Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 23rd January Match Thread

The report from our defeat at Windsor is here:

http://www.eefconline.co.uk/Fix2015.16-34.html

Has to be said, I didn't see this coming at half time. We were a goal up and although Windsor were beginning to have more possession, our keeper had seen little action.

A quick word for the officials. The main talking point was in the first half, when our defender appeared to catch their number 11 who limped off not long after. From where I was, it looked a foul and the fairly foul mouthed Windsor fans standing at the wrong end of the ground near me also thought so, but the referee was much better positioned and had a different angle so you had to respect the decision.

It was only after the game when our full back told me that he had fouled him!! As he said to the Windsor 11 though, "I don't blow the whistle".

Final word goes to the Windsor tannoy announcer who may or may not have been the same one that criticised us publicly for wasting time a couple of seasons ago, despite the fact that the delay was caused by a foul on our captain that led to one of their players being sent off and our man being out for a fortnight. This time he referred to an "enforced" substitution when their 11 limped off, clearly referencing that he had been fouled and that the ref had made a mistake. He made no reference to our first half substitution, also as a result of injury so equally "enforced".

This is out of order and when clubs like ours pick up three month bans for players for patting an Assistant on the shoulder under the "respect" category, Windsor need to do something about this, as I can't believe it just happens games against us.

Not strictly CCL, but I'd like to congratulate Dorking Ladies on their first match after their Christmas break.

Elstead Ladies  0 - 15 (FIFTEEN) Dorking Ladies.

Onwards and Upwards Matt and all The Ladies.

I posted this recently in a separate thread titled 'Postponements':

" I can't speak for referrees at Supply League (CCL) but those of us at Contributory League (Isthmian / Southen Leagues) are advised by the FA to, in effect, let the clubs make the decision to play or not for us. By that I mean the following: if both clubs are happy to play, play; if one club is not happy to play, then don't play; and, if neither team is happy to play, then don't play. Clearly, best practice would be for a pitch inspection to be done in consultation (i.e. in the presence of officials from both teams) but that is not always practicable and an early pitch inspection is often required. In those cases the decision is the referee's to make himself based on a range of factors such as the existing condition of the pitch, groundsman's advice and prevailing weather factors. Personally, if I have any doubt I would err on the side of caution."

And here is the problem gluck, erring on the side of caution is much more frequent these days and is also an extremely vague and ambiguous term. The Health and Safety aspect seems to be more and more of a concern, and regardless of Krooner's point regarding the rarity of someone being sued, the fact is that the threat exists. "Better to avoid that conversation" I can imagine the ref thinking. 

Asking both teams if they want to play may well be a situation that occurs from time to time, indeed we were asked at Knaphill this season, but more often or not a Manager's decision on whether or not to play will be far more likely to be determined by whether they are a bit short that day, or conversely whether they are at full strength. Being older than the players, they all would have played in far worse conditions than the ones they are being asked to make a judgement on. 

Just supposing...... the F.A. made a statement that if the referee calls it on, then there can be no legal comeback and getting clubs to confirm such an action in a disclaimer placed with their club affiliations each season, would remove this "threat" in this increasingly litigious society. I bet we would see more games played, because make no mistake, and I have seen this while working through the Isthmian League and Combined Counties bulletins recently, FAR more games are being postponed than at this stage ten years ago, with exception of the monsoon season of 2000/01 and the winter of 1962/63, both freak occurrences by anyone's standards.

It is a winter sport. Most games at our level will continue to be played on grass / mud / sand for the next twenty years and unless we want them all played in August or April we need to get a grip and err less on the side of caution. 

And here is the problem gluck, erring on the side of caution is much more frequent these days and is also an extremely vague and ambiguous term. The Health and Safety aspect seems to be more and more of a concern, and regardless of Krooner's point regarding the rarity of someone being sued, the fact is that the threat exists. "Better to avoid that conversation" I can imagine the ref thinking. 

Asking both teams if they want to play may well be a situation that occurs from time to time, indeed we were asked at Knaphill this season, but more often or not a Manager's decision on whether or not to play will be far more likely to be determined by whether they are a bit short that day, or conversely whether they are at full strength. Being older than the players, they all would have played in far worse conditions than the ones they are being asked to make a judgement on. 

