Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Leighton Town

An interesting article from today's on-line Leighton Buzzard Observer:

Leighton expecting the season to be declared null and void

Leighton Town acting chairman Steve Harris believes the 2020/21 season will end up being declared null and void.

The early stages of the season had suggested a promising time ahead for Leighton with seven wins from their first 10 Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division matches while they had also reached the fourth round of the Buildbase FA Vase before things came to a halt.

But, with matches seemingly no closer to resuming at the current time, there appears to be an acceptance that a second campaign in a row will be ended with no records of it to be kept.

Clubs from Step 3 and below were recently asked to fill in a Football Association survey so the governing body could come to a decision.

However, it remains unclear as to when that decision will actually be made.

Harris, who has been in the role of acting chairman since Alan Penman stepped down in September, said: “I think it’s inevitable in view of the number of games that have been played.

We have only played 10 league games but we would happily be promoted on points per game because we would be top from that perspective! But we are behind on that because we are still in the FA Vase.

I think it will end up being null and void but it also depends on what the Football Association wants to do because I know there is some restructuring they want to do.

There has been the survey but we are probably a bit cynical in that the FA will decide what to do, almost irrespective of what the clubs think.

But have had absolutely nothing in terms of a timescale of when this will all be resolved.

I have had some supporters texting me and asking what’s going on but they all know as much as I do.

The lack of football hasn’t done a great deal for non-League clubs across the country with many, no doubt, feeling the pinch in terms of finances.

Clubs between Steps 3 and 6 have been given the chance to apply for government grants to help see them through the winter but Harris is comfortable with how things are at Bell Close.

We have just had quite a lot of work done in the clubhouse, during the previous lockdown and that is all done,” he added.

"So, as a club, we are all keyed up and ready to go again.

There is now another grant out there for us to apply for but financially, I am not worrying unduly. I am not desperate to put a Crowdfunding page out there.

The club hit the buffers around five years ago but since then it has been turned around and we have done a couple of hundred pounds worth of ground improvements and we’re quite financially stable. We are pleased with where we’re at.”

Leighton expecting the season to be declared null and void | Leighton Buzzard Observer (leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk)

Edited by Rhodes

Bell Close fairly recently, Karen would have no doubt had many postponed fixtures to deal with during January and February and have to re-arrange however that is obviously no consolation:

Billede

'Criminally' Danny Webb hadn't featured at all for Hemel Hempstead Town since an FA Trophy tie at Bromley on 19 December (see below) prior to this evening's (Tuesday) National League South fixture against Havant & Waterlooville at Vauxhall Road however, wait for it, Danny wasn't brought on by Lee Bircham until the 88th minute with Hemel Hempstead Town leading 2-0 having sat on the bench all evening in sub zero temperatures: 

Billede

I had forgotten that Leighton Town had met Leiston previously in the FA Trophy First Qualifying Round, under Craig Bicknell's stewardship, during the 2014/15 campaign and when a Southern League Division One Central Club. Following a 2-2 draw at Leiston, with goals from Phil Draycott and Tyrone Taylor, where they really should have won the tie having lead 2-0 at the break, Craig's men were then very disappointingly beaten 5-2 at Bell Close in the replay despite taking an early lead through Danny Watson who scored again from the spot late on, see match reports from both Club's: 

Match Report: Leiston FC 2 - 2 Leighton Town F C : First Team

Match Report: Leiston 2 - 2 Leigton Town : 1st Team (leistonfc.co.uk)

Match Report: Leighton Town F C 2 - 5 Leiston FC : First Team

Match Report: Leigton Town 2 - 5 Leiston : 1st Team (leistonfc.co.uk)

Edited by Rhodes

Sorry folks, I'm struggling at the moment and wish more members would post. This is what people are sadly missing out on at present at Bell Close, home made chocolate cake which is presumably on sale in the Clubhouse on match days, the Club must make a killing and they also seem very generous portions. I wonder whether Leighton Town would have been in the FA Vase Quarter Final last Saturday (6 February), I'm pretty certain they would have taken care of Walton & Hersham or Guildford City in the Fourth Round and received a favourable Fifth Round draw:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

7 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Sorry folks, I'm struggling at the moment and wish more members would post. This is what people are sadly missing out on at present at Bell Close, home made chocolate cake which is presumably on sale in the Clubhouse on match days, the Club must make a killing and they also seem very generous portions. I wonder whether Leighton Town would have been in the FA Vase Quarter Final last Saturday (6 February), I'm pretty certain they would have taken care of Walton & Hersham or Guildford City in the Fourth Round and received a favourable Fifth Round draw:

Billede

We have a Tea Bar/Hot Food Hut, that is run by a woman called Jackie and her husband. Not in the clubhouse. 

