Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

V Tonbridge Angeles

Sir Rebel1965

12 minutes ago, Windsor Rebel said:

Absolute  bollocks on this forum.

Scott Davies is out of his depth.

And so are the ex  Bracknell/Chesham/Beaconsfield players

I get that you are not happy Windsor Rebel but there's no need to swear and be insulting to those posters you don't agree with.

I don't share your opinion on Scott Davies as manager but I do think you have a point about some of the signings we've made, and that certain players are not living up to their billing. That said there's no doubting that we do have a lot of injuries currently and this has played a big part in a lot of our losses and has certainly disrupted Slough's fluency/cohesion on the pitch.

IMO I think Scott needs more time to turn around these disappointing results.    

1 hour ago, Wycombe Rebel said:

If Lenchy has a hamstring problem, you cannot risk that, he’s out for 2-3 weeks minimum depending on the severity… Fingers crossed it’s just a strain!!

I think we have to go 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 to be perfectly honest but that’s me, what do I know!

Of course you can't play Lenchy if he has this injury. We are getting no luck with injuries. Another big player we may have to do without.

13 hours ago, 3spirit said:

The reason I said Matt Lench at left back is I didn't think it worked that well today with Josh playing there, and it is no different to when Slough/Chesham played James Dobson there,in fact I feel as a temporary measure it would work.

While I agree Scott has been one of our better players since he took on the player manager role I feel he could do with making himself sub for a couple of games and trust his players to do the work. Hence my notion to go back to the trusted 4-4-2 for a few games as Slough are chopping and changing personnel and formations too much to address for the needs of players who are missing, and for accomodating players who are not really up to the job, and to try and change our fortunes around. I'm not suggesting Scott should hang up his boots but I think we could give him a rest and see how we get on without him from the off for a few games. Trouble is what has happened to Dan Bayliss?

James Dobson had one half decent game at left back, they tried him there again a couple more times and he was horrendous.

What I don't get is why you think our best midfield player, when he is fit, should be played at left back. 

We know that Josh is better at right back and that he had a very poor game today at left back but surely no manager in his right mind would even consider putting Matt Lench at left back. 

Again it seems counter productive if Scott dropped himself when he's been one our better players.

Most of the 'chopping and changing' has been unavoidable due to players being injured or players not performing.

Dan Bayliss is injured and was sitting in the stand today.

Edited by Reading Rebel

6 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

James Dobson had one half decent game at left back, they tried him there again a couple more times and he was horrendous.

What I don't get is why you think our best midfield player, when he is fit, should be played at left back. 

We know that Josh is a better right back and he had a very poor game today at left back but surely no manager in his right mind would even consider putting Matt Lench at left back. 

Again it seems counter productive if Scott dropped himself when he's been one our better players.

Most of the 'chopping and changing' has been unavoidable due to players being injured or players not performing.

The problems are not with Scott's management, but with those who now have a new toy and want to tinker with it having never managed the running of a football club before!

Scott knows this level of football and higher and has demonstrated he has the contacts and been loyal to the club and fans.  The wannabes have only been involved with teens football and are only interested in lining their pockets at the expense of the fans and the club's reputation, their tinkering is the problem.

Edited by Sir Rebel1965

I was at the match yesterday and having seen Scott's post match interview I'm very impressed with his passion and honesty. He kept us up last year when we looked doomed (around November/ December) and I believe he will keep us up again. It's still very early days and I'm sure we will see a lot more changes to the side both in terms of personnel and tactics  in the coming weeks and months. For me, we need to find a way to feed and unleash  George Alexander as he is capable of scoring enough goals to send us much higher in the League. Also, a settled defence of wise heads will make a crucial difference. I was very impressed again with David Ogbonna when he came on late yesterday too. He creates problems for the opposition and opens them up with his tireless running. 

Keep the Faith. 

2 hours ago, Sharpediver said:

I was at the match yesterday and having seen Scott's post match interview I'm very impressed with his passion and honesty. He kept us up last year when we looked doomed (around November/ December) and I believe he will keep us up again. It's still very early days and I'm sure we will see a lot more changes to the side both in terms of personnel and tactics  in the coming weeks and months. For me, we need to find a way to feed and unleash  George Alexander as he is capable of scoring enough goals to send us much higher in the League. Also, a settled defence of wise heads will make a crucial difference. I was very impressed again with David Ogbonna when he came on late yesterday too. He creates problems for the opposition and opens them up with his tireless running. 

Keep the Faith. 

The way we unleash George Alexander is to have a functioning midfield that will create the chances for George.

