Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lewes 4 - 0 ETFC

Guess its kinda normal to concede at least 4 goals these days...

Gav said he wanted to work with players to improve them rather than have a revolving door. After conceding 15 goals in 4 games he may soon have to reconsider that plan.

Edited by The Crowing Cockerel

The formation didn’t look right from the start and so it proved. 4-4-1-1 with Sykes at the top, Wylie behind and both Scott Thomas and Louis Birch in centre midfield simply didn’t work. It needed the midfield to get the ball to Sykes, who would in theory feed Wylie. But we didn’t get the ball and let Lewes pass it around at will. Thomas and Birch are identikit players and we were crying out for some variety. Sam Youngs’ absence through suspension was telling.

The first goal was key and it was so sloppy. Corner floated towards the back post and a free header. It looked like Joe Payne lost his man to me. Lewes must have had the ball for 40 of the 45 minutes and it was only a very good save from Forster that stopped us going into the break 2 down. Not a single shot at goal (never mind on target).

Hoped for an improvement in the second half but it got worse. Lewes so comfortable on the ball. I don’t know what happened to our pressing - there wasn’t any. Sykes was starved of the ball and on the rare occasions when a long ball was aimed at him, he lost possession.

Ollie Knight had a poor game and looked low on confidence, maybe his upcoming suspension was on his mind. We looked better when Beckles-Richards came on, he gave us some pace and attacking intent and at least had a shot on target, but Lewes were 3 up by then and cruising. They can’t have had an easier game all season. Very disappointing. 

I will look at the starting 11 against Billericay with interest - surely it can’t be the same after yesterday. Thomas and Birch are an either/or (I would start with Thomas) and we need Wylie and Beckles-Richards to start. With both Youngs and Knight out, I think we need Bessadi and Gucci to start in midfield. If Okotcha is fit, he starts instead of Coker though to be fair to Coker, he had a decent game yesterday with some Hansen-esqe runs forward. Maybe all 3 start and we go to a back 5 - we have got to stop leaking goals.

Interesting stage of the season right now,   I see on FB that there are fans who believe we should move to a different style of ownership and not 100% fan owned any more.

I  haven't been able to make the past 2 away games, and whilst 3 points at Kingstonian was welcome, I fear we are very different team to the compact, well organised team we had early on and even in pre season against Spurs.    There are way too many gaps at the moment and watching yesterday's goals.....each goal lewes score look like we are doing a defensive session where we are allowed to shadow without putting a tackle in.   

Something has definitely changed and I don't just buy into the fact that we had an easy run of games at the start of the season.    Whether it's shape, or tactics or just that the players aren't buying into what Gavin wants we look to be a team that isn't creating as many chances and equally are having much more trouble in midfield and at the back when it comes to defending. 

Agree with much of what you say Benji, but think there's also more to it.   We're now forced to make at least 2 changes but something isn't quite right and appreciate next week's game is going to be much more challenging with the way we are currently defending and struggling to hold on to the ball.   Here's hoping this leaking of goals can be addressed sooner rather than later without much time to turn it round. 

.Extremely interesting and worrying comments.

One cannot go on leaking goals at this rate without the  inevitable result of demotion. 

Obviously a rethink is urgently required regarding the make up of the squad. Including a realistic consideration of the ability of each member to carryout the method of play devised by the playing management. 

Alternatively the manager and his staff should consider adjusting their team plan so as to suit the squads ability to execute.!!!!

Since it is usually recognised that the power house of any successful team is generated by the midfield perhaps this is where they should consider renewal.

Considering such an exceptional decline, another thought to consider, and with no intention of being facetious, has anyone ever asked that perhaps the goal keeper has an eye test??? It is not unheard of since they are continually taking knocks etc  A suggestion which most people may think idiotic but not unheard of even in Premier and the Football leagues. 

Finally, a comment per ETFC official report, forget for the moment the two matches in hand until the points are are actually won.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

9 hours ago, djwilf said:

Interesting stage of the season right now,   I see on FB that there are fans who believe we should move to a different style of ownership and not 100% fan owned any more.

I  haven't been able to make the past 2 away games, and whilst 3 points at Kingstonian was welcome, I fear we are very different team to the compact, well organised team we had early on and even in pre season against Spurs.    There are way too many gaps at the moment and watching yesterday's goals.....each goal lewes score look like we are doing a defensive session where we are allowed to shadow without putting a tackle in.   

Something has definitely changed and I don't just buy into the fact that we had an easy run of games at the start of the season.    Whether it's shape, or tactics or just that the players aren't buying into what Gavin wants we look to be a team that isn't creating as many chances and equally are having much more trouble in midfield and at the back when it comes to defending. 

Agree with much of what you say Benji, but think there's also more to it.   We're now forced to make at least 2 changes but something isn't quite right and appreciate next week's game is going to be much more challenging with the way we are currently defending and struggling to hold on to the ball.   Here's hoping this leaking of goals can be addressed sooner rather than later without much time to turn it round. 

I would like to see Mickey P moved forward to right midfield where he can make runs and crosses 

that would mean a new right back needed

just my opinion

22 minutes ago, OldTowner said:

I would like to see Mickey P moved forward to right midfield where he can make runs and crosses 

just my opinion

Isn't the right back from the start of the season due back from injury very soon?

I seem to remember hearing that Carlos is out long term but Josh is back training?

3 CBs would allow Joe and Mickey to get forward more ...

Hope Sami hasnt left - impressed in early FAC games .. but lack of action suggests Gav doesnt rate him?

Good news we'll have Sam available tomorrow .. 

just my opinion

All the goals in the game came from weaknesses on the left side of the park. Even the first goal, though it came from a corner on the right, was a cross to the far post on the left where a Lewes defender was left unmarked.

To move Mickey from that right position would, in my view, weaken the side even further. Mickey was IMV the Enfield man of the match and did not deserve to be in the losing side.