Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tues 22nd & Mon 28th Match Thread

Ash Utd 2 Frimley Green 1

Ash came out on top of this closely fought local derby

Frimley started well but slowly Ash got into the game but not many chances being made by either sides so at half time it was goalless. The second half Ash came out looking more determined & took the lead  with a good finish. They had good chances to increase the lead but on the break Frimley opened up Ash & equalised. The game flowed end to end but it was Ash who got the winner when a cross saw the frimley keeper come to claim but got caught up with his own defender & ash forward which only saw him managed to punch the ball into his own net. The game continued to flow end to end but in the end Ash held on to gain another win

Don't agree with Carthorse there about the match being ruined by the referee at Horley. The referee was excellent and consistent with himself particulalrly good on giving one or two seconds to see if an advantage occured then giving the free kick . About the only thing he missed was the punch thrown by the Horley 9 in the goalie holds onto the ball after the goal tussle which was solved by all 3 participants getting yellow.

In a sense we paid for that consistency as the equaliser was another close range handball penalty(elbow??) although we paid for missing the chance to clear our lines in the last knockings.Both handballs were close range and he either had to give neither or both It at least saved Horley from more red cards as they calmed down after that and at the time had completely lost it . 

The sending off was for a kick as the players were running together which the ref did well to spot and Epsom's second penalty resulted from two reckless challenges on our player which the ref clearly saw which were clearly visible up our end which he let go for a second to see if the follow up shot would be scored from , as he had all game . 

Could equally say the game was ruined by Horley chosing to play dirty but I won't . The hoo hah in the second half at least livened up what was a turgid first half as both sides struggled with the heavy muddy conditions and made it more like a traditional feisty Epsom Horley game. I can't remember the last one where no one got sent off.

Horley Town 2 Epsom & Ewell 2

Horley took a deserved lead in the first half with a well taken goal by Ashley N. Second half saw Epsom the stronger side but Horley holding on until skipper Liam Cox was sent off (No idea why did not see it) Epsom got back into the game with a hand ball and a penalty scored by ex Horley foward Kylie Hough. Then Epsom were awarded another penalty which nobody else saw apart from the referee again Kylie Hough scorered. In the clsoing minutes and elbow by Epsom saw Town awarded a penalty and Ashley scored from the spot to send both team home with a point. A game destroyed by poor refereing for both sides.  

I guess on the day a point each was fair interesting to see what Epsom thought?

Our match report from the draw at Horley Town is here:

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/Fix2015.16-32.html

I would agree with Carthorse that a draw was a fair result. Horley certainly had the better of possession in the first half and although the number of good chances were similar, Horley took one of theirs and we didn't. Without doubt the sending off changed the game and I can confirm it was for kicking out at our player. I'll be honest, I was surprised to see a red card for it but the ref clearly saw it as he stopped the game immediately while most of us were following the ball. From this point, Horley did get very aggrieved.

Our two penalties that followed were for a handball and then a reckless challenge that did get a bit of the ball, but also went straight through the player too and in this day and age, you just can't tackle like that, especially in the area. The handball one caught me by surprise as it was almost as if only one of our players seemed to appeal but the Assistant was right on it and to be fair, he had the best view in the ground of anyone.

The penalty against us was given for a close range handball, not an elbow and it was interesting to see that despite the penalty, no card was issued to our defender who had a yellow card by that point. As the other Epsom supporter (welcome!) said on this thread the referee was consistent in appearing to give the same, possibly harsh handball decisions at both ends. He also made excellent use of the advantage law and no one from either side appeared to query anything in the first half. It was just when things started to go against them that Horley lost the plot a bit and as also referred to earlier in the thread, the Horley 9 should have gone for having a full swing at Kyle when all he was trying to do was retrieve the ball from the net after our equalising penalty.

Believe me there are far worse refs out there as anyone who saw our match at Bedfont Sports will tell you, and we will still be paying for that until the end of February. This ref made some big decisions and appeared to get most of them right. 

Nice to see your Manager being gracious in defeat afterwards. Not! He told us as he walked past that Horley aren't good enough to win the league and then followed it by saying that we aren't either and that the other three (Hartley, Camberley, Ashford) would be well clear at the end of the season. He may be right, although we have already won at Ashford and drawn at Hartley so I would choose to disagree at this point. 

