Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hx 2 Horsham 1

cup of tea

Great result today. Real squad effort against a well organised side. From my perspective, it looks like Horsham like to overpower sides - close players down, quick to the tackle and a bit of physicality in there as well. Think we matched them in that department and I think we were also the more skilful (although I am biased!).

Disappointing plan B from them which seemed to be somewhat (ahem)  theatrical with their captain (6) leading the way on that. Also please someone explain to their no 2 how the offside rule works as well, that was embarrassing. 

Great game Ricky Hayles played a blinder and loving the passion from Chris Dickson when he scored what turned out to be the winner. Very happy Urchin tonight.

This was not the slickest or nicest game of football from the Urchins today but it was a gutsy and well disciplined performance which deserved all 3 points and a vital 3 points to keep in the hunt for top spot at the end of the season.

Well done to all the players and management for their hard work I'm looking forwards to FA Trophy next week.

Up the Urchins 

From the Horsham Match report:  

This was indeed a hard-fought game on a scruffy pitch but few would argue that the hosts weren’t worth the win. From the off they bullied The Hornets and made sure they let them knew they were in a contest fighting back from a goal down ...

Can’t argue with the scruffy pitch but there’s little we can do about that because of the athletics club. A lot of work goes into maintaining the pitch but there’s only so much the staff can do. I’ve seen worse this season

Hi all I don't know if you are aware but there's a bit of sour grapes from Horsham supporters and there're ass manger on Twitter, I  always stand on has beens hill, and a half time we came back to where we stand and Horsham had put a flag out and where singing, I think they got a shock as there were quite a few of us yesterday, and a few them decided to move, then eventually they took the flag down  ,there was a bit of banter nothing out of the ordinary but the way it's been put on  Twitter that they felt threatened is a load of rubbish. 

35 minutes ago, Mick the bat said:

Hi all I don't know if you are aware but there's a bit of sour grapes from Horsham supporters and there're ass manger on Twitter, I  always stand on has beens hill, and a half time we came back to where we stand and Horsham had put a flag out and where singing, I think they got a shock as there were quite a few of us yesterday, and a few them decided to move, then eventually they took the flag down  ,there was a bit of banter nothing out of the ordinary but the way it's been put on  Twitter that they felt threatened is a load of rubbish. 

Overheard the chap with the yellow puffa jacket saying he did not feel threatened. Obviously others did

6 hours ago, cup of tea said:

Can’t argue with the scruffy pitch but there’s little we can do about that because of the athletics club. A lot of work goes into maintaining the pitch but there’s only so much the staff can do. I’ve seen worse this season

They have obviously forgotten what a real pitch looks like, as they have a 3G/4G pitch now! ?

1 hour ago, Mick the bat said:

Myself and Ann have also seen comments on twitter and i was standing in the area myself for some of the second half.  

The Horsham fans were asked not to cover advertising with their flag but were not asked to move anywhere else as has been hill is not exclusively dedicated to home fans. 

No foul or abusive language towards either set of fans in that section was seen or heard and banter seemed friendly rather than threatening, unless your offended by the Beatles yellow submarine song.

It all reads on twitter as sour grapes from a team and fans who believed they were going to win.

42 minutes ago, PONY TAILED URCHIN said:

Myself and Ann have also seen comments on twitter and i was standing in the area myself for some of the second half.  

The Horsham fans were asked not to cover advertising with their flag but were not asked to move anywhere else as has been hill is not exclusively dedicated to home fans. 

No foul or abusive language towards either set of fans in that section was seen or heard and banter seemed friendly rather than threatening, unless your offended by the Beatles yellow submarine song.

It all reads on twitter as sour grapes from a team and fans who believed they were going to win.

