Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Current MyFC membership

doheochai

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast

When the deal was first announced figures of 50,000 members where being bandied about but four months later they have not managed to reach the 30,000 mark.
A significant number of the current members seem to have lost interest already if the numbers voting are anything to go by and if that trend is not altered MyFC will not achieve anywhere near the 15,000 renewals they say they need to operate next year.
I hope their is a decent exit strategy in place.

I think you're playing with the numbers a little Slarti. No one ever talked about 50,000 memebrs when the deal was announced. 53,000 people initially registered their interest on the website. These people were subsequntly sent an email asking them to join by paying £35. A substantial number did. The figure at the time of the deal being announced in November was not revealed but, given the number of sign-ups since then, was probably in the region of 18,000-20,000. Since then another 8,000-10,000 people have joined.

There is no evidence that A significant number of the current members seem to have lost interest already. We have had a couple of votes that were foregone conclusions, with a turn-out of about 50% or more and all of a sudden there is huge apathy and the whole project is going to fail. Given that MyFC is internet based - a 50% turn-out is excellent. It is significantly higher than the last British local elections. And I will now forcast an even lower turn-out in the MyFC Board elections (particularly with the fact that there are 103 candidates).

As regards membership renewals. Firstly, we are at the start of the 12 month membership period, not the end. Everyone is aware that this is a challange and will continue to be, but over 1,800 have already extended their membership and this will continue to grow during the year (as will the actual memebrship figures as well). If there is a crisis, it will be in February 2009 not in February 2008.

Originally Posted By: jc
Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary

In short, it's not the way things have been done over the past 60 years, no wonder there is still apathy over the venture.

'Antipathy', surely?

Apologies for the nitpicking, Gary - I too seem to have come over all funny and have started agreeing with a not insubstantial amount of what you post.

No problem JC.
The real concern is when we reach the point of no return, ie, the deal is signed, sealed and delivered.
If it goes belly up in, say, 3 years, i wonder whether the club could survive.
I am not saying the club could survive in it's present form - given the alledged level of debt and and a deficit of £27,000 per month, few would give the club a long term future at this level.
It is a shame that more models and scenario's were not offered (perhaps they were?) to the board.
I remain unconvinced that Fleet are the correct club to be the footballing equivalent to "Big Brother" in such a radiacal and untried/unproven venture.

Originally Posted By: jc

In short, it's not the way things have been done over the past 60 years, no wonder there is still apathy over the venture.

'Antipathy', surely?

Apologies for the nitpicking, Gary - I too seem to have come over all funny and have started agreeing with a not insubstantial amount of what you post.

No problem JC.
The real concern is when we reach the point of no return, ie, the deal is signed, sealed and delivered.
If it goes belly up in, say, 3 years, i wonder whether the club could survive.
I am not saying the club could survive in it's present form - given the alledged level of debt and and a deficit of £27,000 per month, few would give the club a long term future at this level.
It is a shame that more models and scenario's were not offered (perhaps they were?) to the board.
I remain unconvinced that Fleet are the correct club to be the footballing equivalent to "Big Brother" in such a radiacal and untried/unproven venture.

Sadly GC that is the fear of many ......

All I hope is that when this MyFc ownership passes into history, and I really believe it will do maybe as soon as the 2009/10 season, that a club remains for the people of Gravesham and Ebbsfleet to support.

Look out Ryman League South or Kent League here we come.

Doheochai. Your complete 100% blind faith in this whole venture truly does impress me.

The amount of debate going on at the moment on the MyFC forums seems to suggest that not all of the members of the website share this.

Also, how can there be a vote going on to choose members to a board to make sure the votes go properly when votes are already going through? Who is implementing the results of these votes?

I got into a debate last night on the MyFC forum when I asked the perfectly sensible question of why was this board not set up before any major decisions were made? It seems silly to me that you are trying to make changes to the Fleet when your own house, or even general direction is far from in order.

Just a thought like.

Originally Posted By: doheochai

I think you're playing with the numbers a little Slarti. No one ever talked about 50,000 memebrs when the deal was announced. 53,000 people initially registered their interest on the website. These people were subsequntly sent an email asking them to join by paying £35. A substantial number did. The figure at the time of the deal being announced in November was not revealed but, given the number of sign-ups since then, was probably in the region of 18,000-20,000. Since then another 8,000-10,000 people have joined.

The 50,000 comes from the number of people who registered an interest - this was needed to 'trigger' the call for membership (and money). Even back in November the 20,000 figure was being quoted.

There is no evidence that A significant number of the current members seem to have lost interest already.

If all that £35 was going to get me was the chance to vote - then if I was at all interested, I would vote! And you think that losing 50% isn't a worry?

We have had a couple of votes that were foregone conclusions, with a turn-out of about 50% or more and all of a sudden there is huge apathy and the whole project is going to fail. Given that MyFC is internet based - a 50% turn-out is excellent.

