Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

How many Ebbsfleet supporters are MyFC members ?

Derryman

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast
Whoops, The idea of someone in Australia setting his alarm clock for 2:00 am to listen to Lord Chas and getting excited over the Fleet really appeals to me JC.

Unfortunately, as someone who finds attending matches absolutely essential to my supportership and couldn't imagine it any other way, it doesn't excite me in the slightest. In fact, (although I suspect you agree with me on this), I find posts like waggamick's above truly frightening.

That's not to say I think all those who don't attend many or any matches aren't true supporters - far from it. After all, as has always been the case, there are exiles originally from the local area who find it difficult or impossible. But what is the true emotional connection to the club for someone who's lived in Australia (for example) all their life and has no family connections to the area? I just can't fathom it.

I have nothing against the concept of 'fan ownership' - provided it entails ownership by actual traditional supporters of a club. MyFC is a rather different model from, say, AFC Wimbledon's, I'm sure you'd all agree.

Don't worry, Slarti - as I've said elsewhere, my support for the Club itself, and what it traditionally represents, remains undimmed. But it doesn't matter how much you try to persuade me, Paul - I won't be paying my £35. Why would I join up to an organisation whose model I inherently oppose?

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

it is of course still losing 27k per month gary which if I recall is against the provident societies rules....

no matter....we'll ignore that one shall we... laugh

I wish you would spend as much energy on trying to encourage rather than criticise, I'm sure that we will be able to get that debt down to more reasonable levels.

You claim to have multiple memberships of MYFC, which IS against the rules but then spend the rest of your time discouraging others to join which seems a bit odd to me.

JC.

The problem with just a local based "fan ownership" is that it would cost too much for everyone to be able to do it. Ebbsfleet got an average of about 1000 last year and even if they all paid up, they will still need to be forking out something like £600 or £700 a year minimum.

Quite a few MYFC non locals have started going to matches now and buying merchandise etc and i think it is probably already making a difference. I think the much larger numbers of away supporters in particular has also made a difference to the team.

I have been to 10 matches myself since November and plan to go to another 5 or 6 possibly before the end of the season, I think that makes me a fan. I have also been encouraging others to do the same and i think it is starting to have an effect. Would you prefer that I stopped going and encouraging others to do the same?

Originally Posted By: Arithon

The problem with just a local based "fan ownership" is that it would cost too much for everyone to be able to do it. Ebbsfleet got an average of about 1000 last year and even if they all paid up, they will still need to be forking out something like £600 or £700 a year minimum.

I think JC was agreeing with the concept in theory, not in practice. Inevitably a supporter base as small as ours would not be able to support a Conference club alone, unless we had one or many rich supporters.

Quite a few MYFC non locals have started going to matches now and buying merchandise etc and i think it is probably already making a difference. I think the much larger numbers of away supporters in particular has also made a difference to the team.

I would like to point out that most MYFC members who turn up for Ebbsfleet games go to the away ones (how many of your numerous fanbase popped down to Stonebridge Road for the Burton replay?) and thus are giving their money largely to other teams.

Buying merchandise in itself is not a bad thing, it's just a concept I struggle with. I didn't rush out to buy Tamworth merchandise after seeing their match with Forest Green a few years back. I have no affinity with these teams, as they are so far away, so why would someone from the Midlands, the North, America or Swaziland have any affinity with Ebbsfleet? Is it the internet friends they are gaining? Is it having their fingers in the new Ebbsfleet money pie? Is it so that they can all brag about how much they have given our club in terms of cash, attendance, posts on this forum etc?

I find it very difficult to join MYFC when I cannot fathom the mentality of its members.

I have been to 10 matches myself since November and plan to go to another 5 or 6 possibly before the end of the season, I think that makes me a fan. I have also been encouraging others to do the same and i think it is starting to have an effect. Would you prefer that I stopped going and encouraging others to do the same?

Congratulations on your attendance and long may it continue. You are, however, very much in the minority and I sense an uphill struggle in encouraging even 5% of your fellow members to go regularly to games.

I'm afraid I can't get past the fad-ish nature of this venture and worry about the fickle nature of many MYFC members. Will there still be 28,000 members next year, when various expectations they had do not come to pass? Will there still be 28,000 members in two year's time if we fail to get promoted next year?