David Ogbonna has a lot of ability and does create problems for defenders but if I'm being honest he needs to improve his end product which is probably the reason why he's not been a regular in the team. A prime example was yesterday where he a beat a couple of players got into a dangerous position and then over hit his cross.

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

The problems are not with Scott's management, but with those who now have a new toy and want to tinker with it having never managed the running of a football club before!

Scott knows this level of football and higher and has demonstrated he has the contacts and been loyal to the club and fans.  The wannabes have only been involved with teens football and are only interested in lining their pockets at the expense of the fans and the club's reputation, their tinkering is the problem.

I'm not sure where you get that our owners are just lining their pockets.

Apart from at the very top do any owners make money out of owning a football club?

As far as I can see if Scott has needed to bring players in he has and I'm sure these players are not playing for nothing.

10 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

We know that Josh is a better right back and he had a very poor game today at left back but surely no manager in his right mind would even consider putting Matt Lench at left back. 

What I actually think is we should go and try and get that lad we had last season called Luke[might not be the right Christian name] Woodhouse on loan from Wycombe Wanderers for a couple of months again as with Dan Bayliss seemingly not over reliable and Tyrese Dyce injured we need to find a solution to our left side centre and left back slot quick. Luke Woodhouse knows our manager and a lot of our players and should be able to fit in well in short time.

I only suggested Matt Lench in the left back slot as an emergency thing to do.Say one to two games. You're wrong about James Dobson he played for Chesham at left back for most of a season at one time and actually did a good job for them. 

Matt Lench is one of my favourite players at our club and for me is one of the best players we have in our team.I don't want him playing left back. I just think managers have to come up with unorthodox solutions sometimes when things aren't going well. Matt is a good tackler and a clever footballer,to me he could play any position.His biggest problem is his temperament and getting wound up strangely by seemingly innocuous events.  

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

The only tinkering I see is the club being run more professionally off the field with all the initiatives that we are seeing courtesy of our new owners.

I'm also pretty sure that Scott has the final say in anything that happens on the pitch.

Edited by Reading Rebel

4 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

What I actually think is we should go and try and get that lad we had last season called Luke[might not be the right Christian name] Woodhouse on loan from Wycombe Wanderers for a couple of months again as with Dan Bayliss seemingly not over reliable and Tyrese Dyce injured we need to find a solution to our left side centre and left back slot quick. Luke Woodhouse knows our manager and a lot of our players and should be able to fit in well in short time.

I only suggested Matt Lench in the left back slot as an emergency thing to do.Say one to two games. You're wrong about James Dobson he played for Chesham at left back for most of a season at one time and actually did a good job for them. 

Matt Lench is one of my favourite players at our club and for me is one of the best players we have in our team.I don't want him playing left back. I just think managers have to come up with unorthodox solutions sometimes when things aren't going well. Matt is a good tackler and a clever footballer,to me he could play any position.His biggest problem is his temperament and getting wound up strangely by seemingly innocuous events.  

Luca Woodhouse has just gone on loan to Worthing.

On Dobbo I can only go by what I've seen with my own eyes and apart from couldn't tackle and couldn't mark/pick up a player he was ok 😅

17 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

The only tinkering I see is the club being run more professionally off the field with all the initiatives that we are seeing courtesy of our new owners.

Which was really reflected in yesterday's attendance! A nice summer's day, and a noticeable poor turnout from us. If we don't get people through the turnstiles then all these initiatives are bound to cost the club money.

3 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Which was really reflected in yesterday's attendance! A nice summer's day, and a noticeable poor turnout from us. If we don't get people through the turnstiles then all these initiatives are bound to cost the club money.

We’re bottom of the table and had lost all 3 at home, why would you expect a higher crowd? Results are the main driver for increasing crowds and the casual fan won’t bother if the team aren’t performing/winning simple as! If anything I’d say yesterdays crowd was a lot higher than it would have been last season in the same scenario. But all the hard work off the field is in danger of going to pot if we continue in this form. Obviously nothing can change too much for Tuesday match, but for some players it may be their last chance to shine as I would hope there are some significant personnel changes before Saturday.

1 minute ago, GlenSTFC said:

We’re bottom of the table and had lost all 3 at home, why would you expect a higher crowd? Results are the main driver for increasing crowds and the casual fan won’t bother if the team aren’t performing/winning simple as!

That's precisely what I mean Glen. All these matchday initiatives are all well and good, but the bread and butter is how the first-team are getting on.

Perhaps a little more emphasis on that and less on things like Slough library stalls (though I understand our community engagements) and fancy food trucks (presumably the club is paying for these?), which aren't going to attract people through the turnstiles?

