Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

PLEASE READ (all of you!)

FleetFanatic

I've spent hours reading stuff the past few days. Luckily it's quiet, being on nights this week. When the news broke Tuesday morning, I was fast asleep - I woke up late afternoon, early evening & read texts about it from friends. I was stunned, to be honest. I spoke to a couple on the phone, at the time it was the final straw, one of them even said that it might be worth sodding off to Dartford. Hmmmmmm.....

.....now I'll be the first to admit that I don't get to as many games as I used to. A combination of work (as many of you know I work shifts as a rail controller), spending time with my daughter, as I no longer live with her mother, there is only one weekend in 4 that she can stay overnight with me. There are certain things that are more important in life than football.

Why did I say that last phrase? Because that is the general malaise in non-league football. The majority of clubs at non-league level have a similar problem, the local communities these clubs are in either have more important things or quite simply, other things to do on a Saturday afternoon. Therefore, regardless of performances on the pitch, the attendances aren't going to happen, other than for a match against a league side in the FA cup and suchlike.

It seems Ebbsfleet as a club reach that point. There appears to be a debt that the current board were either no longer prepared to or could afford to service. Who knows, maybe the club could have faced ruin eventually. Some of you recall the days when the club did very nearly go bust.

Therefore the club was touted to MyFC as a viable proposition. And it is - the long term plans for the regeneration of the Thames Gateway, Ebbsfleet International Station & the proposed developments around it to name just two reasons - the potential for growth is there. I firmly believe that the name change was done by board, as declared by them, with the aim of tapping into all that. I also think it was changed with approaching MyFC in mind. The more attractive the club could be made to look, the better the chance of getting MyFC to take over. Well guess what? They did it.

However, I don't blame Brian, Jason & Co at all. I still recall sitting in the bar after at least 2 matches, talking to Brian (who was the chairman at the time) & the one thing that came over was that he was a supporter first, a chairman second. I don't doubt that Jason is just as much in that mould. Which is why the more I think about this, the more I think they wouldn't have done it unless they REALLY thought the club could benefit.

So what about MyFC? Pumping in £500k to £700k a year, maybe more.

A lot of clubs would love that sort of cash. We used to slate clubs that had money pumped into them - the Canvey Island's & Telford's of this world. Canvey Island - one man - he left, they dropped out of the conference. Telford - one man - his business empire collapsed and Telford went with it. Similar story with Hornchurch. It simply can't happen with this scenario, surely? There's too many big companies tied in with this, as quite simply, too many people.

Then we have the possibilty of increased attendances, if what those who have posted on here is true, that they plan to come to games. Then they are like you and me, paying money at the gate, buying shirts, programmes.

I don't doubt there's a lot of unanswered questions - but it's very early days. I firmly believe that Liam Diash will still be guiding things so that the team that steps out on the pitch is essentially the side he believes will get a result.

Now I can't say I am happy with how it's come about - it feels all MK Dons, franchise football to me - it smacks of creating a fanbase from nowhere. But in one big hit, the club has created something that everybody at one time or another complained they weren't doing - and that was to raise the profile of the club. It doesn't come much bigger than being a news item all around the world. Nobody really knows how this will pan out. The truth is, this could be the one chance to leap forward to heights nobody really thought possible.

The one final thing I will say is that some of the idiots that have joined recently have been banned for the drivel they have posted so far, but let's face it - the majority of new faces on this forum have been more than reasonable in their posts. So I think at this time, it is fair to request that some of our own original members also refrain from derogatory comments too. There is no reason why things cannot be debated in a dignified manner. To be fair to those members of MyFC, they have been reporting their own members to us a fair bit.

The forum is currently a bit of a nightmare to moderate with total efficiency, so your assistance is appreciated.

Darren

I am not entirely surprised at the mildly hostile reception we noobs have got coming on here following the announcement. And i don't think the MyFC people should complain too much about it.

I'm really chuffed to see that there is hope for a meeting of minds and appreciate you putting it out there so eloquently FF.