Half of the members bothering is excellent? Nope, not by any standards - especially for something at the very beginning.
If only 50% of current numbers renew, would that be enough to continue next year?

It is significantly higher than the last British local elections. And I will now forcast an even lower turn-out in the MyFC Board elections (particularly with the fact that there are 103 candidates).

Already makes a mockery of the whole system then?

As regards membership renewals. Firstly, we are at the start of the 12 month membership period, not the end. Everyone is aware that this is a challange and will continue to be, but over 1,800 have already extended their membership and this will continue to grow during the year (as will the actual memebrship figures as well). If there is a crisis, it will be in February 2009 not in February 2008.

The problem is not convincing people like yourself, or any other of the MyFC members who post here - its the 50% who seem to be already lost you need to concentrate on.

Originally Posted By: PatMan

If all that £35 was going to get me was the chance to vote - then if I was at all interested, I would vote! And you think that losing 50% isn't a worry?

Neither you nor I know if the same people are voting on each vote or if different people are voting. So 50% may not be voting at all, 100% may actually be voting - or somewhere in between. I am sure that this issue will be one the new Board will look at when elected.

If only 50% of current numbers renew, would that be enough to continue next year?

yes and would still probably turnover £500,000-£750,000 for the club.

The problem is not convincing people like yourself, or any other of the MyFC members who post here - its the 50% who seem to be already lost you need to concentrate on.

Are they lost on that island with those guys from the plane crash?

I thought that if the membership fell below 15,000 then you were required to throw in the towel, as it were.

Neither you nor I know if the same people are voting on each vote or if different people are voting. So 50% may not be voting at all, 100% may actually be voting - or somewhere in between. I am sure that this issue will be one the new Board will look at when elected.

Think we both know its going to be a lot closer to 50%, especially considering how many emails your web-team reckon aren't being opened!

How does 14,000 multiplied by £27.50 end up with £750,000?

Are they lost on that island with those guys from the plane crash?

No Dom, that's a TV show, its just make-believe - this happens to be real

Originally Posted By: David Holden

I thought that if the membership fell below 15,000 then you were required to throw in the towel, as it were.

No - if the membership falls below 15,000 it triggers a vote of the membership to decide what to do.

How does 14,000 multiplied by £27.50 end up with £750,000?

Members contribute more than just membership subscriptions.

No Dom, that's a TV show, its just make-believe - this happens to be real

But the way you were talking Pat, I thought they must have dropped off the face of the earth.

Members contribute more than just membership subscriptions.

So you are just guessing? Thats ok then. After all, I guessed at numbers.

But the way you were talking Pat, I thought they must have dropped off the face of the earth.

They might as well have, for all the interest they are showing in MyFC!

Think we both know its going to be a lot closer to 50%, especially considering how many emails your web-team reckon aren't being opened!

Still sticking to this line Dom? If this is a case of how MyFC are 'open and honest', I'd hate to see the spin they would manage for something important!

Pat - having MyFC involved will significantly increase revenue streams all across the board from merchandising sales, to gate receipts, to increased revenue from sponsorship and advertising etc etc.

The potential exists to double what is coming in from members subscriptions.

I'll make a bet with you

We'll take the membership at 28,000 = £770,000 (members subscriptions).

If in twelve months time the turnover isn't at £1.5million from increases in members and all other avenues of revenue I will buy you a pint. If it is you buy me three.

Pat - having MyFC involved will significantly increase revenue streams all across the board from merchandising sales, to gate receipts, to increased revenue from sponsorship and advertising etc etc.

I'll make a bet with you

If in twelve months time the turnover isn't at £1.5million from increases in members and all other avenues of revenue I will buy you a pint. If it is you buy me three.

Dom, I'll take your bet. On the proviso, you can prove that the majority of £1.5million turnover is down to MyFC activity?

I'll make a bet with you

Dom, I'll take your bet. On the proviso, you can prove that the majority of £1.5million turnover is down to MyFC activity?

The way he can massage numbers, PatMan...........Start saving for those pints!

Originally Posted By: American FLEET FAN No1

The way he can massage numbers, PatMan...........Start saving for those pints!

Heh Heh AFF - so assuming I lose (and to be honest, if I did - it would be great news for the Fleet, so wouldn't really mind losing)

That's 3 pints, less an 'operators' fee, minus 50% lost due to lack of interest, but add multi-year subscriptions, take away the Fleet Leisure compounded facility, then have a vote which is already a foregone conclusion about what the pints will be - Jaysus, I could almost end up with Dom having to buy ME pints either way!!

I'll make a bet with you

Are you talking MyFC revenue or Ebbsfleet?

I'll take a bet with you that you don't have 28,000 members come renewal time.