Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town 5 Enfield Legends 5

Town - Hall, Campbell, Farenden, Gant, Steve Sedgeley, Masala, Ndombe, Hall, Negus, Snowden, Byfield

Legends John Jacobs, Robin Lewis, Keith Hayzleden, Dave Flint, Dave Howell, Nicky Ironton, Roy Parkyn, Paul Taylor, Trevor Wilkinson, Paul Harding, Steve King

Manager (Legends) Paul Furlong

Crowd 257

Most of the Legends limbered up in the bar first exercising their arms well before finding the pitch. Early exchanges were fairly even with Paul Taylor getting the better of Rudi Hall in a remarkably polite tussle.

Maurice Byfield let go with a bicycle kick just wide. Seb Ndombe shot only for an acrobatic “Flying pig”John Jacobs to save it energetically for one so large (bet he feels that tomorrow). On 11 minutes Byfield tapped home his first goal 1 – 0. The former Notts County and Birmingham City player Paul Harding was making darting runs just lacing the finish. After a mistake by Jacobs Byfield had a simple tap in 2 – 0. Paul Harding looked like he had scored but the ball had gone just behind after trying to lob Chopper. A shot by Paul Taylor ricochets off the woodwork.

The cameo of the game was Seb Ndombe Showing off his ball skills and one of the legends putting him unceremoniously on his pants. You could not help but smile at Seb being put in his place by the older player.

Dave Howell headed into Choppers arms.

Byfield Sprinted towards goal with a group of older legends chasing him and they did enough to distract him too. Rudi headed over. Dave Howell flipped one over the bar. (Half-time 2 – 0).

Town - Hall, Campbell, Brotherton, Sedgeley, Negus, Baldwin, Smith, Wright, Riley, Keke St Hillaire,

Legends Andy Pape, David McDonald, Micky Engwell, Trevor Wilkinson, Erskine Smart, Paul Turner, Paul Moran, Mark Pye, Roy Parkyn, Brian Hammatt. Martin St Hillaire.

So good to See Father playing against son. Both quality players.

Keke ran the ball down the wing, passed it back to Matty Negus who chips Andy Pape sublimely 3 – 0. Lee Smith heads home 4 – 0 in a Smith St Hillaire partnership up front. Roy Parkyn took a shot and Chopper (unexplainably) fumbled the ball into his own net 4 – 1. The Legends then got a penalty which Paul Moran tucked away 4 – 2. Byfield then had a shot which rebounded for Keke to score 5 – 2.

At this point Jimmy Chandler came on for Chopper and David Bryant for Matty Negus. Spot the similarities.

Roy Parkyn scored his second. 5 -3. Not to be outdone by his son Martin scored at the other end 5 -4 and Brian Hammatt evened it up at 5 -5.

A wonderful festival of football with face painting for the children. Adults tripped down memory lane and a chance to meet older heroes.

Thank you Brian Hammatt for the whole idea in aid of the Tsunami – Top Man.

Sounds like you had a great day, and in a very good cause !

Hope you raised a load of cash !

Well done !

A great day was had by all. I have to say that the ball skills of some of the 'legends' put some of ours to shame. To see someone trap a ball, look up, pass to a team mate who was some 40 yards away and then go looking for the return was a delight to see. Reminded me of when I used to play!!!!

Thanks to all for making the day something to be remembered.

Must also say a big thank you to the officials who also played their part.

Quote:
A great day was had by all. I have to say that the ball skills of some of the 'legends' put some of ours to shame. To see someone trap a ball, look up, pass to a team mate who was some 40 yards away and then go looking for the return was a delight to see.

Woah, steady on, your be wanting defending & attacking next!!

A splendid afternoon's entertainment for an excellent cause.

I particularly liked the look on Rudi's face when he realised that Paul Taylor doesn't know the meaning of the word 'friendly'.

I reckon the Legends' first-half line-up could have held its own in the ESL five years ago. The second-half team could do so now.

Quote:
A splendid afternoon's entertainment for an excellent cause.

I particularly liked the look on Rudi's face when he realised that Paul Taylor doesn't know the meaning of the word 'friendly'.

I reckon the Legends' first-half line-up could have held its own in the ESL five years ago. The second-half team could do so now.

Couldn't agree more old Thomas, a great afternoon. Thanks to evryone who gave so freely of their money in the shop!.
Also it proved two important things, Jim's a rubbish keeper & Chopper's a rubbish Forward!!!!!!!

Ark, this is what Chopper told me how good he was at scoring, when I ask him the best goals he had scored, his reply was

1) overhead kick 18 yards out

2) volley from halfway line

3 on sat played for mates team and scored a left foot volley 20 yards out ! blinder ! aint cleaned my left boot since !

there are loads zody sorry mate !

Great to see two different era's represented in seperate halves. 1980's first half .1990's second half.

I hope the Town players realised that those 40-50 year olds in the legends first half side would have wiped the floor with them if they were the same age as them.That's no disrepect to the Town squad.That 80's team used to wipe the floor with EVERY non-league team at the time.Its interesting to see that some players have aged better than others.Hayzelden at the age of fifty played the same as he did 25 years ago (only the white hair gave the game away),whilst a few of the others were (understandably) struggling to run about.Paul Taylor was putting himself about as did Paul harding on the odd occasion.I think Seb started it off by receiving a pass and doing keepy-ups.Four of the legends belted after him in order to flatten him.(i think Dave Howell got there first).

The second half team was just as entertaining.Great to see Mark Pye do a head-over-heals roll and a celebratary jump in the air as he was introduced to crowd over the tannoy.Curtis and Engwell managed to put in a few 'reducers',but it was (mostly) all in good fun.