If anyone would like to look at the pictures on our website they will see the state of the pitch we had to deal with yesterday. "It's the same for both sides", and "it's winter what do you expect" I've heard it before, but we play better on a better surface as most people know and it was hard to gain any sort of foothold on it whatsoever. Hartley are due there on 12th January, assuming the game is on, so we'll find out how they get on, because if Horley lose that game, then any faint title hopes they may have had are over.

Good result for Camberley yesterday and I agree it was probably a "must win" game really and not just for them. If Hartley had got a win at Camberley then it would have been difficult to see where they were going to drop many points going forward so having Ashford, ourselves and Camberley that little bit closer will keep Hartley under pressure. Two years ago we started well but when we slipped behind South Park it got easier for them as no one challenged them enough because Epsom and Camberley were just too far adrift and they cruised to the title as a result. This year hopefully it will be a closer battle and if Hartley do win it, they will deserve it. 

Edited by E&E Rich

Big JR u finished your jobs now? Glad u got to a game does this mean u might make a trip to Horley to watch a Dorking game?

Could well do Hurdy.  You never know.  Meadowbank would be better for me, of course !

Our match report from the draw at Horley Town is here:

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/Fix2015.16-32.html

I would agree with Carthorse that a draw was a fair result. Horley certainly had the better of possession in the first half and although the number of good chances were similar, Horley took one of theirs and we didn't. Without doubt the sending off changed the game and I can confirm it was for kicking out at our player. I'll be honest, I was surprised to see a red card for it but the ref clearly saw it as he stopped the game immediately while most of us were following the ball. From this point, Horley did get very aggrieved.

Our two penalties that followed were for a handball and then a reckless challenge that did get a bit of the ball, but also went straight through the player too and in this day and age, you just can't tackle like that, especially in the area. The handball one caught me by surprise as it was almost as if only one of our players seemed to appeal but the Assistant was right on it and to be fair, he had the best view in the ground of anyone.

The penalty against us was given for a close range handball, not an elbow and it was interesting to see that despite the penalty, no card was issued to our defender who had a yellow card by that point. As the other Epsom supporter (welcome!) said on this thread the referee was consistent in appearing to give the same, possibly harsh handball decisions at both ends. He also made excellent use of the advantage law and no one from either side appeared to query anything in the first half. It was just when things started to go against them that Horley lost the plot a bit and as also referred to earlier in the thread, the Horley 9 should have gone for having a full swing at Kyle when all he was trying to do was retrieve the ball from the net after our equalising penalty.

Believe me there are far worse refs out there as anyone who saw our match at Bedfont Sports will tell you, and we will still be paying for that until the end of February. This ref made some big decisions and appeared to get most of them right.

Nice to see your Manager being gracious in defeat afterwards. Not! He told us as he walked past that Horley aren't good enough to win the league and then followed it by saying that we aren't either and that the other three (Hartley, Camberley, Ashford) would be well clear at the end of the season. He may be right, although we have already won at Ashford and drawn at Hartley so I would choose to disagree at this point.

If anyone would like to look at the pictures on our website they will see the state of the pitch we had to deal with yesterday. "It's the same for both sides", and "it's winter what do you expect" I've heard it before, but we play better on a better surface as most people know and it was hard to gain any sort of foothold on it whatsoever. Hartley are due there on 12th January, assuming the game is on, so we'll find out how they get on, because if Horley lose that game, then any faint title hopes they may have had are over.

Good result for Camberley yesterday and I agree it was probably a "must win" game really and not just for them. If Hartley had got a win at Camberley then it would have been difficult to see where they were going to drop many points going forward so having Ashford, ourselves and Camberley that little bit closer will keep Hartley under pressure. Two years ago we started well but when we slipped behind South Park it got easier for them as no one challenged them enough because Epsom and Camberley were just too far adrift and they cruised to the title as a result. This year hopefully it will be a closer battle and if Hartley do win it, they will deserve it.

Gracious in defeat!! We didn't lose!

At the end of the game all players and managers shook hands as they should.

In my opinion Richard as I said to you was we and you are not good enough to win the league, I'm intitled to my opinion as you are.

At least I said it to your face and bot behind your back!!

There's a long way to go, but we are happy with a top 5 finish with our young local players and building for the future.

Your regime is different so good luck.