Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

V Tonbridge Angeles

Sir Rebel1965

I'm not sure why everyone's complaining. This was an excellent afternoon's entertainment, watched in a carnival-like atmosphere in front of a bumper crowd of 647. We got to see 7 goals, Tonbridge's Scott Wagstaff's "dying swan" act (in which he was the victim of an imaginary foul), Tonbridge's team thinking they'd heard an imaginary whistle (allowing Scott an open goal, which was hilarious) and Slough's Rohan Luthra's "wet hen" act (where he panicked and flapped whenever the ball went near him). I also saw some men in Amber shirts (Slough players I think) run around aimlessly, like they were extra's in a Benny Hill skit.

As for the football, we certainly didn't deserve to lose. That we did was down to a combination of injuries, the referee, Jupiter not aligning with Saturn, and Tonbridge really being Barcelona in disguise.

The table is starting to take shape now, and we're bottom. But we don't need to pay attention to that, as the league table lies all the time.

8 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I'm not sure why everyone's complaining. This was an excellent afternoon's entertainment, watched in a carnival-like atmosphere in front of a bumper crowd of 647. We got to see 7 goals, Tonbridge's Scott Wagstaff's "dying swan" act (in which he was the victim of an imaginary foul), Tonbridge's team thinking they'd heard an imaginary whistle (allowing Scott an open goal, which was hilarious) and Slough's Rohan Luthra's "wet hen" act (where he panicked and flapped whenever the ball went near him). I also saw some men in Amber shirts (Slough players I think) run around aimlessly, like they were extra's in a Benny Hill skit.

As for the football, we certainly didn't deserve to lose. That we did was down to a combination of injuries, the referee, Jupiter not aligning with Saturn, and Tonbridge really being Barcelona in disguise.

The table is starting to take shape now, and we're bottom. But we don't need to pay attention to that, as the league table lies all the time.

Be careful with that positivity!

I think Scott Davies must have run over a black cat, as apart from the Rebels first goal nothing seemed to run well for our team today.

I'm loathe to criticise Slough on this forum tonight unlike some are already. I didn't think Tonbridge were much better than Slough. How can Scott legislate for two goalkeeping errors at such crucial times?

To me at half time Slough were very much in the game and had more than matched the distinctly average Tonbridge,though admittedly neither side had made the most of the game. The wheels truly fell off for the Rebels in the second half but these things happen when gaffes are dropped and players get injured.

I would forget this game and go back to the drawing board. Trouble is Slough have to go to Dartford on Tuesday !

I think Scott might be better to sit this game out and put the emphasis on a 4-4-2 and go back to basics as it was almost like we over complicated our play today but have we got another fit player to play next to Temi besides Scott, with Dan and Tyresse missing? 

I would consider using Matt Lench at left back for the Dartford match and use Josh either in his favoured right back slot or use him alongside Temi in the middle of defence,as we need something to change back there,as things are simply just not working out defensively, as we  conceded too many goals today and thus ended up being a shambles back there late in the game. It reminded of the time when Bakes and Unders decided Ryan Parsons was not up to it and brought Paul Stonehouse in at left back. Tyrese Dyce is a quality player from what I've seen of him but if he is prone to injury we may need to find another solid left back[who could cover at centre half] like a Paul Stonehouse and let the good on the ball but lightweight Joe Dandy leave. Trouble is Dan Bayliss is missing more games than he is playing,too and although I thought Joe had a better game today in the three man centre of defence [until injury] he was still nervy at points in the game.It looked like Chris Winton has been working with Joe and this is a good thing but our back line up is changing too often and now this is leading to our centre midfield dropping back to help out,which in turn leaves the opposition exploiting the space.

We also need a forward to hold the ball up and shield the ball from opposition defenders and act as a go through player. A young version of Jefferson Louis would be handy !  I thought George and Nathan played ok today and both had moments of brilliance but do they play well together yet? Obviously we need to persist with them but we need to have alternatives from the bench.Where was Tom McElroy today?        

Let's forget today and move on !