I'll wager that no one is able to guage the personalities of every MYFC member, so easy is it hide behind an internet persona. However much people reassure me this is for the best, I cannot help but remain sceptical about 28,000 or so anonymous, virtual individuals having a say in my club.

The important thing is that people like JC and Bernard continue to support the Fleet, of course it would be a bonus if as many Fleet fans as possible joined MyFc particularly from a renewal point of view. We all know we are here for the long run I believe some of the MyFC members are too but who knows how many?

On the subject of ownership I think I am a lot happier with 30,000 people contributing £27.50 each than I would be with one unknown putting in £725,000, but that is just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Bernard
I feel no lust to give £35 to the club, via MYFC, since I have little interest in the venture itself, aside from the money we will gain from it. To me, the heart of the club, despite the name-change, the takeover and various interfering parties, still remains and I will continue to support EUFC, and with it the Fleet Trust, as a result.

That's all you need.

I don't see any reason why any long-standing Fleet fan should sign up as it is is being suggested recently. Nothing can be done to stop what is happening but it sure can be ignored; Tuesday's game was immense and the pride that was felt can only really truly be felt by the people who were there to watch it, something MyFc can never take away from any real fan, following on from what Bernard said.

Ignorance is bliss in this instance and I'm happy to let MyFc run in the background as long as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of watching the Fleet.

I'm sick of reading about it on here, though. More posts about the game itself are needed.

The fans that went to Burton in the trophy will have contributed as much to the Fleet as if they went to the home replay, because both teams take 45 % after expences. I agree that home attendances are the way that money has to be made that can reduce the monthly debts. I know that a coach trial to a home game is being planned, but arrangements keep on being messed up by the trophy and TV moving matches. I believe Cams Utd was to have been the trial run.

For the record I am not hostile to MyFC. In the short term they will assist the Club. They are the outgoing directors Plan A. In the medium to long term though who knows? I regret many subscribers may simply not renew when the "pick the team" promise fails to materialise in respect of a club they have no emotional commitment to. It is dangerous to make representations which can't be realistically delivered and virtually everyone appears to agree that LD will still pick the team. In the end we may all be forced to find a plan B after all.

I will not be joining MyFC. The reason for this however is the particular nature of my role as the Society Secretary of the Fleet Trust. A Trust Secretary is the only legally required officer of an IPS Supporters' Trust. I am among other things supposed to be "the conscience of the Trust" and I feel that this could be compromised if I do not remain independent.

I hope to forge a good relationship with the MyFC Society Board Secretary, whenever they get round to selecting such a person! I already have a list of legal matters to bring to this persons attention! I understand that this role awaits one of the 7 successful candidates in the forthcoming election. Did they know this by chance?

I will also continue to liaise with the club's secretary where decisions affect Trust members.

The important thing is that people like JC and Bernard continue to support the Fleet, of course it would be a bonus if as many Fleet fans as possible joined MyFc particularly from a renewal point of view. We all know we are here for the long run I believe some of the MyFC members are too but who knows how many?

On the subject of ownership I think I am a lot happier with 30,000 people contributing £27.50 each than I would be with one unknown putting in £725,000, but that is just my opinion.

I can't deny that I am also concerned about getting a high number of renewals next year. I worry that the "pick the team" aspect has been over sold and i really want to start emphasising the other aspects of running the club. We also need to keep in constant contact with members so they don't just drift off disinterested. Its a real concern and I won't pretend otherwise. For me, the more locals that join the better. It will help to keep the emphasis on Ebbsfleet being a local club. I understand the fear of being "swamped" by strangers, but, at least physically, this is unlikely to be the case. Forget getting 5% of MYFC members attending, if only 0.5% attend regularly it will have a major effect on the clubs finances and will swell but not swamp the attendance. I am not hassling locals who don't want to join to do so but it would help enormously if there was less antagonism towards MYFC. It saps the energy of hose that really do want to make a go of it and makes the club successful.

On the ownership issue; although we will have to work hard to get people to stay involved, the question also has to be asked. who would the club get to buy the club that was prepared to fork out £320,000 every year to cover the losses? Why do you think the current owners wanted to sell to us in the first place?

