reckoning, in the last 7 'standard' seasons, 3 clubs have gone up from 4th, 2 each from 2nd and 3rd. I don't think anyone's gone up from 5th.

Wasn't there a time earlier this season when we were leaky but then clearly worked on it? We can do that again.

Anyway, that's some straws clutched.

Having watched the highlights of the Hornchurch V Brightlingsea game the Urchins pitch actually looks better than ours. So, by the time we reveal that we can actually defend after all - and deliver a brand of passing football which we've not displayed since October, the Urchins won't know what's hit 'em!