Before today's game most supporters would agree that we've played reasonably well without getting the results our play has deserved, mainly due to players continually gifting a goal or two, not being clinical enough or opposing defenders have defended for their lives as in the Chippenham game.

There's no denying that to a man every player was well below par with goals coming from some really poor or calamitous defending. 

I don't think I'm being over critical in saying that imo all 5 goals conceded were the result of player error or a player just not doing their job properly. 

I'm not excusing the players that were on the pitch but we did have quite a few players missing through injury and to be frank the players that replaced them or were moved to a different position just didn't step up to the mark. 

I've resisted naming names but I'll just add that sometimes confidence starts from the back and after taking the lead to then go and give away a goal to a calamitous mistake doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  

Edited by Reading Rebel

33 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

I think Scott Davies must have run over a black cat, as apart from the Rebels first goal nothing seemed to run well for our team today.

I'm loathe to criticise Slough on this forum tonight unlike some are already. I didn't think Tonbridge were much better than Slough. How can Scott legislate for two goalkeeping errors at such crucial times?

To me at half time Slough were very much in the game and had more than matched the distinctly average Tonbridge,though admittedly neither side had made the most of the game. The wheels truly fell off for the Rebels in the second half but these things happen when gaffes are dropped and players get injured.

I would forget this game and go back to the drawing board. Trouble is Slough have to go to Dartford on Tuesday !

I think Scott might be better to sit this game out and put the emphasis on a 4-4-2 and go back to basics as it was almost like we over complicated our play today but have we got another fit player to play next to Temi besides Scott, with Dan and Tyresse missing? 

I would consider using Matt Lench at left back for the Dartford match and use Josh either in his favoured right back slot or use him alongside Temi in the middle of defence,as we need something to change back there,as things are simply just not working out defensively, as we  conceded too many goals today and thus ended up being a shambles back there late in the game. It reminded of the time when Bakes and Unders decided Ryan Parsons was not up to it and brought Paul Stonehouse in at left back. Tyrese Dyce is a quality player from what I've seen of him but if he is prone to injury we may need to find another solid left back[who could cover at centre half] like a Paul Stonehouse and let the good on the ball but lightweight Joe Dandy leave. Trouble is Dan Bayliss is missing more games than he is playing,too and although I thought Joe had a better game today in the three man centre of defence [until injury] he was still nervy at points in the game.It looked like Chris Winton has been working with Joe and this is a good thing but our back line up is changing too often and now this is leading to our centre midfield dropping back to help out,which in turn leaves the opposition exploiting the space.

We also need a forward to hold the ball up and shield the ball from opposition defenders and act as a go through player. A young version of Jefferson Louis would be handy !  I thought George and Nathan played ok today and both had moments of brilliance but do they play well together yet? Obviously we need to persist with them but we need to have alternatives from the bench.Where was Tom McElroy today?        

Let's forget today and move on !

Only two goal keeping errors? I think you're being generous 3spirit.

Have to say I nearly choked when you suggested that we put Matt Lench, our best midfield player at left back.

It won't happen anyway mainly because he's now injured. 

As for Scott leaving himself out imo he's been one of our best players so not sure that would be a good move.

Tyrese came off injured against Chippenham and today was the first game he's missed through injury.

Agree there's been no mention of Tom McElroy since he's been left out of the squad, is he injured or just not with us anymore?

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Windsor Rebel said:

Piss poor. This is what we need to do before it is too late:

(a). Get rid of Scott Davies and get a manager in who is experienced at this level.

(b). Ditch these ex Bracknell/Chesham players who are out of their depth in NLS

Enough said

Give Scott a chance. He did well enough last season when thrown in the deep end and I think Slough fans should give him some leeway, as his squad has been decimated by injuries at crucial times this season.

We may be currently bottom of the table but things can change quickly. The board backed him with the Temi signing. They may need to back him again to bring in better quality than we have in key positions. 

I don't believe we are as bad as a bottom of the table team but we have too many players picking up injuries.What are we doing with them at training?

