Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

forrest green

razzlered

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Originally Posted By: Hannah
If Daish decides he wants to leave then fair play but I think sacking him is probably the worst move for us right now for reasons that Patman has just listed.

I still have faith in Daish and I think he has made a few wrong choices with his recent signings but it doesn't make him a bad manager. The players are the ones on the pitch doing the business at the end of the day.

That doesn't make him a good manager! If he brought these players in to do a specific job they are not capable of doing, that is his fault!

Daish is a good manager and we all have seen that over the years. Something isn't right at the moment though. Doesn't mean he should get the boot. We're not struggling terribly just yet.

Billy McEwan is available!

For what it's worth I also feel that the criticism of Peter Hawkins is unjustified, he plays much better in the centre of defence and was fouled before the header for the goal.His distribution is also much better than some of the other centre halfs we have.

The only good thing about last night was the chicken and ham pie I had before the game.

Hawkins was solid last night, along with pooley. No blame can be apportioned - it was simply a brilliant strike on the volley from 30 yards.

Had we scored one like that we would have declared it a candidate for goal of the season.

I actually like the centre without Smith or McCarthy these days. Gone are the days where the first thought was to hoof it as far upfield as possible.

Now Lance uses throw outs more, and Hawkins, Pooley and Charles are better passers and more comfortable on the ball than the formers.

My preferred option would be to keep LD and AK until all the contracts expire in the summer. Depending on how many MYFC members re-enlist, set a strict and tight budget, based on about 10-12 full timers and about 8 part timers made up from local and ex-PASE players.

I am sure the non-playing staff budget could be refined too. Do we need 2 managers, fitness coach, Goalkeeping coach, physio, + Macca, Ian Docker? A Kent based manager is a must - so that he can give 40 -50 hours to the club every week.

No doubt all will be revealed in the summer.

That is one option, Alan.

I would seriously look at one local manager who is turning a few heads, with a Fleet connection as well - Tommy Warrilow.

Certainly with Macca and Docks runnning the first team, the PASE lads would get more chance than Liam has afforded them.

3 or 4 deserve a good go in the first team, or at least some chances coming off the bench. Players such as Springett, West, Callender and Nowotny would gain so much from the experience.

I missed last night's game - no bad thing by the sound of it

It is sad to see that the knives are out for Liam (although I would expect nothing less of you Hempstead Gaz)

Some of his selections seems odd at the moment - Slatter instead of Ricketts, Hawkins instead of Smith - but he remains a quality manager

Perhaps we should remember loyalty works two ways and you could not blame him for thinking about leaving if he was unwise enough to look at some of the comments on here

Some people need a reality check - we are not a big non league club that has been knocking on the door of the Football league for ages

However, if he did leave, we could always employ Tommy Warrilow to lead us into the Ryman South

As you said BB, you weren't there last night to hear the boos from all parts of the ground.

Virtually everyone must have thought that the team selection was wrong, the substitutions were both wrong in time and persnonnel.

If Liam walks, that will be his choice - as he will have to renegotiate a contract in the summer anyway.

If he is fired, then the reasons will be of his own making.

I haven't got knives out for Liam, I have said we should wait and see until the summer - then our board have some serious anf important decisi ns to make about the running of the club.

The managers job is just 1 of those decisions.

Originally Posted By: bilbo baggins
Or maybe Gary Aldous is available .. managers are like wives. You don't appreciate them until they leave you for the bloke next door (or a rival club in Oxfordshire)
This is a figure of speech
My wife has never left me for the bloke next door or a club in Oxfordshire

Who could also lead the Fleet into the Ryman South! He has never managed at this level!

Exactly, I'm wondering since when were we supposed to winning every game that we play? We have good patches and bad patches, all we can do is get behind the team and have a bit more faith in Liam. Booing isn't going to help the team is it? Nor is saying we should ditch Liam. We're not even too close to the relegation zone, a few wins from now we could be near the play-off positions.

By all means debate your preferred players, positions etc but I don't think there is enough that is wrong for people to be holding up their "Get Liam Out" banners.

This is all a bit OTT really although I agree with the thoughts about Ricketts and Slatter, who is obviously a midfielder.

Gash needs to have a rest. Ibe needs a run with Moore. That'll bring goals.

Hopefully we'll get a result against Bognor and I think we will do York as they are more woeful than us.

We are better than a team with years of League history* and that's not even mentioning Mansfield.

Believe.

*We must beat York now otherwise I will look like an idiot.

I think that we can all agree that this was an abject display, but it was only a couple of days before that we were purring about the performance.

The thing that worried me was resistance to change in tactics.

The great thing about playing three tight in midfield with Luke behind the forwards is that (when it works) we can move the ball in quick short passes, and can make chances and our more creative players are always available to receive the ball. When coupled with the use of the full backs to build the play, we look a very good football team.

The down side was visible on Tuesday. Neil, Stacy and Luke were non existant and Jamie Hand tried to get involved, but his touch, control and passing were abysmal. This midfield was unrecognisable from the previous game.

When things are not going well, we need an 'out ball'. This MUST come from wide areas and the way we were set up meant that there was nobody in these areas. That only left the big lump forward that never works.

This was self evident quite early on. What should (in my opinion) have happened is that Liam should have read the riot act at half time, given the players 10 minutes to correct things and when this did not happen we should have switched to a more traditional 4-4-2 with width and balance giving the players 30 - 35 minutes to turn things around.

Liam did this when he brought Karl on and switched George to the left and put Luke up front. Unfortunately, he did this with around 15 minutes left - not nearly enough time for it to make a real difference. And as for giving Kezie 9 minutes!

That is my tuppence worth anyway.

Here's to a return of the Weymouth performance on Saturday

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1
Originally Posted By: bilbo baggins
Or maybe Gary Aldous is available .. managers are like wives. You don't appreciate them until they leave you for the bloke next door (or a rival club in Oxfordshire)
This is a figure of speech
My wife has never left me for the bloke next door or a club in Oxfordshire

Who could also lead the Fleet into the Ryman South! He has never managed at this level!

doh Whoosh

Originally Posted By: Hannah
Exactly, I'm wondering since when were we supposed to winning every game that we play? We have good patches and bad patches, all we can do is get behind the team and have a bit more faith in Liam. Booing isn't going to help the team is it? Nor is saying we should ditch Liam. We're not even too close to the relegation zone, a few wins from now we could be near the play-off positions.

By all means debate your preferred players, positions etc but I don't think there is enough that is wrong for people to be holding up their "Get Liam Out" banners.

I agree with all of this - very well put

I am all for getting behind the team.

Booing, getting on players backs and cheering when the player you blame most for our woe's is substituted does not help the team play better.

But, when is it OK to start discussing people losing their jobs.

Is it when a team is in the relegation zone with six games till the end of the season or when a team is not matching their previous seasons efforts and are mainly playing bad football halfway through the season?

I tend to think that there is justification for the thoughtful complaints being aired about our lack of watchable football but think nearly all decision making should come after the Febuary MYFC renawal window. Who knows by then we could be sweeping all before us and MYFC membership could top 40,000................

I believe that other sides know we have a good midfield, so by pass it with the big kick. On Tuesday evening FGR done exactly that,not allowing our midfield to play, and when we did get the ball,it was normally deep in our own half, making us work through a very packed midfield, what with our passing being poor ,we very rarely broke through. So it was big boot again from FGR and we were back where we started.