Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The return of football?

AnfieldTowner

The FA appear to have pressed the start button on the return of non-league football:-

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jul/17/grassroots-guidance-for-competitive-football-restart-in-england-170720

Essentially, training can resume now, friendlies in August and leagues can start in September.

Curiously, changing rooms are to remain closed - but it looks like fans will be allowed on a socially distant basis?

...although the guidance appears contradictory on the subject of spectators. I'm also not sure how it fits with Boris' speech yesterday when he seemed to indicate no spectators before October?

One of the attachments seems to suggest 30 spectators may be a maximum? - which would put us back to square one!

At present, our government seems to be announcing new measures, virtually every day, to get the Country back to some degree of normality before Christmas. Small wonder there is plenty of confusion AT. I am sure we will be hearing plenty more about this during the coming days, though not sure how high non-league football is on their agenda right now!

Despite these announcements I can’t see how football can take place at non league level while there is a need to social distance , where players have work commitments away from football and when it’s necessary to self isolate for 14 days if you come into contact with someone who tests positive. 
If a player plays on Saturday tests positive on Monday everyone who played in that game or was involved needs to self isolate for two weeks.  Therefore can’t play again for two weeks but more significantly may not be able to work for two weeks.

On 19/07/2020 at 23:00, Richard Katemon said:

Despite these announcements I can’t see how football can take place at non league level while there is a need to social distance , where players have work commitments away from football and when it’s necessary to self isolate for 14 days if you come into contact with someone who tests positive. 
If a player plays on Saturday tests positive on Monday everyone who played in that game or was involved needs to self isolate for two weeks.  Therefore can’t play again for two weeks but more significantly may not be able to work for two weeks.

Sounds like a nightmare but in reality it's unlikely a worst case scenario would happen...You could say that same things about everyday life...Ie.If someone who worked at a supermarket tested positive the whole store would have to close for two weeks whilst every staff member had two weeks off.And all the thousands of customers that used the shop  would have to isolate for two weeks.That scenario doesn't stop places of business from opening and i don't think it will stop football matches going ahead.

I have to agree with Richard.

Rate of infection has not really declined though number of deaths, as treatment seems to improve, has got better. If we are to control the pandemic then restrictions have to remain. If football at non-league level is to resume it seems that we are going back to "herd immunity" which seems to me a perfectly rational reaction though unfortunate.

The disease is out there as there was not sufficient reaction to it at the beginning. The latest I have heard is that 6% of the population have had contact with the virus. (Between 26 April and 8 July, 6.3% of people tested positive for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 on a blood test, suggesting they had the infection in the past. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england17july2020  )

On this basis I estimate that most of us have been in contact with the virus but have recovered or did not become ill as our immune system dealt with it. It is said that the antibodies may not remain in the body so people can become reinfected. My wife states that she knows of a household where there are 4 members all of which tested positive for the virus. Now 3 test negative for the virus but one still has the virus so they cannot return to work. (Note tests positive for the virus but is not ill)

In the beginning the illness was deadly but now there are survivors, though it hs left many with debillitating condtions, though not, it appears our PM who is requesting many to return to work.

If football does return then I will go. I do not think that football at our level can survive with restrictions on numbers attending.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your frustration OT but in view of the current virus there is very little to comment on. Even then from top to bottom very few people know what will happen next.

In the past few weeks many of us have been concentrating trying to keep the club going by making donations. On which much has already been said.

However, I am sure many will return to air there thoughts once we hear more about the position about the playing staff for next season, when ever it starts. SO far we know about ground improvements but nothing much relating to team affairs. So as far as I am concerned for once I have very few observations to make. It seems that once again we are left with having to learn from outside sources about who is leaving but very little, if anything at all, about those staying or coming. 

Even if the was no Virus, I have learnt that under this current playing management this position is to be accepted as the norm. Consequently until there is movement on this aspect I feel I have very little constructive to add. 

I will await further developments and will continue to read the forum regularly and will enter again once I feel I have something to contribute. 

In the mean time I wish that everyone will stay safe.

I think we're in the usual situation that we find ourselves in at this point in the season (albeit there are probably quite a few more unknowns and other factors at play for obvious reasons). Bottom line, until we sign players, it makes sense to keep our cards close to our chest so as not to alert other clubs of who we are looking at. I know this is frustrating, but am happy to be patient in this respect if the board / management think this is the correct approach.

Anyway, I hope everyone on here is healthy, not too bored and coping as best as they can with the situation we find ourselves in - I'm really looking forward to some non league footie in the near future, especially if we have the chance to safely watch it!

I have started to read the guidance.

In several aspects I cannot see how the guidance can be complied with and grass roots football or even Premiership football can take place with the following guidance.

"Competitive match play is now permitted, however, in all settings before and after matches all participants should practise social distancing"

Ok there is no requirement for social distancing during play but can they really expect standing spectators to socially distance themselves.

"The nature of football means that the ball is not frequently handled. When the ball goes out of play it should not be retrieved by non-participants and should be retrieved using the feet rather than the hands where possible. Where there are breaks in the game, or training, if throw-ins or handling has occurred the ball should be disinfected. Further guidance on disinfecting can be found"

So when the ball goes out of play and over the first fence we need spectators with the appropriate ball control to kick the ball over the fence. Some spectators at the ground have difficulty throwing the ball over the fence let alone kick it.

"Goal posts and corner poles should be wiped down before matches, after matches and at half time"

I can understand the need to disinfect the goal posts as goalies and even defenders at corners do tend to hold the goal posts but corner flags! Why not ban handling the corner flag, it is not often that the players handle the flag and generally it is when they have slid into it.

So should the following be added,  "Spectators cannot lean on the fence".

I have reported that spectators and coming to a game have accepted some risk and even players themselves playing have accepted some risk. It is for the club to minimise the risk but no matter what they do they cannot eliminate it.

How about this,

"Competitive training can take place for all participants, in an outdoor setting provided this takes place in groups of no more than 30 (including coaches).

Competitive match play is permitted, with social distancing in place before and after the session, and in any breaks in play".

30 players! with subs there are 32 players around the ground not counting the ref and the managers coaches.

Social distancing, what about subs warming up, how many more benches will be needed to have separation of the subs and management.

It is my view that the guidelines are not practical.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 16:17, Steph1 said:

So should the following be added,  "Spectators cannot lean on the fence".

you can also add

no programs to be sold

no tea's coffee's to be sold

bar not to be opened  too many in the bar

it goes on and on where do you draw the line

no 50/50 golden goal !!!!!!

When you see the situation developing in Rugby League  you have to question if it’s appropriate to restart football at our level  

Complying with the guidance is going to be very challenging with the burden falling on unpaid volunteers. 

Maybe it would be better to skip a season and restart in August 2021.

Discuss.   

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/rugby-league/53746240

Archived