This time around the goalkeeper experiment with professional league loan players is not working out as well as it did with Will Dennis but even he took time to settle,so let's not jump the gun just yet on this factor either. Slough were never going to be a play off team this season. I can't see why there is such an overeaction to a few losses. Anybody would think we are the Man City of non league football ! 😄

7 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Give Scott a chance. He did well enough last season when thrown in the deep end and I think Slough fans should give him some leeway, as his squad has been decimated by injuries at crucial times this season.

We may be currently bottom of the table but things can change quickly. The board backed him with the Temi signing. They may need to back him again to bring in better quality than we have in key positions. 

I don't believe we are as bad as a bottom of the table team but we have too many players picking up injuries.What are we doing with them at training?

This time around the goalkeeper experiment with professional league loan players is not working out as well as it did with Will Dennis but even he took time to settle,so let's not jump the gun just yet on this factor either. Slough were never going to be a play off team this season. I can't see why there is such an overeaction to a few losses. Anybody would think we are the Man City of non league football ! 😄

I might have a short memory but I don't recall Will Dennis taking time to settle.

13 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Having players back from injury which would allow players to play in their proper positions would help.

You need to remove the rose tinted glasses RR, this squad of players even if fully fit will not reach the expectations touted pre-season, it’s as simple as that!

When they have all been fit and available we’ve still lost.

3 points from 21 available tells you all you need to know but of course, it doesn’t matter yet!

6 minutes ago, michaelSTFC said:

Scott Davies' post match interviews are usually quite honest , but the one he just gave after Tonbridge was brutal.

Where is it??? 

12 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Slough were never going to be a play off team this season. I can't see why there is such an overeaction to a few losses. Anybody would think we are the Man City of non league football ! 

We survived by 3 points last season. To hope for an improvement this season is not unreasonable. Every game could be vital. So far we've taken 3 points from a possible 21. That's why people are panicking. 

11 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Only two goal keeping errors? I think you're being generous 3spirit.

Have to say I nearly choked when you suggested that we put Matt Lench, our best midfield player at left back.

It won't happen anyway mainly because he's now injured. 

As for Scott leaving himself out imo he's been one of our best players so not sure that would be a good move.

Tyrese came off injured against Chippenham and today was the first game he's missed through injury.

Agree there's been no mention of Tom McElroy since he's been left out of the squad, is he injured or just not with us anymore?

The reason I said Matt Lench at left back is I didn't think it worked that well today with Josh playing there, and it is no different to when Slough/Chesham played James Dobson there,in fact I feel as a temporary measure it would work.

While I agree Scott has been one of our better players since he took on the player manager role I feel he could do with making himself sub for a couple of games and trust his players to do the work. Hence my notion to go back to the trusted 4-4-2 for a few games as Slough are chopping and changing personnel and formations too much to address for the needs of players who are missing, and for accomodating players who are not really up to the job, and to try and change our fortunes around. I'm not suggesting Scott should hang up his boots but I think we could give him a rest and see how we get on without him from the off for a few games. Trouble is what has happened to Dan Bayliss?

11 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

The reason I said Matt Lench at left back is I didn't think it worked that well today with Josh playing there, and it is no different to when Slough/Chesham played James Dobson there,in fact I feel as a temporary measure it would work.

While I agree Scott has been one of our better players since he took on the player manager role I feel he could do with making himself sub for a couple of games and trust his players to do the work. Hence my notion to go back to the trusted 4-4-2 for a few games as Slough are chopping and changing personnel and formations too much to address for the needs of players who are missing, and for accomodating players who are not really up to the job, and to try and change our fortunes around. I'm not suggesting Scott should hang up his boots but I think we could give him a rest and see how we get on without him from the off for a few games. Trouble is what has happened to Dan Bayliss?

If Lenchy has a hamstring problem, you cannot risk that, he’s out for 2-3 weeks minimum depending on the severity… Fingers crossed it’s just a strain!!

I think we have to go 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 to be perfectly honest but that’s me, what do I know!

Edited by Wycombe Rebel