All their pies, pasties, sausage rolls, chicken curry, fajita wraps, chips are all homemade and they serve burgers, bacon and sausages too. As well as the homemade cakes and other snacks. 

Best food in the Spartan (with Arlesey/Baldock coming close).

On 10/02/2021 at 01:40, Rhodes said:

'Criminally' Danny Webb hadn't featured at all for Hemel Hempstead Town since an FA Trophy tie at Bromley on 19 December (see below) prior to this evening's (Tuesday) National League South fixture against Havant & Waterlooville at Vauxhall Road however, wait for it, Danny wasn't brought on by Lee Bircham until the 88th minute with Hemel Hempstead Town leading 2-0 having sat on the bench all evening in sub zero temperatures: 

Billede

Ryan Kinnane aka Stretch ? is ex Hanwell Town, Berkhamstead, Hayes & Yeading, Harefield United and he is a top guy and a decent player ? I didn't know that he now played for Hemel.

Bircham? On the bench?

On 11/02/2021 at 22:29, AlwaysLeighton said:

We have a Tea Bar/Hot Food Hut, that is run by a woman called Jackie and her husband. Not in the clubhouse. All their pies, pasties, sausage rolls, chicken curry, fajita wraps, chips are all homemade and they serve burgers, bacon and sausages too. As well as the homemade cakes and other snacks.

AlwaysLeighton - So Jackie makes exceedingly good cakes then, sorry I couldn't resist although you are probably too young to remember the Mr Kippling adverts. One thing I noticed was the generous portion of the cake in the photograph, half that would suffice wouldn't it. I don't know if anyone remembers Mrs Haynes at New Bradwell St Peter back in the day, the first thing Division One Club's did each season was check when they played away to New Bradwell St Peter, and everyone else prayed they drew them away in the Challenge Trophy, as her cakes were so good although at that time the fixtures were only issued one month to six weeks ahead by Karen's predecessor HTFCew who used to post on here too.

Edited by Rhodes

No doubt our friend AlwaysLeighton took this photograph too with the heading on Twitter 'Bell Close is an absolute fortress', that sounds like him all over. One thing about Bell Close though is that it is a groundhoppers dream with all the clear signage for photographic purposes both inside the ground and outside:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

No doubt our friend AlwaysLeighton took this photograph too with the heading on Twitter 'Bell Close is an absolute fortress', that sounds like him all over. One thing about Bell Close though is that it is a groundhoppers dream with all the clear signage for photographic purposes both inside the ground and outside:

Billede

Well, the fact that it was posted by an account called Non-League Statistics would probably mean it wasn’t me.

58 minutes ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Well, the fact that it was posted by an account called Non-League Statistics would probably mean it wasn’t me.

AlwaysLeighton - It was more the words used which was why I automatically assumed it was you 'Bell Close is an absolute fortress' sounds like something you would say. I always admire your huge enthusiasm and love for the Club, you won't hear a bad word said against them will you such as Connor Calcutt being disappointing since his arrival and the young chavs who tend to give Leighton Town a reputation but that's not a criticism of you as it's great that you wear your heart on your sleeve.

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - It was more the words used which was why I automatically assumed it was you 'Bell Close is an absolute fortress' sounds like something you would say. I always admire your huge enthusiasm and love for the Club, you won't hear a bad word said against them will you such as Connor Calcutt being disappointing since his arrival and the young chavs who tend to give Leighton Town a reputation but that's not a criticism of you as it's great that you wear your heart on your sleeve.

To be fair, I’m happy to say Connor Calcutt was disappointing, certainly did not live up to the potential he has, however, he really brought into Leighton as a club and had nothing but praise for the place as a whole. Top bloke as well. 