Just supposing...... the F.A. made a statement that if the referee calls it on, then there can be no legal comeback and getting clubs to confirm such an action in a disclaimer placed with their club affiliations each season, would remove this "threat" in this increasingly litigious society. I bet we would see more games played, because make no mistake, and I have seen this while working through the Isthmian League and Combined Counties bulletins recently, FAR more games are being postponed than at this stage ten years ago, with exception of the monsoon season of 2000/01 and the winter of 1962/63, both freak occurrences by anyone's standards.

It is a winter sport. Most games at our level will continue to be played on grass / mud / sand for the next twenty years and unless we want them all played in August or April we need to get a grip and err less on the side of caution. 

The first defence of a referee being sued for playing on a dangerous pitch is the fact that no-one forces anyone to play on it.  If a player deems it too dangerous then he can withdraw himself from the game and not put himself in harms way.

E&E Rich - that's harsh. I suspect you sat next to the PA Announcer in the Boardroom at some stage, as it was Club Founding Director Kevin on the PA! It was an enforced substitution...Levi tried his best to overcome the injury. No malice in Kevin's "commentary" of the substitution. Some might argue they prefer the deafening silence of other CCL grounds to Kevin's PA work, but it adds to the experience! Don't read anything into it.

Maybe I wouldn't have read anything into it if we hadn't encountered the same issues two seasons previously. Whether it was the same person I don't know.

Windsor are a lovely club and have a lovely ground. I have been going there since 1983 and usually enjoy my visits, regardless of the result.

However, there is a time and a place and there was no need for the word to be used. As I say, one of our players clearly limped off a few minutes later but there was no mention of that one being enforced despite it being equally obvious.

I just hope for your case the referee doesn't report it.

The first defence of a referee being sued for playing on a dangerous pitch is the fact that no-one forces anyone to play on it.  If a player deems it too dangerous then he can withdraw himself from the game and not put himself in harms way.

Back in the real world mate, that has probably never ever happened, not even in Sunday league.

A Manager might have considered refusing to play on occasions but couldn't possibly carry out that threat,because we all know that would lead to a huge fine and the probable loss of points or a cup tie. So actually, once a referee deems it playable then in reality you are forced to play on it.

I really hope we never see these sort of things get tested in court, but a simple disclaimer would remove any shadow of doubt. The only other answer, which is a cop out really, would be to reduce the number of teams in leagues at our level to 18 so there are more spare dates to cover the enormous number of postponements. However, that would be harsh on clubs like your own, or for Ashford, Chertsey and Windsor who also get their games on regularly.

Unless you can think of any other sensible reason why we get approximately three times the number of games called off each season than we used to, because I can't.

Just watched the Cambo match video

All they do Is smash it long and you must have a sore neck watching them especially their 4th goal couldn't watch that every week !!

Weeble. I would suggest that Camberley had a game plan to play against us, specifically, which they executed to perfection.

Match highlights can distort ones perception as to what actually happens over 90 minutes of play.

We watched Camberley beat Spelthorne in the league cup recently and they played some great team passing football in their 5-1 win.

One of our players recently trialled for a Ryman South club and he said he touched the ball about 5 times in his 65 minute appearance citing a "long ball game" played by both teams. He played centre midfield!!!! I have a feeling that Camberley can mix and match at ease according to oppo and conditions.

Maybe I wouldn't have read anything into it if we hadn't encountered the same issues two seasons previously. Whether it was the same person I don't know.

Windsor are a lovely club and have a lovely ground. I have been going there since 1983 and usually enjoy my visits, regardless of the result.

However, there is a time and a place and there was no need for the word to be used. As I say, one of our players clearly limped off a few minutes later but there was no mention of that one being enforced despite it being equally obvious.

I just hope for your case the referee doesn't report it.

Rich, it isn't the same person as two seasons ago but I can assure you there was no hidden agenda there as Kevin hasn't got an ounce of malice in him, in fact I sometimes wish he did have a bit of a nasty streak but that won't ever happen !!!! 

I do however agree with you in that it didn't need to be said and I've tried to tell him that sometimes 'Less is more' as the PA announcements should be simple, straightforward, factual and informative but it seems you put a microphone in people's hands and they all want to be Jonathan Pearce ie make comment about everything other than the game itself !!!  Like I say there's no malice but he tends to want to 'Fill out' whatever info he's giving as if people are interested in opinions - I was always taught 'If you've got nothing to say, say nothing'. 