24 minutes ago, Sharpediver said:

Agree regarding midfield. A few of us watching yesterday agreed that there was nobody in midfield to just put their foot on the ball and steady things down. So many stray passes yesterday. We desperately miss Togs who played that midfield General role splendidly.

Sharpediver,what you say is true here but in defence of what happened yesterday our problems stemmed from our goalkeeper inexplicably making mistakes with his handling of the ball and the untimely injury to Joe Dandy thus Slough having to change shape when he came off.

Tonbridge were not value for their 5 goals win. In my eyes they got extremely lucky in the timing of their second and third goals as Slough capitulated and handed most of the goals to them on a plate when trying to re-organise[after Dandy left the field]. At 1-3 down we were then chasing the game and that's when the midfield space seemed to go awry. Leon Chambers Parillion seemed bewildered by what he was being asked to do and with Josh pushing up on the left side trying to get Slough back in the game we left a great gap which Tonbridge exploited and before our two forward threatening substitutes had time to effect the game,it was 1-4 and then 1-5. We got a consolation goal by George Alexander to make it 2-5 but by then it was too late.

To me it was an 'incredibly bad day at the office' and we need to forget this match and regroup for the next two hard matches we have coming up,with Tuesday's Dartford match and then facing high flying Aveley on Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Luca Woodhouse has just gone on loan to Worthing.

On Dobbo I can only go by what I've seen with my own eyes and apart from couldn't tackle and couldn't mark/pick up a player he was ok 😅

That's a blow about Luca Woodhouse as he seemed a good 'get out of jail' card to buy our team some time, for players to come back from injury.

Dobbo was exactly what you say at Slough when he was tried there by Bakes and Unders. The truth at that time was that Dobbo didn't want to be in that role within the Rebels set up. In the Chesham team he wouldn't have been in the team if he hadn't !

Edited by 3spirit

At this current time, everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it be good or bad. I can’t stress enough when I say that whatever your opinion, it’s absolutely fine to have one. No arguments with that whatsoever.

A few things from me…

Firstly, yesterday wasn’t good enough. We completely capitulated after the third goal went in. When we are where we are in the league, it’s really difficult to create the belief and confidence to ‘go again’, as everyone knows that goals change games. It felt like a situation of ‘here we go again’.

More individual errors that people will see once the highlights are out, where we look so naive/soft, whatever you want to call it. 

The 3 lads that were injured yesterday just proved how costly that was for us. Ty, Dan and Nashy are huge players for us and I know it’s easily said now but there is no way we lose that game 5-2 with them in the side.

We had to try and find a way yesterday to compete and I thought we did that in the first half, and could’ve been quite easily 2-0 up. Getting the second would’ve been huge and when Dom missed his chance, I knew at the time that was a massive moment.

As I said in my interview, we need everyone. Harsh words were spoken yesterday after the game, and everyone will be available come Tuesday, except Joe Dandy. The lads now realise we don’t have time to carry little niggles, we just need people to roll their sleeves up and give us everything they have.

People have questioned me and that’s also fine. I sit here and I question myself, so for others to do it, it’s pretty normal. I believe in myself and the staff, the players I have around me. Nobody will match my work ethic, I’m doing everything I can. We could’ve quite easily been sat on 7-8 points and yesterdays game isn’t seen in the same light, but I get that’s because we are on 3 points it’s analysed even more so.

One thing I will say is that if I ever believe that I’m not the person to change it round, I won’t over stay my welcome and put the club in jeopardy. I care more about Slough Town than I do for Scott Davies’ management career. But for now I’m determined to do the best for us all to get us out of the tricky start that we’ve encountered.

Lastly, the club/board/owners certainly aren’t ‘lining their pockets’. Non league football isn’t profitable. They’ve made the budget sustainable whilst trying to grow the club as time moves on. As for the food van comments, they’re non profitable for the club. They allow the vendors to pitch up to make food options better for those who attend.

Sorry for yesterday, but hopefully we can put things right on Tuesday. Thanks for those who have given me the support, those who can see that we have faced a bit of adversity right now but are trying to make amends, but also to those who have questioned/doubted me/us, because that will fuel our group.

Edited by Scott Davies

40 minutes ago, Nathan said:

That's precisely what I mean Glen. All these matchday initiatives are all well and good, but the bread and butter is how the first-team are getting on.

Perhaps a little more emphasis on that and less on things like Slough library stalls (though I understand our community engagements) and fancy food trucks (presumably the club is paying for these?), which aren't going to attract people through the turnstiles?

I would think the food wagons pay us a fee to have a stall at the ground.

I wrote this before seeing Scott's comments so we let the food wagons in for free to provide a service to people attending the game which is fair enough. 

Edited by Reading Rebel