It’s what I thought happened , thank you for confirming that. Certainly no abuse of the opposing fans from the Eastside

Guys and gals - the tweets are the views of one or two individuals.  Social media is not fact - and rarely does it reflect the opinions of the majority (just check any political nonsense on twitter for example). But it is a good place for people who struggle with normal face-to-face communication to voice their views or prejudices in a safe environment, especially after the event.  So - I'd ignore and move on.   Responding just legitimises the debate with people who have a lot of time on their hands to get in the last word - so probably will (generally 20-something media graduates and the like!).  I suspect the majority of Horsham fans (and players) simply felt they'd had a hard day at the office but felt nothing threatening - certainly there were plenty in the bar chatting with the Urchin faithful after the game.

BUT - and I have been meaning to post this for a while - I do think there are one or two individuals at The Bridge whose language and attitude is simply not acceptable. 

There is one bloke on the Eastside (been coming for a year or so I think), and another on The Hill who I witnessed for the first time yesterday whose constant (and vile) abuse of the officials and opposition players is simply unfunny and must put many people off.  Both are in the 50+ age group. I actually left the Hill at half time because of the latter bloke.   Note that none of this was specifically directed at Horsham fans (nor the lady physio for that matter) - but it's not a good advert for the club or for new visitors.

I'm no snowflake.  Passion is important and well placed insults and swearing are all part of the game, especially if done humorously. In fact a new fan mentioned to me that he'd heard banter on the Eastside that he'd not heard in years at West Ham and will be coming back for sure.  But I do think we fans (especially the readership of the forum who tend to be relatively balanced) need to self-regulate some of these newcomers.   This, I think, is much more worthy of debate than some random/lone Horsham fan's comments on twitter. 

Well said Jage. I'm no angel when it comes to using ripe language but times move on and there's no place for casual, repeated use of the C-word anymore; certainly not on the Hill with kids around.. Great to see new fans but we don't need that; it'll put people off coming again.

11 hours ago, Jago said:

Guys and gals - the tweets are the views of one or two individuals.  Social media is not fact - and rarely does it reflect the opinions of the majority (just check any political nonsense on twitter for example). But it is a good place for people who struggle with normal face-to-face communication to voice their views or prejudices in a safe environment, especially after the event.  So - I'd ignore and move on.   Responding just legitimises the debate with people who have a lot of time on their hands to get in the last word - so probably will (generally 20-something media graduates and the like!).  I suspect the majority of Horsham fans (and players) simply felt they'd had a hard day at the office but felt nothing threatening - certainly there were plenty in the bar chatting with the Urchin faithful after the game.

BUT - and I have been meaning to post this for a while - I do think there are one or two individuals at The Bridge whose language and attitude is simply not acceptable. 

There is one bloke on the Eastside (been coming for a year or so I think), and another on The Hill who I witnessed for the first time yesterday whose constant (and vile) abuse of the officials and opposition players is simply unfunny and must put many people off.  Both are in the 50+ age group. I actually left the Hill at half time because of the latter bloke.   Note that none of this was specifically directed at Horsham fans (nor the lady physio for that matter) - but it's not a good advert for the club or for new visitors.

I'm no snowflake.  Passion is important and well placed insults and swearing are all part of the game, especially if done humorously. In fact a new fan mentioned to me that he'd heard banter on the Eastside that he'd not heard in years at West Ham and will be coming back for sure.  But I do think we fans (especially the readership of the forum who tend to be relatively balanced) need to self-regulate some of these newcomers.   This, I think, is much more worthy of debate than some random/lone Horsham fan's comments on twitter. 

I'd hold my hands up, my language at times gets rather fruity but is usually directed at the refs who have been decent (not last week thou)this season and diving  players ,but these 2 guys take it to another level .

It's just disappointing because those individuals spoil it for the rest of the fans and it gives a bad impression to anyone else that's visiting the ground. Also give ammunition to the aforementioned media graduates (think it was sociology degrees that were frowned upon in my time as a student!).

Hope that something is said in future home games.

There is a sign at the club stating we are a family club and abusive foul language and behaviour will not be tolerated. I think this sign if we can find it should be posted in the ground again but it upsets me we should need to do this.

Archived