Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday 14th February

Re: Twitter

Club Secretaries were sent following yesterday

6.2. After a meaningful discussion on referees’ appointments and welfare, the committee’s attention was called to another incident involving comments on social media. Clubs are reminded that they will be held responsible for what they post on the web.

Has there been a problem?  <_<

Noticed last week Oxhey Jets had a major gripe about the ref v Berko on twitter.

Did Oxhey Jets lose that game by any chance? Blaming Refs because your team has lost or played sh*t gets boring.

They did, but whilst I have no idea about the validity of the decisions, I understand the referee gave three penalties in the match - all to Berko!!

Whilst this is mainly a SSML Forum - the game was a County Cup fixture and as such the officials appointed by the respective County FA

As an official, it's so easy to lay blame on us.  There's so many people who like to complain about us, but yet have the bottle or desire to step up and officiate a match themselves.  If the team(s) feel there was a problem with an official, go through the appropriate channels and not blub on about it on social media.

No one blames referees per say  but they get paid, fed and watered at clubs expense. So we expect that they referee at the right standard, too many cards and too many incorrect decisions. The best referees explain their issues with us but some are just not good enough

No one blames referees per say but they get paid, fed and watered at clubs expense. So we expect that they referee at the right standard, too many cards and too many incorrect decisions. The best referees explain their issues with us but some are just not good enough

Sometimes they take an easy option and don't use the cards enough!!!!!!

Uncle T and Dailydose.  I understand where you're coming from.  I hope the clubs use the appropriate channels to voice their concerns and give feedback.  I get feedback from my referee association on matches I do, whether good or bad.  I have made mistakes in a match as well.  I always strive to be professional and as you rightly say, I get paid for the match.  I arrive at the match in plenty of time, check the pitch, nets etc, check players equipment etc, etc.

Mistakes happen, but if there's a referee who's consistently doing poorly (in the eyes of the team) but no feedback is being given.  Nothing will get corrected.  

Also, is there a shortage of referees that is having an effect too.  Are referees getting moved up to a higher level so they can cover these matches?  

Finally, we still have to remember we referee for the love of the game.  That's why we do it and enjoy it.  It's not our full time career.  Food for thought.

No one blames referees per say  but they get paid, fed and watered at clubs expense. So we expect that they referee at the right standard, too many cards and too many incorrect decisions. The best referees explain their issues with us but some are just not good enough

A typical Spartan Premier official will be out of their house for at least five hours and will generally receive £30-£40 worth of recompense for his or her troubles. Deduct petrol and you are probably below the National Minimum Hourly Wage!

Obviously there will be some officials not up to scratch and many who have occasional 'bad days at the office' but do we really believe that overall officiating standards on the league are lower than overall playing standards??

The clubs are run by volunteers who do not get paid and put everything together to set up a match. On a match day this will start around 1300 and we will not finish until 1900 ish. This happens every Saturday and then on a Tuesday much of the same. The preparation takes a bit of doing and the pitch may take several days of hard work to prepare. The amount of red tape is staggering really from pink bibs to submitting the program to the league, never ending. Then on top the costs of running the club, the fines are getting silly.

Do referees know that 6 offences in a game costs the club £150 fine plus £10 admin fee. When the club gets 10 dissent caution another £150 and another £10 admin fee.

I bet all clubs get these every season.

We just want a good standard referee, the playing standard is quite good  but the silly penalties and cautions spoils it all.

We do report the referee via the required channels and there are a lot of low marks this season.

The clubs are run by volunteers who do not get paid and put everything together to set up a match. On a match day this will start around 1300 and we will not finish until 1900 ish. This happens every Saturday and then on a Tuesday much of the same. The preparation takes a bit of doing and the pitch may take several days of hard work to prepare. The amount of red tape is staggering really from pink bibs to submitting the program to the league, never ending. Then on top the costs of running the club, the fines are getting silly.

Do referees know that 6 offences in a game costs the club £150 fine plus £10 admin fee. When the club gets 10 dissent caution another £150 and another £10 admin fee.

I bet all clubs get these every season.

We just want a good standard referee, the playing standard is quite good but the silly penalties and cautions spoils it all.

We do report the referee via the required channels and there are a lot of low marks this season.

If players stopped making stupid reckless challenges then they won't be cautioned. They do deserve it most of the time. The only people who think otherwise has either not refereed before or don't fully understand the rules and regulations of football

If players stopped making stupid reckless challenges then they won't be cautioned. They do deserve it most of the time. The only people who think otherwise has either not refereed before or don't fully understand the rules and regulations of football

Surely they are laws and not regulations

I struggle with a couple of things.

Mind your language - refs need to stamp this out immediately. Refs have respect from everyone until players and management start taking the Michael, seeing that they can get away with it. I've said it before, first and foremost, they need to respect themselves. Nip it in the bud early, they would automatically gain control.

Who does the assessing? I've seen refs at their worst at the same time as the assessors but they continue to ref at this level. It puzzles me.

Anyone can make a mistake, as you said above. Players make it hard appealing for everything and I see it time and time again where the team that shouts loudest gets decisions. Not mentioning any names..... but it rhymes with Taldock Bown.