I like our reputation, it’s fun to play around with and I like the way it winds people up. 

AlwaysLeighton - Coming back to Scott Reynolds if I may (sorry), there was a thread on the Forum just before the 2017/18 campaign started and posters called LeightonLad and LeightonHatter were very optimistic about Scott taking the reins, I don't know whether you know who they are. They predicted it was going to be a good season whereas Stingray, who I hadn't realised until recently is a Leighton Town fan, wasn't so enthusiastic and predicted a 14th place finish, how little he knew:

22 hours ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - Coming back to Scott Reynolds if I may (sorry), there was a thread on the Forum just before the 2017/18 campaign started and posters called LeightonLad and LeightonHatter were very optimistic about Scott taking the reins, I don't know whether you know who they are. They predicted it was going to be a good season whereas Stingray, who I hadn't realised until recently is a Leighton Town fan, wasn't so enthusiastic and predicted a 14th place finish, how little he knew:

I suppose predictions are few and far between. As we’ve discussed before, the definition of the 17/18 season is one that can be argued.

AlwaysLeighton - I think there are going to be a lot of people who disagree with you about Scott and the 2017/18 campaign under him, okay it was perhaps ill advised to up sticks and leave Bell Close for Haywood Way at the end of that season but you can't blame him for being ambitious. I think that's your problem as you are blaming Scott for leaving when he did and have a chip on your shoulder, if he hadn't left and the Club had achieved promotion back to the Southern League the following season, which no doubt they would have done, he would have been the best thing since sliced bread.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - I think there are going to be a lot of people who disagree with you about Scott and the 2017/18 campaign under him, okay it was perhaps ill advised to up sticks and leave Bell Close for Haywood Way at the end of that season but you can't blame him for being ambitious. I think that's your problem as you are blaming Scott for leaving when he did and have a chip on your shoulder, if he hadn't left and the Club had achieved promotion back to the Southern League the following season, which no doubt they would have done, he would have been the best thing since sliced bread.

I don’t quite understand what you’re on about? 

Not once have I blamed Scott for leaving, Rhodes. I’ve explained my points about him in great length. 

I’d reiterate the fact you told me you had not seen Scott’s Leighton team play, nor met the man. So to say we would have no doubt gone up the following season, is frankly ill-judged. 

AlwaysLeighton - Apologies if there has been any misunderstanding however you do appear to have an unfair dislike of Scott and although, as you said, you have explained your reasons in great length, he still took you to fourth in the table that 2017/18 campaign and to the Quarter Finals of the FA Vase masterminding that great 4-3 win at Wolverhampton Sporting Community in the Fifth Round. One of the reasons you gave for not liking Scott was that he was apparently 'more bothered about looking good on a post match interview than he was about coaching his squad of players', I think that's a bit below the belt, the interview that I recently posted after you beat London Tigers 7-0 in April 2018 was really impressive to watch and the eloquent way in which Scott spoke:

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

AlwaysLeighton - Apologies if there has been any misunderstanding however you do appear to have an unfair dislike of Scott and although, as you said, you have explained your reasons in great length, he still took you to fourth in the table that 2017/18 campaign and to the Quarter Finals of the FA Vase masterminding that great 4-3 win at Wolverhampton Sporting Community in the Fifth Round. One of the reasons you gave for not liking Scott was that he was apparently 'more bothered about looking good on a post match interview than he was about coaching his squad of players', I think that's a bit below the belt, the interview that I recently posted after you beat London Tigers 7-0 in April 2018 was really impressive to watch and the eloquent way in which Scott spoke:

It’s absolutely spot on and sums him up perfectly. Personally, I don’t think he deserves anymore air time so I’m hanging my gloves up. 

AlwaysLeighton - Fair enough and I'm sorry for going on about it, I just think you are being a bit hypocritical that's all as I'm sure you were jumping for joy at Wolverhampton Sporting Community on Saturday 10 February 2018 when Alex O'Brien calmly slotted home that penalty (see below) to make it 4-3 and also at the final whistle. I take it you are in a lot of the photographs, I thought the inflatable was rather unsavoury and uncalled for:

Wolverhampton Sporting CFC v Leighton Town | Flickr

WSCFC v LTFC-739

Edited by Rhodes