Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Shutdown

THE SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS FOOTBALL LEAGUE

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

After careful consideration the Management Board of the Spartan South Midlands Football League has decided that all league and cup fixtures within the League will be suspended with immediate effect, that is from and including Saturday 14 March 2020, until further notice or until advised differently by the Football Association.  

The League will keep the situation under constant review and will update clubs as and when information is made available by the Authorities.

We hope that all clubs will understand the reasons behind this decision and look forward to your usual support and co operation.

Mike Appleby

General Secretary

Spartan South Midlands League

13 March 2020 

I'm afraid it had to happen, Karen.

Clubs are undoubtably going to suffer revenue loss.

Is it better to be safe than sorry later ??

Most thought that this winters weather would mess the season up which it has at times but now we have this.

Is this season already over? as this is not going away anywhere fast is it.

Also strange that most of the National League fixtures are going ahead today? :shocked2(2):

18 hours ago, Big J R said:

Is it better to be safe than sorry later??

Big J R - That is my least favourite expression which I constantly hear, what is it supposed to mean, you'll be saying 'prevention is better than cure' next

Big J R - Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you or anything, I think we have all been feeling rather down in the mouth today, numb, disappointed and frustrated that there hasn't been any action to get our teeth into and we have no idea for how long the suspension is likely to go on for. In the SSML's somewhat woolly statement, it said 'until further notice or until advised differently by the Football Associationbut what is that supposed to mean, how long is a piece of string. It also went on to say that the League will keep the situation under constant review and will update Clubs as and when information is made available by the Authorities', again what is that supposed to mean. Lastly, it said that 'we hope that all Clubs will understand the reasons behind this decision and look forward to your usual support and co operation', which is fair enough and obviously we will always support the SSML in everything they do, and abide by its decisions, but it doesn't make us feel any better does it.

Some Middlesex County League matches were played today but most of the Middlesex County League matches were postponed. How does it/that work? If both teams agree to play then do they play the match? What if one team wants to play the match and one team doesn't want to play the match? Who's decision wins? Do both teams have to agree for the match to be postponed?

The Kingston & District Football League had a full Saturday programme of matches today.

I see that the Hertfordshire Comet local newspaper have got wind of the story but don't really offer their humble opinion other than to say local Club's London Colney and Colney Heath are affected by the SSML suspension

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/football/ssml-postpones-all-their-football-fixtures-for-covid-19-1-6560246

Winslow Boy - So if you are right then Colney Heath, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United will be crowned Champions of their respective divisions, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United both on goal difference, St Panteleimon wouldn't be best pleased with that would they having led for pretty much all season and with two games in hand of New Salamis

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I have my suspicion that the league will abandon the season

Yep this season is done I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Winslow Boy - So if you are right then Colney Heath, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United will be crowned Champions of their respective divisions, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United both on goal difference, St Panteleimon wouldn't be best pleased with that would they having led for pretty much all season and with two games in hand of New Salamis

Not if it’s declared void. 

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Spot on Winslow Boy and that's what will happen in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Why would it be though after all that effort between 3 August and 14 March, I don't think that it will be and, like I said, Colney Heath, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United will lift their respective division winners trophies sky high

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Why would it be though after all that effort between 3 August and 14 March, I don't think that it will be and, like I said, Colney Heath, New Salamis and Old Bradwell United will lift their respective division winners trophies sky high

Is there a percentage of a season that has to be played before the titles can be awarded?

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I agree with you, my feeling though is it will be suspended and declared void. The FA will then move teams as they see fit in the restructuring, whether they are in promotion or relegation positions. It’ll be a lot of wasted money and endeavour for many sides. What can they do though? You can’t give titles and relegate teams with so many games yet to play and the reality is they won’t be played. The knock on effects of promotion and relegation up and down the pyramid is going to be huge one way or another. 

IMO the league/FA will determine the final league table by taking the points per games played ratio. Thus leaving St Panteleimon  deserved Champions. The FA will then take that into consideration when making the huge structural change, Many teams will probably avoid relegation because of the change anyway. If you take league 1 for example. St Pants, and Salamis will move league, Stotfold and Wilmslow will go in the Premier. Rayners Lane (5th on that calculation) will likely move as well. 

An open letter from Biggleswade United Chairman Guillem Balague to everyone at Second Meadow:

Billede