Anyway, on to your match report and I had to have a chuckle at your comment about the 'Bobble' as it may have actually been Karma as prior to that one of your players kicked up quite a big divot and instead of replacing it in the hole he picked it up and chucked it about twenty yards - maybe that was the 'Bobble' that caused him to fluff his shot ????  LOL.

Weeble. I would suggest that Camberley had a game plan to play against us, specifically, which they executed to perfection.

Match highlights can distort ones perception as to what actually happens over 90 minutes of play.

We watched Camberley beat Spelthorne in the league cup recently and they played some great team passing football in their 5-1 win.

One of our players recently trialled for a Ryman South club and he said he touched the ball about 5 times in his 65 minute appearance citing a "long ball game" played by both teams. He played centre midfield!!!! I have a feeling that Camberley can mix and match at ease according to oppo and conditions.

I said it with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and it was aimed at certain posters

Camberley play football and play it well

Their 4 th goal is a lovely piece if football

Tel, valid point, theres not too much wrong with the grass on the pitch (very soft in places) but its the 70 or so tram lines across the width of the pitch that's the problem !!! Or as one person has called it "it resembles an NFL pitch"

But I guess this is what happens when you don't maintain your "own" pitch?

Its a shame that home team Guildford have to play on the pitch every other week, I hope for their sake that with more TLC it will be a good playing surface next season.

I said it with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and it was aimed at certain posters

Camberley play football and play it well

Their 4 th goal is a lovely piece if football

Ah, I see. Just got up dear boy. Bit slow on the uptake. My apologies. 

Its a shame that home team Guildford have to play on the pitch every other week, I hope for their sake that with more TLC it will be a good playing surface next season.

The quicker GCFC (or the authority) can get on their at the end of the season the better. IMHO, if they can get the new seeding to knit quickly then it will be better next season and even better the following season. One issue they may have is field athletics on there in the summer though! That will NOT help at all. I would prefer not to comment now on the quality of work as I will await the "end product"! We had issues in our first season after renovation but it is better this season at Wibbandune. We have yet to have a game off through waterlogging in the past 2 seasons!  :)

Back in the real world mate, that has probably never ever happened, not even in Sunday league.

A Manager might have considered refusing to play on occasions but couldn't possibly carry out that threat,because we all know that would lead to a huge fine and the probable loss of points or a cup tie. So actually, once a referee deems it playable then in reality you are forced to play on it.

I really hope we never see these sort of things get tested in court, but a simple disclaimer would remove any shadow of doubt. The only other answer, which is a cop out really, would be to reduce the number of teams in leagues at our level to 18 so there are more spare dates to cover the enormous number of postponements. However, that would be harsh on clubs like your own, or for Ashford, Chertsey and Windsor who also get their games on regularly.

Unless you can think of any other sensible reason why we get approximately three times the number of games called off each season than we used to, because I can't.

Perhaps there were more resources available then and more volunteers able / prepared to spend the time maintaining a pitch too? Similarly, no two teams, relatively speaking, have the same quality pitch, and wear and tear on a pitch may be dependent on the number of games played on it during a season (youth, Ladies, Sunday, ground-share).

Ah, I see. Just got up dear boy. Bit slow on the uptake. My apologies. 

Looking at the time of your post Chris, I assume the cider was flowing well last night !!

:bolt:

Rich, it isn't the same person as two seasons ago but I can assure you there was no hidden agenda there as Kevin hasn't got an ounce of malice in him, in fact I sometimes wish he did have a bit of a nasty streak but that won't ever happen !!!! 

I do however agree with you in that it didn't need to be said and I've tried to tell him that sometimes 'Less is more' as the PA announcements should be simple, straightforward, factual and informative but it seems you put a microphone in people's hands and they all want to be Jonathan Pearce ie make comment about everything other than the game itself !!!  Like I say there's no malice but he tends to want to 'Fill out' whatever info he's giving as if people are interested in opinions - I was always taught 'If you've got nothing to say, say nothing'. 

Anyway, on to your match report and I had to have a chuckle at your comment about the 'Bobble' as it may have actually been Karma as prior to that one of your players kicked up quite a big divot and instead of replacing it in the hole he picked it up and chucked it about twenty yards - maybe that was the 'Bobble' that caused him to fluff his shot ????  LOL.

:) I hadn't seen that!

It just shows how good your surface was that a bobble made it into the match report!