Darren, as you know from reading all of these posts, many MyFC members are extremely concerned about the supporters' feelings about the announced purchase. Do you have any objection to my copying your post onto the MyFC forum for members to see who haven't made it here to your forum? I won't do it if you object, but if you don't mind, I'd like to make sure MyFC members see this side as well as the objections to our involvement.

Thank you for these words, FleetFanatic.

I am from Canada. It is doubtful I ever will get to U.K. to see a real football game. I joined MyFC because I saw it as an opportunity to join in the excitement of cheering on a "local" club. I was ecstatic at the announcement that Ebbsfleet was to be that team for me to cheer on. I admit, I know nothing about Ebbsfleet. I admit, I am not what you might call a "traditional" supporter. Nevertheless, I have already advised my wife I wish an Ebbsfleet kit for Christmas.

Please do not discount me as a future devout fanatic.

I will be as supportive as I can be, sitting on this side of the pond.

Up The Fleet!

Well said 'Fleet Fanatic'. I am with you on this one. Ive been following 'The Fleet' for near on 40 years. And ive been posting here (with gaps) since before we even had a forum here. This move is exiting and has rejuvenated my interest in the club. Since the name change i have struggled. Not any more. I look forward to all sorts of excitement now at 'Stonebridge Rd'. Something we have not had a lot of just lately. Its been a struggle to compete and the players and management team have done a wonderful job. If this works out 'The Fleet' really could be going places. I welcome the change and our new found supporters.

There are issues, mostly 'political'. There not for me. I am a fan and that's all i want to be. I don't want to control the team, i just wanna support them.I have not been to any games this season. I rarely missed a game before that. I have already explained why. I will be back for the next home game with my daughter and her friends. I look forward to exiting times ahead with 'Ebbsfleet'. The club is a potential 'sleeping giant'. It's 'wake-up' time.

Hurrah

At last, positivity from our end of the spectrum.

As soon as I heard the announcement I join MYFC and I have seen nothing but genuine enthusiasm and support. I honestly believe that this will be a huge success and that we will look back to this week as one of great importance.

I have spoken via emails and forums to many of the MYFC people and I too have no doubt that Liam will still pick the team and sort out the transfer stuff. All that will really change is that we will go from being one of the poorest teams in this league to being a wealthy member of League 2 (and beyond).

Originally Posted By: Richard C
You know, couple of days later and afew rants and even im starting to come round to it!!?? We need money and we need crowds this will serve both for now.

Great to log in this morning and read this! I'm even more positive about the whole thing. I hope that others start to see the positives and that we are here to help.

I have thought long and hard - there are many pro's and a few cons - but a brilliant posting, daz, I am now becoming convinced this is the way forward.

As has been reported, the club were looking at a debt in excess of £350,000 - totally unserviceable with no ground of our own, crowds down 15% to around 950 (with weekly match receiptse of about £6000), and unable to offer players longer than 1 year contracts meant that players of McDonald's ability would never be sold, only released.

Full time football at this level cannot be sustained with crowds of less than 1500, I read somewhere our break even figure was 1350, - we haven't reached that average for years, nothing was going to improve that.

Cup runs are good, but cannot be relied upon as an income source.

I have no doubt Jason, Adrian and Brian were at their wit's end trying to sort things out and improve things both on and off the field, (Fleet Leisure is one example), but tbh, the stadium is a cash cow, and realistically, I could only see the club in gradual decline.

We have been crying out for more publicity, what better could we get than full page articles in every daily national paper, and a 5 minute spot on the main BBC news, featuring an interview with LD, and news of the event reported worldwide. Suddenly we are famous, let us tap into this publicity.

The main website has has unprecedented hits, so has this forum.

What is done is done - this will ensure the continuation of the club, perhaps in an evolved form, but it will still be Fleet.

The club, old fans , newbie fans, Fleet Trust all need to get onside, together and really make a success of this.

We need to employ a marketing officer/team to make sure those who want Fleet paraphanalia, shirts, hats, anoraks, fleeces, scarves can get them, quickly.All will provide additional income.