In ajnswer to th complaint that MYFC members only go to away matches, it simply isn't true. The Burton replay was an unfair example, it was an evening match and it is difficult to get to the ground in time after work. This was the case with me and I know it was for others too. I have been to home matches and met up with many MYFC members on saturdays and there has been a few times when the attendance has been swelled by upwards of 200 people for home games. Its fun basically, and the chance to meet people who you have been chatting to on forums is itself a real draw. I think it could become a habit for a reasonable core of members with the occasional attendance of less regular folk for the odd game.

Finally I don't believe that many members have an unrealistic expectation of Ebbsfleet's promotion chances and if it doesn't happen this year I don't think it will have a major effect on membership numbers. A wembley appearance will be a real bonus though and I think everything should be put into the 2 games against Aldershot.

Exactly. Well said that Slarti.

I am less happy about the pick the team aspect than anything else & it's of course this that most detractors in the media immediately seize upon as unworkable. I have been filling out the team selector in the dry run that is currently in operation & have found that my lineup is pretty similar to Liam's but not identical - because I haven't known about knocks to players or taken into account resting key players who are on the verge of a suspension with the FA Trophy semi finals looming. When it becomes a reality, my understanding is that we will have access to Liam's thoughts re injuries, players who need resting, horses for courses etc (as will the opposition of course if they have MyFC membership!)

My guess is that when that happens the majority view will go with what Liam wants, it has on 2 votes re funding so far. As such, I shall continue to contribute to picking the team to ensure that it is not just left to the few mavericks & wannabe football managers.

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

it is of course still losing 27k per month gary which if I recall is against the provident societies rules....

no matter....we'll ignore that one shall we... laugh

I wish you would spend as much energy on trying to encourage rather than criticise, I'm sure that we will be able to get that debt down to more reasonable levels.

You claim to have multiple memberships of MYFC, which IS against the rules but then spend the rest of your time discouraging others to join which seems a bit odd to me.

bit wide of the mark there old chap...I do what I do to highlight the cracks in the scheme because it is those such anomolies that may well bite the club in future months ...its okay ignoring the broken rules when it suits you but you will be screaming soon enough when more rules get broken that don't...keep watching that new membership meter because you need 770 new members each month just to cover the trading loss let alone the executive pay deals and the rent on FL...

mutliple membership to prove that the rules can be broken and will be if it suits others...I have never attempted to stop anyone from joining MyFc and indeed encourage everyone I speak to to join up if only to have a giggle at their forum...

I have a Confession to make.

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It is about 38 years since my last Confession.

I set out for the Northwich game on Saturday but when it came to actually driving past my usual footy haunt en route, the car just refused to go any further - that's the honest truth, it wasn't my fault, Father.

I'm trying hard to support Ebbsfleet United but you see, Father, I've followed and been devoted to another all these years and cannot simply switch affections overnight like some. Indeed, Father, I am suspicious of those who say they can.

Three Hail Marys and a tenner in the Poor Box, you say, Father ? That's a very fair penance. Err ... but there's just one thing else, Father, before I leave - we're at home next week as well ! frown

Bernard, I don't speak for anyone else, so this is one man's viewpoint. But you said you didn't understand why an American could be genuinely interested in EUFC, so let me quickly answer, again, solely for myself.

I've been a football fan only for 5 years. Before American cable companies started carrying a lot of football matches, I simply wasn't exposed to it and didn't care one way or the other. Like most people who don't follow the game, I couldn't understand what was exciting about a game that could end 0-0. TV coverage changed all that and I gradually became a big fan of the game, although I didn't have a team to associate with. I casually followed Newcastle, but couldn't really say it was "my" club (not in an ownership sense, but in a close follower sense).

MyFootballClub allowed me the opportunity to become closer with a game I've grown to love and now a club I can follow exclusively. I'm sure it would have been different for me -- as it is with many MyFC members -- if I already had a close tie to a club. Then Ebbsfleet would become my second club. But since I didn't have that tie already, it was easy for Ebbsfleet to become my first club.

I haven't been to Stonebridge Road yet. That will come in April for me. But I'm looking towards this as a long, long relationship, not a flash in the pan, even if MyFC someday ends its involvement.

Again, just my standpoint, but I hope it makes some sense.

In ajnswer to th complaint that MYFC members only go to away matches, it simply isn't true. The Burton replay was an unfair example, it was an evening match and it is difficult to get to the ground in time after work.

This problem could of course be avoided if one supported one's local side.

Originally Posted By: Bernard

I find it very difficult to join MYFC when I cannot fathom the mentality of its members.

