Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

CCL Forum Refs assessment

Fellas,

this may not take off but thought i'd create a topic where as players, captains, managers, supporters etc etc we could mark a referee out of 10 for the match that they were involved in or watched and also give their comments. This may help us to establish if the only time we winge about a ref is when we lose!!

Probably not a good idea to name and shame unless absolutely necessary. On the other hand it would be nice to give good comments and mention their name.

Lets see.......

The Ref and his 2 assistants tonight were excellent the Refs name was MAU,the other Official was a chap with a greyish beard,and yours truly SMUDGE=10 OUT OF 10 at Croydon Municipal v Mole Valley

And the Ref said we could wear our LEAGUE APPROVED BLACK SHIRTS,but we wore the yellow ones instead.

Edited by Smudge

I'll start...

Tuesday 16th March... Cove 4-1 RPV

Dont have the refs name but do know him very well and remember him mostly due to his politeness and talking ability to players and his honesty when a decision he gets wrong he apologises for. Most of you on here will know him. Small coloured ref. Will add his name when i find out.

Mark 8/10 (only thing he got wrong all evening was when i made a tackle on the RPV centre forward 40 yds from our goal which cannoned the ball towards our keeper who then proceeded to pick the ball up as it wasnt a pass back but a good tackle. Ref then gave an indirect free kick 10 yds from our goal line.) He explained that the keeper had plenty of time to think about it and make a decision. In my opinion the keeper got it right and the ref wrong on this occasion. I spoke to the ref after and suggested he could have shouted towards the keeper that he was not allowed to pick it up. The referee agreed and felt he maybe should have taken a second or two to make a better decision.

All in all a very good ref who you can talk to, who makes mistakes but holds his hands up, who wont be bullied, never loses control and always involves the captain. 1 of my players could have been sent off last night for his mouth but for the referee asked me to deal with him, which i did. Top ref in my book!

I'll start...

Dont have the refs name but do know him very well and remember him mostly due to his politeness and talking ability to players and his honesty when a decision he gets wrong he apologises for. Most of you on here will know him. Small coloured ref. Will add his name when i find out.

Mark 8/10 (only thing he got wrong all evening was when i made a tackle on the RPV centre forward 40 yds from our goal which cannoned the ball towards our keeper who then proceeded to pick the ball up as it wasnt a pass back but a good tackle. Ref then gave an indirect free kick 10 yds from our goal line.) He explained that the keeper had plenty of time to think about it and make a decision. In my opinion the keeper got it right and the ref wrong on this occasion. I spoke to the ref after and suggested he could have shouted towards the keeper that he was not allowed to pick it up. The referee agreed and felt he maybe should have taken a second or two to make a better decision.

All in all a very good ref who you can talk to, who makes mistakes but holds his hands up, who wont be bullied, never loses control and always involves the captain. 1 of my players could have been sent off last night for his mouth but for the referee asked me to deal with him, which i did. Top ref in my book!

By the sound of it that was probably Dele Sotomorin

I'll start...

Yes it was. Just checked the match day programme.

Delighted to hear that Dele Sotimirin is still going strong. Haven't bumped into him this season yet, but remember him well from seasons past when I used to be Trams Secretary. He enjoys life to the full, never stops smiling, and never stops talking!!!! Ok ref, great bloke.

The Ref and his 2 assistants tonight were excellent the Refs name was MAU,the other Official was a chap with a greyish beard,and yours truly SMUDGE=10 OUT OF 10 at Croydon Municipal v Mole Valley

And the Ref said we could wear our LEAGUE APPROVED BLACK SHIRTS,but we wore the yellow ones instead.

Hang on a sec...you were running the line? Is this the debacle of which you alluded to?

/goes to check other threads

I'll start...

BEST REF I HAVE SEEN THIS SEASON (TWICE) IS THE BLACK REF WITH DREADLOCKS, DON'T KNOW HIS NAME - CAN ANYONE HELP ?

Tonight's ref at Cove v Dorking was, I think, the same guy who did Chessington v Dorking two days ago, although I may be wrong. I felt he was OK both times, a bit fussier tonight but 8/10 for Tuesday and 7/10 for tonight.

Woeful ref's performance last night at Levred / Merstham which as it's not CCL I won't bore you with the details but I would like to ask the officials present...

Have you ever given a penalty and then realised straigthaway afterwards that you'd made a mistake? If so, what have you done? Last night, he continued to give the pen but then told us later he knows he made a mistake. Didn't even it up for us and the pen changed the game. :zornig:

Been there, and I have reversed my decision and taken the stick for it. Ultimately, I want the decision to be absolutely correct where possible.

This is in the case where I have suffered from, shall we say, 'premature blowing'. Tackle in the area, player brought done, whistle blown... THEN I realised, "Actually, nothing wrong with that". Restart with drop ball after bringing the captains in and dealing with what happened!

It has to be immediate because otherwise you have REAL problems with match control if it even looks slightly like you have flip-flopped due to protestations.

Woeful ref's performance last night at Levred / Merstham which as it's not CCL I won't bore you with the details but I would like to ask the officials present...

Have you ever given a penalty and then realised straigthaway afterwards that you'd made a mistake? If so, what have you done? Last night, he continued to give the pen but then told us later he knows he made a mistake. Didn't even it up for us and the pen changed the game. :zornig:

I'd agree with all that, but the old swings and roundabouts syndrome rears it head, speaking to one of your supporters who was bang in line when the dug out lino gave Matt Fancis offside, and then was brought down by Chats, he said not even close to offside, which would have meant another pen and probably Ian walking, so they were crap for both sides,and I'm neutral by the by. But that official, Mr Ingram is absolutely awful, wether in the middle or on the line, how the hell have three assesors agreed his promotion ??? MINDBLOWING !!!

I can see it now Mewwy. You are at the altar and the Vicar says "Do you" and you look all flustered and then say you realised you made a mistake and award a drop ball between the vicar and bride :)

Promotion to what spy ?

To what ever level he's now at Kroons, to be able to line on the Ryman, I have seen him on a lot of occasions including 3/4 times last year and he couldn't even do a decent job in CCL div one, and if you ask anyone who saw his unbelievable ferformance on the line on the CCL prem earlier this year, Banstead v Croydon, you would know he simply is not good enough. going back to the 'ref bashing thread' of a couiple of weeks back, I don't know how we can get younger, more consistent, more experienced guys in the black, but there are too many officials at a level they cannot handle. In my reffing days (the 90's) i found that with my dodgy knees and 15st I wasn't up to the job to line the Suburban so I came off it, I know that dosen't help the overall reffing situation, but thats why I get soooooooooooo frustrated when I see someone not up to the job. I KNOW it's not their fault, I know the shortage is causing the problem, but the FA, and the referee's associaiton need to get together and come up with radical changes. Again haven't got a clue how to go about it, but something needs to happen or in ten/fifteen/tweny years the situation will be horrendous

Edited by spy