We are now in a position to get an income stream hitherto undreamed of, we cannot spurn this opportunity to turn Fleet into the biggest side in Kent, with an income that will give us a chance to own a stadium fit for purpose in the football league, which was realistically NEVER going to happen in our present format.

The pro's do outweigh the cons, this is the chance of a lifetime, whilst there are some issues and misgivings I and others have, we now have to get on board and enjoy the ride.

A very nice post and with some very valid points.

Football is Fickle, you only have to look in the stands at Blackburn and Middlesborough when they are playing at Home or at Chelsea's empty seats in Europe to see that "True football fans" are leaving in drones and not just because they have something better or more important to do on a saturday.

In my opinion money for Football clubs should come from Fans not from Russian Billionaires, Thai exiles or any other foreign investors. At the same time these Fans shouldn't be ripped off by hiked up ticket prices to pay for over priced whingers that are in it for the wages.

I joined MyFC over a year ago because it wasn't a Company buying out a club but fans getting "Inolved" with a club, My £35.00 is irrelevant, in fact it's a quater of what it would cost me to watch a Liverpool game. Yes members get to have a say in certain things but do you really think that anyone or all of the members are going to say put the GK up front to ruin a side.....?

Anyone can still sign up to MyFC and pay £35 it's not an elite club of Millionaires.

My only fear is that of the 20,000 who have signed up so far there could be 10,000 who live in Northern England that won't want to re apply next year bacause they can't go to games. Hopefully this extra Media coverage will balance that out and a few more people that can go to games will apply.

I look forward to watching 4 or 5 home games a season and 4 or 5 away games a season... i will wear my Ebbsfleet United Shirt with pride and i also look forward to becoming a True Supporter that can quote history and facts to those who doubt me.

I think in all this whole thing will be a winner for the Fans old and new of Ebbsfleet United and for now i wish all Ebbsfleet United's Fan's, Players, Coaches and all those others that are associated with the club all the best or the rest of 2007/2008, and lets hope that with the extra support and funds that we can make a difference and win promotion in the next few years.

(And i wouldn't be suprised to see some big sponsorship deals signed..... EA sports sponsor the MYfC site and surley they are worth a few thousand.....)

PS... Can you buy a Shirt Online?....

Well put Darren.

I haven't posted on here for ages as I'm no longer prepared to devote the amount of my time it had been known to take up previously (the all-consuming Facebook for the last millenium!) but I feel it necessary that I offer a little bit now.

I've been proud to support the Fleet since 1989 and revelled in the opportunity to watch people up and down the country screw up their faces and say "Who?!" when I answered who it was that I supported... even moreso when the answer was changed to Ebbsfleet wink

["WHO?!" said even louder with almost involuntary wobbling of the mouth Rio Ferdinand style]

This stuff is great however for its immediate impact. Wildean phrase would suggest that "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" and this can only do us good in raising our profile.

Yes, there may be problems arising from this whole business but consider this: we could have not got knocked out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking (again!) and gone on to win it and we wouldn't have generated this amount of publicity. If this creates only a momentary injection of cash then it will be a success and if, perchance, through the global publicity some philanthropic Phillipino (couldn't resist - sorry!) wants to help fund our attempts at building a new stadium or even just wants to build a proper flushing urinal block (with a roof!) then all's good.

Of course, I'm with a number of posters on the logistics of the whole thing: how can someone in Maryland (for example or even Chelsealand, closer to home) possibly know/care whether to try Cronin up front in an untested 3-5-3 formation and if enough people agree to this tactical audacity, would this force Liam's hand...?

There are too many hypothetical questions posted by many members on here without any thought and many more that are intelligent but I'm with you on this one FF: "Nobody really knows how this will pan out" and I for one can't wait to see what happens...

I do want to mention the word audacity once more; no-one else had enough of it to give this a go but we did. I think that says an awful lot about our board, the club and our direction as a whole. Be bold.

I want to end with another quote from Wilde, in response to our myriad new found owners: "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people."