Absolutely. Bernard's basically answered Arithon's questions for me. It's not a question of 'preferring' it if people living afar stopped buying merchandise and attending matches; it's just that I can't understand why someone living in (for example) Northwich would prefer to pledge allegiance to the Fleet rather than Northwich Victoria. To me, local pride is essential to supportership in the non-league game (and should be higher up the leagues too).

Originally Posted By: Hannah

I don't see any reason why any long-standing Fleet fan should sign up as it is is being suggested recently. Nothing can be done to stop what is happening but it sure can be ignored; Tuesday's game was immense and the pride that was felt can only really truly be felt by the people who were there to watch it, something MyFc can never take away from any real fan, following on from what Bernard said.

Ignorance is bliss in this instance and I'm happy to let MyFc run in the background as long as it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of watching the Fleet.

This sums my stance up superbly.

I guess thats always going to be a hard one for 'traditional' fans to understand... Premiership teams attract world-wide fans due to media exposure and/or success on the field. But down at lower league levels, you don't choose a team - it kinda chooses you. Its about where you are from, or the team that ya Dad supported and therefore dragged ya along to.

It becomes very much 'your' team at this level, a very personal choice. The reasons for following them up and down the country, through good and bad times are very easy to understand. Football fans very rarely switch sides away from their local team, there is a 'bond' there.

I guess a lot of issues are to do with the fact that so many new fans didn't choose Fleet - they followed the decision made for them, so its not a 'real' choice.

I am sure that had MyFC chosen any other team you would have ended up following them with just as much passion as you do Fleet, another reason that traditional fans think that for many, EUFC is just a passing fad.

Most of the MyFC members who post here seem to think that they would still be Fleet fans if the MyFC thing fails - which is only good. I wonder how many would re-join MyFC tho, if they were to start again with a 'closer to home' team, where they would be able to attend more home games, rather than one or two away fixtures?

Originally Posted By: PatMan
I guess thats always going to be a hard one for 'traditional' fans to understand... Premiership teams attract world-wide fans due to media exposure and/or success on the field. But down at lower league levels, you don't choose a team - it kinda chooses you. Its about where you are from, or the team that ya Dad supported and therefore dragged ya along to.

It becomes very much 'your' team at this level, a very personal choice. The reasons for following them up and down the country, through good and bad times are very easy to understand. Football fans very rarely switch sides away from their local team, there is a 'bond' there.

I guess a lot of issues are to do with the fact that so many new fans didn't choose Fleet - they followed the decision made for them, so its not a 'real' choice.
I am sure that had MyFC chosen any other team you would have ended up following them with just as much passion as you do Fleet, another reason that traditional fans think that for many, EUFC is just a passing fad.

Most of the MyFC members who post here seem to think that they would still be Fleet fans if the MyFC thing fails - which is only good. I wonder how many would re-join MyFC tho, if they were to start again with a 'closer to home' team, where they would be able to attend more home games, rather than one or two away fixtures?
I can't disagree with you here at all. I'm sure if MyFC had selected a different club, I'd have felt the same attachment there I'm beginning to have now for Ebbsfleet. That's true enough, and I understand how that attachment is different from one that is almost a birthright. But it's an attachment nonetheless, and one that will grow stronger over the years, I trust.

I know that a percentage of MyFC members are not helping the cause in trying to bring the two camps together, but I hope they'll be written off as fringe members by both local supporters and MyFC members. A lot of that will be sorted when renewal time comes around. That's the single statistic I'll be watching as a measure of success.

When the announcement was made in November, I think we had in the neighborhood of 20,000 members and a lot was said regarding how many we'd have come renewal time. Fortunately, we've swelled the membership quite a bit since then and I hope that continues so that the inevitable turnover still sees us above that original 20,000 threshhold.

Originally Posted By: Yorkfox
The fans that went to Burton in the trophy will have contributed as much to the Fleet as if they went to the home replay, because both teams take 45 % after expences.

Does that include money spent in the bar or on programmes/half-time draw tickets etc?

I stand corrected, You are quite right. Quite a document that when you look through it. I was looking at it last week and was interested that for very long trips, a team can claim an overnight hotel stay. I think it was 5 hours, or would have to leave before 8am Sat . The £3.00 per coach mile travelling expence was interesting too.