Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Boxing Day

djwilf

Great result and we clearly had the better first half.  Second half was much closer and we rode our luck a lot.  Three good points though.

On a more concerning note, I’ve just read that the Cray v Margate game had to be abandoned when the Cray striker Bamba went down with a serious head injury.  Thoughts and prayers to him, his family and all those at Cray.

You Townies got away with that one today .Not much between the sides in my opinion. We pretty much gave you first and the second was kamikaze stuff at its worst. Disappointed with the blackleg why he went down like a sack of s##t when nobody touched him was beyond my understanding . He was embarrassing , disrespectful and a disgrace as if burning his bridges with Cheshunt wasn't  bad enough 😡

If you lot think he's the answer to propping you up at the back you lot are in for a big disappointment ....

I shall explain ...   He was part of the reason we went down last season . He is part of the reason we have leaked goals this season and he will be part of the reason you will fail to go up yet again this season , Reese wasn't all that today either ,Cheshunt have had his best years.

See you all at Easter  when the usual end of season downward slide should be well under way 😉

Think we did plenty enough to win.   

1 bad tackle against Dylan first half yet lost count of the number of yellows.

Comical defending for our 2nd but we'll take it.

Their penalty looked like a foul against our player....and ref gives a penalty.   Definitely one of the more interesting characters we'll have take a Town game this year.

Decent crowd....definitely looked like more behind the Away goal :)

38 minutes ago, djwilf said:

Think we did plenty enough to win.   

1 bad tackle against Dylan first half yet lost count of the number of yellows.

Comical defending for our 2nd but we'll take it.

Their penalty looked like a foul against our player....and ref gives a penalty.   Definitely one of the more interesting characters we'll have take a Town game this year.

Decent crowd....definitely looked like more behind the Away goal :)

Well it looked about 50/50 to me but of course no doubt it was our cup final lol.  You lot may think you've pulled a couple of fast ones with those two defectors but they'll be a disappointment at the end of the day . There is an old saying my up your own jack Townie friends...

...He that laughs last will laugh the longest 😉. I shall be doing the laughing 😁

Ah, we’ve missed you AW 🤭

Good local derby played today in front of a bumper crowd. I think your 50/50 assessment (home vs. away fans) is about right. I was also impressed by the improvements to Cheshunt’s ground (new overflow car park, wider covered terracing).

As for the game, well we will agree to disagree. ETFC were comfortably the better team in the first half and should have scored more than just the one goal, Sam Youngs once again being in the right place at the right time. What a season he is having! RBR had a couple of chances and drew some decent saves from the Cheshunt keeper; I can’t think of a single Amber shot on target in the first half.

Forster had a good game, commanded his area well, caught some high crosses and was very brave early in the second half with a headed clearance outside the area after just beating the Cheshunt CF to a through ball. Very similar clearance to when he was concussed vs. Whitehawk a couple of weeks ago and good to see that he didn’t hesitate. Excellent goalkeeping.

Second half was pretty even until we were gifted the second goal which  would have been right up there in the “Top 10 Own Goals” if Wyllie hadn’t tapped it over the line from a couple of inches out. Dreadful miscommunication between the Cheshunt CB and GK but great fun as an ETFC supporter 😂😂

At 0-2 Cheshunt got in the game more and certainly had more of the ball, but I can’t recall any clear cut chances until the theatrical referee made an absolute howler. Quite how he saw it as a penalty I still don’t know, it was so clearly a foul against Adjei-Hersey. I don’t normally comment on referees but this one was truly memorable. He made his decisions clear and wouldn’t tolerate any back chat (which is a good thing); the  problem being that his frankly incredible decision-making generated the back chat in the first place. Anyway, at least his wrong decisions seemed (on the whole) to even themselves out over the 90 plus minutes. I thought we managed the game well at 1-2 and saw the rest of the game out without too many (if any) heart in mouth moments.

Can’t end without saying something on our new signing - surely even AW may have had a wry smile when hearing some of the banter 🤭. I feel a little sorry for Okotcha who I rate as a very good CB,  but the Richmond/ Mackenzie CB partnership looked extremely strong at both ends of the pitch. I thought MacKenzie had a very solid game (all the more with the grief he knew he would face). The manager has made it clear he will only bring in players who will strengthen the squad and that is exactly what the two recent signings have done. All clubs at our level use the 7-day approach and the player made a decision. Wasn’t the first time (as both clubs well know) and probably won’t be the last.

16 hours ago, Albury_Walker said:

You Townies got away with that one today .Not much between the sides in my opinion. 

If Town had been under the cosh for 90 mins and scored in added time to win with only chance on goal I'd agree with this statement Albury. 

We were much the better side in first half and should of been 2 or 3 up. Cheshunt had lots of the ball in the 2nd half I agree but I can't remember a decent chance being created? 

Have to say the improvements made at Theobalds Lane are decent. The raised terracing the full length behind both goals with potential for roof to go on to is something we need I think although I know it costs alot to do this

We were by far the better team - I heard lots of cheshunt fans very negative about their team - with comments like men against boys, they havent turned up, as well as great enfield support. 

I bumped into an old school friend not seen in 10 years ( a Barnet fan) who reluctantly said Enfield looked good!

As others have said should have been out of sight by HT - missed plenty of chances .. RBR was very fired up for the game and was unlucky to not score ..

Keeper should have held Marcus' shot but spilled it allowing  Sam to continue his phenomenal season for us!

Dillon looked great on the wing, inviting lots of challenges and fouls .. should have squared to RBR rather than shoot from a tight angle though ..

2nd half they had possession but didnt create much .. apart from hitting the post once .. and I think we looked solid throughout the team

Great atmosphere and great song about Taylor ... roll on Cray on Friday!

Overall 

A good result in front of an excellent crowd. I'm 12,000 miles away and only seen 6plus minutes of highlights, so hard to offer any opinion except to say if you are coming on this forum as an opposing supporter best to look at the league table first. ETFC is currently 3rd, 3 points behind second with 2 games in hand. Cheshunt are 1 position above relegation places. I doubt that will change that much by Easter despite one person's comments.

I am happy with how it's gone this season and hope the team can keep it up.

I think we need to put in an official complaint about the ref. If nothing else it may stop us getting him again this season. That was the worse penalty decision i think i have ever seen, especially when the you consider what a good view he got of the incident. If anything it was a booking the other way. This is not the first time with this ref. A few months ago he gave a penalty against us when our keeper clearly won the ball fairly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id1-kHliEmY

Penalty 3m 45s

Best view at 4m 10s.

Agree 100%
even the Cheshunt supporters thought it was a Town free kick

this referee was the same poor ref at our Hashtag match booking our keeper for handball outside the box when the ref was in the other half of the pitch and no Lino flag

total disgrace

Club should definitely object to this guy doing any more games at this level as certainly not more Town games

Be interesting to hear from other Clubs in our league that he has “appeared at”

Very poor standard.