Beating each other up, eh? Seems they'll be more than welcome on here!

Glen

So I think at this time, it is fair to request that some of our own original members also refrain from derogatory comments

Great post and thank you. we are not aliens, goons or nerds but we are football fans and the one thing we want is to have a part in the success of a football club ( because i am not going to get it with Oldham athletic am i )i have already booked my hotel for the trip to the playoff final at wembley. But the bigger picture is that we want to and will do, pump money and lots of it into your football club. Not only through the sale of shirts and programmes but what about savings clubs and sending programmes worldwide to other members, live streaming of all games paid for by monthly subscriptions. Try not to make the mistake that Halifax town and Accrington stanley fans did and alienate us because we are all striving for the same thing and that is to see how far up the league format we can ALL take this. As an after thought we could do with your local knowledge about hotels and pubs for when we come en mass to the next home game. Cheers and good luck in this venture OKUZ X

Three of a growing number of well thought out eloquent statements that are now starting to appear on here after the initial emotional rush has died down - well put Darren, Gary and Student.

As I've posted elsewhere I've lurked on here for a long time but finally decided to begin posting after the events of earlier this week. I'm not a diehard fan but I go to the odd game and I do live locally. Im also not a MyFootballClub member yet but I'm tempted.

And if Chatham Gary is on board, well anything's possible!

Of course, I'm with a number of posters on the logistics of the whole thing: how can someone in Maryland (for example or even Chelsealand, closer to home) possibly know/care whether to try Cronin up front in an untested 3-5-3 formation and if enough people agree to this tactical audacity, would this force Liam's hand...?

Glen i am a member of myfootballclub but i will not be picking the team, that i will leave to LD. that is not the reason i joined mfc i joined for success as did countless others. I do not know any of your players so why or how could i think i know better that one of the best up and coming managers around.

i support Oldham athletic and we have a player who plays on the wing week in week out,i think he is not worthy of wearing the shirt and i know this because i can see it for myself every home game,( i would be surprised if you can not recall such a player here at ebbsfleet ) and i wish for a way of telling john sheridan this but i cant, but this way maybe i can. But i will not pick the team and that is not why i am here.

As a neutral I've been really pleased to read the positive posts today.

When I first heard the news I was intrigued because it's such a new concept, but I really liked the idea. I thought I might chip in my £35, but wanted to check out the fans' reaction first, so I started reading the posts on this forum.

Rightly or wrongly, those initial reponses really put me off. I totally understand the apprehension the fans feel, and I didn't want to be part of anything that alienated the true supporters. To be fair myfc don't seem to want that either.

To anyone that feared your club would be a laughing stock, I assure you that isn't the case. I'm sure you'll get your fair share of banter from opposition fans, but everyone I've spoken to thinks it's a great way to boost interest and involvement in the side. If it's true that your club had debt that was unmanageable, I'd say this is a fantastic solution. I really can't see the doomy predictions coming true, either - I doubt you'll get instant success (I laughed when I read that people wanted to take the club into the premiership) but you'll get exposure and a decent additional income stream, which will bring further investment. Hopefully you'll make the play-offs, but from what I hear you had a fair chance of that before any of this was announced.

You wait, other clubs will follow your example.

I'm still not sure I'm the kind of person you'd want to see involved - my local side is ten minutes away from me, I go to all the home matches and wouldn't realistically make it to many Ebbsfleet games. I'd buy a shirt, maybe attend the odd game, and keep an eye on the website for results. I'd also put in the £35 every year.

What I definitely wouldn't be interested in would be voting on team matters, such as selection and tactics. I'd leave that to the professionals and people that know the club better than I ever will, and from what I've read on myfc a lot of other people would feel the same way.

All the best Ebbsfleet

Well put rogerkint, i think all the knee jerk reaction is starting to die down and some of the old brain cells are starting to kick in .

Im a member of myfc and would more than welcome you to come and join and help put the local team on the map. Im not from that area but i am a football fan who loves to watch the beautiful game and yes i have watched my team from lower non league up to 1st div so it is possible !